ISU removing youtube videos

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Judge Dred, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Judge Dred

Judge Dred New Member

I have found it impossible to keep up with figure skating this season as its no longer shown where I am :( Youtube has helped. But guess what, the ISU are taking down the videos :lynch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyirus7iTGY

Thank you very much ISU :mitchell: If they want to switch off there own life support machine, then good luck to them. No wonder folk are walking away. There is so much else to follow without having to climb mount everest :mad:

2. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I have not read the article yet, but this sucks big time. Our TV stations don't cover FS. The YT is a wonderful way to not only watch current skating but also skaters from the past.
    I am already starved for live coverage of FS. Now they are taking away all the remaining pleasure from me. :mad:

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

The somewhat good news is that you can watch all the WTT programs at the ISU site.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

http://livemanager.eurovision.edgesuite.net/isu/site/index.html
    "Replay of the ISU World Team Trophy 2013, Tokyo Japan. Due to rights restrictions, this video is not available in the following territories: Korea and Japan."

5. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

ITA - When interest in figure skating is dwindling around the world and TV coverage is getting worse and worse, this was one of the few ways left for fans to see skating and for new viewers to be introduced to it. Their cutting their own throats by removing them.

I dont even understand what they are losing by leaving them up. It's not like they have their own internet channel where you can pay and watch anything you want. So what are they losing???? They do put some things on their website, but they are often geoblocked, and they are free - so they are losing nothing with YouTube vids. It's a good way to advertise the sport and keep the fans happy. Other sports care about things like that and that attitude helps make them successful.

This decision is just crazy.

6. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Lol . . . Yep, that's right. Nip the business model of the future in the bud.

7. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Skating videos are hardly the only videos getting pulled for copy right issues. If you need to save them for posterity, use Media Catcher or Keep Tube.

8. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

IF you can get them in time.

9. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't see why the original poster assumes the ISU had anything to do with this action. This looks to be some individual's youtube account where they posted skates from copyrighted telecasts and one of those rights holders found it and had it taken down. It happens all the time on Youtube. I think it probably was one of the commercial firms (Fintage Publishing BV, Sony ATV Publishing and UMPG Publishing) who complained, as they are much more likely to be paying someone to patrol Youtube for copyright violations.

Still, it would be nice if the ISU maintained a set of videos from their championships somewhere. Alternatively, they could perhaps revise their broadcaster licensing agreements to include a time limitation, so videos could be posted after a year or two at least.

10. MissIzzy

MissIzzy Active Member

The ISU has been doing this for quite some time. I actually spent a few months doing weekly newsvids on figure skating, until after last year's 4CC, when they blocked my video, at which point I discountinued. That's the earliest I know them to have done it, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear they'd been doing it longer than that.
    Oddly enough, I've known them to not always block videos, but sometimes slap ads on them to make money. How they decide when to do what is anyone's guess...

11. wristflick

wristflick New Member

It is horrible they do this. You cant buy the videos off them anyway so what are they protecting. Maybe they are scared of all the bad judging past being uncovered.

12. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

If you click on the link, you see this message -

This video contains content from International Skating Union, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

It's clear it's the ISU doing this and God only knows why. They are losing absolutely nothing and gaining quite a lot from leaving these videos up.

13. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

When I clicked on it, it listed the ISU, Fintage Publishing BV, Sony ATV Publishing and UMPG Publishing, one or more of whom had blocked it. Today it just says it's been removed by the user.

14. mikeko

mikeko Member

It reminds me of this article written after Takahashi debuted his hip hop SP at 2007 Skate America.

http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article11080703.aspx

15. Judge Dred

Judge Dred New Member

When it first happened, it stated ISU

16. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Gag. Gag. Gag. You can watch how to build bombs and how to remove security tags on purchases on youtube but those figure skating videos cannot be shown! Right!