ISU's Dore talks Olympic team figure skating event, min. scores & injury timeout rule

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

David Dore conducted the annual ISU press conference at Worlds yesterday and covered a range of topics: http://www.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130316&content_id=42839970&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
  2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Does Tessa stopping to have her baby qualify as a "health problem"? :lol:
    TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  3. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Well, at least he's honest about the crappy scheduling of the team event. The ISU wanted to do it at the end but the TV broadcasters said a big NO and in the end money rules the world. *sigh*
  4. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Specifically US TV broadcasters who believe the ladiezzzzz event is the be-all and end-all of skating.
  5. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

But can Russia actually switch men between team and singles to get around having one man?
  6. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I would say it does.

BTW, do you know when Meryl is expecting hers? ;)
  7. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

As I understand it, and I am certain someone will correct me if I am wrong, no, Russia (or any other nation) cannot do that. Russia has qualified one man, two ladies, three pairs and three dance, for Olympics and it must field its team using the athletes it brings. However, if, say, another country has qualified Olympic spots in just 3 of the four disciplines, it can add a non-qualified skater ("alternative athlete") to the team. So Italy, who did not qualify a man in London, can bring an alternative athlete for the team event, and that athlete doesn't have to meet the minimum TES set for other men, he has to meet the minimum TES set for the alternative athletes.

What a team can do: if it has two or more athletes qualified in an event, it may use one for the short and, presuming it qualifies for final, another for free dance or free skate. So Russia could field, say, Tukt in short, and Sotnikova in free. However, a country can only do this twice. TMI?