ISU YouTube Channel Debuts with JGP Latvia Videos

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by Visaliakid, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

The ISU has finally decided to join the 21st century media today, Launching their Official YouTube Channel. They have been uploading JGP Latvia short program videos from all disciplines shortly after each performance.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ISUJGP2011 :D

2. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

That is awesome!

3. FarFarAway

FarFarAway Choice is an illusion

I only wish that ISU starts broadcasting live one day. May be on their web-site and I am even ready to pay reasonable price for that.

However, thanks ISU for that wonderful gift and opportunity on YouTube :)

4. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

There was the ISU Web TV during worlds this year: $10 for the entire event, live and on demand in HD!!

10 bucks well spent for me :) I'll definetively be paying again when (and if) it comes around.

5. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this!

6. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Thanks so much for the info and for the links! :D

7. FarFarAway

Well, Worlds are not so much important since they are well-covered by our national TV channels, and, anyway, it was geoblocked (I tried the test video and it asked me to go farfaraway:D).

What I really would like to see live on ISU website is JGP and, probably, senior GP.:shuffle:

8. Sayana_mnk

Sayana_mnk Member

Since it seems unlikely that they will be broadcasted anywhere, the preliminary rounds from Europeans and Worlds are what I would really like to see on the new ISU youtube channel. I was very disappointed that there was no way to see the lower level skaters at worlds this year.

9. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Thanks to the ISU! Each program is downloaded practically minutes after it is skated...so it's almost live.

10. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

What a treat! I hope they continue with every JGP event.

11. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

This is great. Thanks for sharing! :D

12. FarFarAway

Yeah, that's an excellent idea, too.

13. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

Oh wow! This is excellent! :)

14. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I really appreciated the live ISU feed for Worlds. Glad that they are doing something like this. They probably realise if they want ownership of their copyright, this is one way they can protect it.

Now if only the IOC would do the same with the Olympics.

15. FarFarAway

I only wish they wouldn't geoblock their feeds. It is much better to watch the events without any comments or with professional comments in English. Russian commentators are sometimes :scream::yikes:

16. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Nice! Thanx for posting.

17. skfan

skfan Member

i would pay to have it in HD, on demand, without commentary. is that workable in countries where they sold exclusive rights to NBC, ice network, etc?

18. icellist

icellist Member

i've been watching the jgp videos on their channel but does anyone think that the silhouette of the man skating on the left side have an extra large butt? it just looked kinda abnormally large...

19. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I used to make a joke that we will be able to watch an event on the "YouTube Channel". I guess now we really can.

20. Visaliakid

The ISU tweeted yesterday that they are looking into providing HD quality videos of all JGP Brisbane performances on DVD and they would provide an update when info was finalized.

21. skfan

skfan Member

forgive my tech ignorance, but i'm pretty sure someone told me that you can't get HD on dvd--dvd is basically a low resolution format, no better than the old 720x480 at best. for HD don't you need blu-ray or such???

it would make sense that they stopped putting up the 720p version because they are planning to sell it.:rofl:

i think this works--they don't have to pay commentators, so it's cheaper for them, and i can hear the skaters' music uninterrupted by (usually biased) commentary.

22. Visaliakid

Answer to the question "Will the ISU provide similar uploads of videos from performances of Senior Grand Prix events: No!

Quoting David Dore, ISU VP - Figure Skating who was asked about this recently, "Sorry but due to television rights they will not be able to show the Senior (Grand Prix) or the (ISU) Championships in the same way. However, the Grand Prix is to be expanded on Euorvision. I do understand that the ISU is working with the rights holders to provide some on-line coverage, which could be interesting"

23. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

If only they provide coverage of the qualifying rounds at europeans, 4cc and worlds.... its not like the tv right holders are covering or airing the preliminaries, so why they couldn´t do it??

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  24. FarFarAway

Oh, does it mean that GP will be broadcast on something like Eurovisionsports.tv?:shuffle:

25. Visaliakid

Because when the ISU sells the rights to all their events coverage to media in countries around the world, those rights include all portions of each event. Whether or not the media chooses to televise all segments of each competition (including preliminary rounds) does not matter. The ISU does cannot violate the terms of it's contractual agreements with each media entity.

26. Visaliakid

There was no further explaination from Mr. Dore other than to mention Eurovision. Make whatever assumptions you take from that until further information is formally released, and I have no clue as to when that might occur. Just passing on what I learned.

27. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

Well that makes sense in a way, but why did the ISU not provide coverage of the preliminary rounds at Moscow worlds in their On Demand Channel that streamed the whole championships??

I think that it´s ok that ISU cannot violate the terms of contractual coverage with those tv companies that buy the rights, but why they can´t show the rest of the world the preliminary rounds via their own service of PPV-On demand?

28. FarFarAway

I wish they could show that, but in Russia that On Demand service is, or rather was, not available at the Worlds 2011.:(