ISU Technical Panel Handbooks updated

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Aussie Willy, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

2. used2skate

used2skate New Member

Links to the 2011-12 handbook. The new one was on line for a little while this morning???

3. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Hmmm they updated the Pair one but not the Singles one. Someone is bound to tell them the old version is on there soon.

I just got an email with both documents so I assumed they were both updated.

4. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Thanks AW. A few observations:

The explicit definition of the layback makes including the Biellmann as a feature even more non-sensical.

8 revs of basic sit position is no longer a feature?

:cheer: for flying camels being able to count as a difficult entry again (but only in FS, not SP)

I hate that they got rid of the 3 second spiral rule. :(

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Good as it's not exactly very hard to perform. :p

Not sure I am happy with this change. We'll see everybody starting their combo with a flying camel now. :p

Yeah, we're gonna be back to kicks pretending to be spirals. :/

6. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

If a flying camel counts as difficult, then is there any flying entry that isn't considered difficult?

And if any flying entry gets bullets, why not just code flying spins as worth more overall? (I thought that already happened anyway) :confused:

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Flying combination spin is worth more than combination spin.

But starting it with a camel (unlike starting it with a sit or upright) is considered a difficult variation.

Btw, they really should finally ban flying uprights in the SP.

8. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

YES! Especially after what Abbott did last season. :scream:

9. ice_sk8r

ice_sk8r New Member

They should ban flying uprights but not flying laybacks. I'm a guy that does one and it's not an easy spin to do at all, it should be worth the extra points IMO.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yeah, flying laybacks are clearly more difficult to perform than flying uprights because arching the back means it's much harder to balance after the landing.

11. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

There's no need to ban flying upright spins. Just start with a low base mark and no feature for the fly (unless it's in a laid back or other difficult position).

If it's impossible to get level 4 by jumping in a neutral upright position, the more ambitious skaters won't bother with it.

But I do like seeing ways skaters can be creative within the requirements and restrictions.

12. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Me too. I notice Chinese skaters have the exact same spins which makes it boring to watch them.

I am glad there are now more features for spins for skaters to choose from and they are now allowed to count more than 2 difficult variations as features if they are so capable of doing them.

13. ice_sk8r

ice_sk8r New Member

The flying camel isn't going to be classed as a difficult entry, what it means is that if you do a flying camel as an entry and then do a difficult fly you will still get the second entry called even though a fly has already been attempted. I got excited at first too but then I had it clarified by an ISU TS. It would be nice to e allowed to a flying camel entry for a feature, it's so much easier!!