ISU plans more GP events

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Finnice, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

Today, the Finnish Figure Skating federation announced that Finlandia Trophy will be moved from Valtti Areena, Vantaa, to Barona Areena, Tapiola (Espoo). Ms. Susanna Rahkamo, the president of FFSA, told also that they aim toi get Grand Prix status to Finlandia Trophy. When asked if it means that some of teh current countries would lose their GP, Ms. Rahkamo answered that ISU and Mr. Cinquanta are planning to add one or two GP events, and they offer to possiblity to Finland and (South) Korea.

Ms. Rahkamo also said that there might be a possibility that Finland and France would host the GP event in every second year.

I´ll let you know if I hear more from:sekret:

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  2. RomyNL

RomyNL Well-Known Member

I wish Finland good luck with getting their own GP event, but I hate the idea of not having the Trophee Bompard every year, the voidiest GP event of the season...
    Sorry, Paris in November beats Espoo in November hands down! :-(

3. Kati

Kati Active Member

That would be wonderful! My fingers are crossed!

4. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I think TEB should be held in October, like it was in the Olympic season. Preferably during the same dates as the Salon du Chocolat, again like in 2009. That was fabulous, and Paris is much nicer in October. Whereas no harm will be done if Skate America/Skate Canada were held in November.

I do kind like the idea of turning Finlandia into a GP in addition to the existing ones.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I really hope that instead of alternating the GP event between Finlandia and France, we will get Finlandia Trophy as an extra event.

If there's another one in South Korea, even better.

This season the reduction of available spots, together with some skaters being able to take 3 spots meant the available spaces really were in short supply. :(

6. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Oh... I hope we get TEB. Playing with a trip to Paris and if they EVER announce the dates I might try for that weekend instead of my current May.

I agree that this year it was the same skaters over and over and over... a little boring IMHO. Either add more skaters, more events or limit skaters to two events.

7. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Given that the current 6 events struggled to stay afloat, only the isu would consider adding more. :lol: they're like the gang who couldn't shoot straight! It's no surprise bercy is looking to opt out every other year, teb's been near empty for years now.

8. Carolla5501

Umm... I was there for the 2009 TEB and for women's the place was pretty full..

All they need is Yuna! :lol:

So 'for years' means two?

9. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

Oh, no, I'm willing to sacrifice Skate America or Skate Canada, but not TEB! :drama:
    Still, it sounds like my opportunity to visit Finland. Where's Espoo and is it nice?

10. Andrey aka Pushkin

Andrey aka Pushkin Brezina's Nemesis

:huh:
    If anything, TEB's attendance improves every year. This year, like last year too, the tribunes were pretty much full.

11. Carolla5501

I can't say anything about attendance at the others, but it seemed to me that Skate America was very poorly attended this year. If other's are doing better then maybe we should be on the "cutting room floor" .....
    I would hate for that to happen, but sometimes you have to face the hard facts.

Now SA does have a network TV contract so that may make up for "butts in the seats" The ISU is not real "forthcoming" on these type of things :)

12. SkaterDon

SkaterDon Member

TEB attendance looked very good this year and the reason was that unsold tickets went on sale several weeks before the event at 1/2 price according to MarieM.

Maybe the decision to make fewer and fewer fans pay more for events isn't working.

13. care bear

care bear Active Member

It is near Helsinki, may be 30 minutes by the bus.

14. IceIceBaby

IceIceBaby New Member

When will the ISU make the decision?

15. Pikachuusb

Pikachuusb Active Member

Finnice, thank you for the info :)

16. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

It seems odd to me that after several years of slashing the amount of competitors and judges as a way of cost savings, now they suddenly want to add two events?

I guess converting an already existing (and popular) "B" event into a GP would not add that much expense or perhaps even save some money (although it would limit the amount of skaters, so less could attend it as a GP than have been competing at Finlandia). I guess a lucrative TV contract for Korea would pay for the costs of adding an event there.

17. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

I hope Finlandia Trophy becomes a GP event. As for Finland and France hosting every other year, I don't think the sponsors of TEB would even allow that option. They would just spend their money on another sports event that takes place every year. What company wants to be remembered every other year?

18. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

To lose a "B" which is the only way for senior skaters to make up points or get experience if they aren't getting grand prix events; doesn't make sense to me. Just add more skaters back in to the ones you already have.

19. Zemgirl

Adding more skaters to existing events puts the financial burden on the host federations, who may not be up to it. If the Finnish federation can afford to host a GP, why not? I don't see it as a big problem for lower-ranked skaters - it's not like there's a lack of senior Bs in Europe throughout the fall season. What would be good is the addition one or two senior B competitions in Asia and NA.

20. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I think that the idea is to move the GP events out of places like Paris where it plays to near-empty arenas. From the looks of the recent Euro and ca-1995/96 Worlds, figure skating can pack the arenas in Finland than it is in France.

I LOVE the ideas of Finland and South Korea getting GP events!

21. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Agree, everything you said. :respec:

22. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Glad to hear teb is picking up. I went in 02 and despite Sasha, the place was a ghost town. It seems every time I watch a video since, the camera pannes past a half empty arena. Glad to hear its not always that way, but that begs the question: if they are really doing well, why are they considering giving up every other year? Especially if they have to sell tickets half price to fill seats.

23. Zemgirl

How does Bercy compare to other venues in terms of capacity? It strikes me as one of the bigger venues used in skating. When I was there, it was pretty well-attended on Saturday and about half-full for the SPs on Friday. I guess bringing in those schoolkids helps.

It does tend to look fuller on one side, but that's because most of the audience is directed there. I know better connected people than me can get seats on the judges' side, but I've yet to manage it.

24. Nekatiivi

Nekatiivi Well-Known Member

It would be great if Finlandia was turned to GP and additional GP event in South Korea was created. Skating has been blooming in these countries lately and it would be wise to support that.

25. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

IIRC, tickets are not sold on the judges' side of the arena at Bercy.

26. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

OMG how freaking fantastic for me. I live a 5-minute walk away! :swoon: Home to eat during zamboni and such! :cheer:

It's not like either is at its best in November really :p ........ but I agree that I hope it's not at the expense of :kickass: TEB.

27. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

:cheer2: FSU sleep over at Hanna's house! :p

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

ISU sanctioned competition = skaters pay their own expenses
    GP event = skaters' expenses are covered

Converting Finlandia Trophy into a GP would mean much more expenses although they could possibly be offset by tv rights.

29. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Yes, I welcome you all. :encore:

On a more serious note, I have to wonder what's going to happen to the event in the near future. I'm excited to have it closer but the new arena is much bigger than the old one (positive note, it's a REALLY warm arena :swoon:, I go public skating there every week) and therefore it'll also look a lot emptier. The truth is that the attendance in Finland is very much dependent on whether we have any current big names and whether they're competing. It was very evident this year that with Kiira and Laura absent, the attendance was quite poor. The fans are there, yes, but the general public only comes if there's a name they know competing. Kiira and Laura are not going to be around much longer and to keep the sport hype up in Finland. We're going to need some new and upcoming names. Otherwise it's no use even dreaming of having decent attendance for a GP. Of course there shall be some international fans but I'm not sure how much you need them for the competition not to be completely unprofitable.

From what I understood, however, the city of Espoo is planning to sort of 'renew' the event and make it completely different in style for next fall, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing what it'll be like. Of course, Espoo has more :bribe: than neighboring Vantaa :p, so on that note I hope the changes will be positive.

And I also wonder what's up with the ISU if they've been wanting to reduce costs and cut down participants for years... and now suddenly maybe adding GPs? Korea I can completely understand since without a doubt the arena will be full and the event profitable.

30. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

And those who don´t have enough room there can share Older boy Finnices flat with me... It is 15 mins walk to Barona Arena.

Tapiola is only 15 mins bus drive from Helsinki, and when the underground is ready, even less. And I too like Barona Arena very much.

The mayor of Espoo was very happy indeed, he kept talking about Espoo city´s 3T tactics - Tiede (science) Taide (art) and Talous (economy). The fourth T, Taitoluistelu (figure skating) which combines art and sport is very welcome, there.

Egoistically, I would not like to sacrifice TEB either, and I don´t think the every-second-year-idea is good, it sucks. But let´s see what happens!

Tapiola in November is probably like Sheffield in January...Rain rain rain. Or sometimes very:cold: