ISU MINIMUM SCORE RULE POLL: KEEP OR DUMP

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Jan 23, 2011.

ISU MIN SCORE RULE

1. Keep it!

46 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. Dump!

88 vote(s)
    65.7%
  1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

IMO this ISU minimum TES score rule is for the birds. Adriana DeSanctis can't go to 4CC because Skate Canada never bothered to send her out this year to get the min score, and now she can't do GP next year, sans SC. I mean, who is this rule helping? Curious what others think though.

2. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Dump! :soapbox: :mitchell:

3. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Well...to be honest I don't think the skaters who can't rotate a double double jump combination belong at an ISU championship...just my opinion of course. I don't think it should prevent skaters like Adriana from competing, though. Skate Canada just needs to do a better job of sending their skaters out to Senior B Comps perhaps..

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. elfenblüte

elfenblüte Member

Dump!

Everyone should have the chance to compete at ISU Championships, their technical ability should not care.
    Sometimes i like "obscure" skaters much more than the better skaters, i like their music and choreography!
    I think the minimum score rule will damage the sport in many smaller federations in the future.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  5. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Dump it, or make the minimum score higher, it's so low now anyway.

6. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

That's not exactly the issue at hand, and probalby will never be an issue at hand: the requirement is a minimum score, not a minimum jumping qualification.

And those skaters would've been relegated to early SP groups and never make the FS, so it's not like people who don't want to watch them would be forced to view them in between viewing skaters land quads or 3-3s fall on quads or 3-3 who have higher scoring potential.

And there's definitely a Yao Bin argument to make about skaters who are the best in their countries but nowhere close to the best in the world being able to compete amongst the best in the world. It's the World Championships, not the "Grand Prix Countries Plus A Couple Others" Championships.

It's just that now, countries like the USA, JPN, CAN, RUS, etc, who have large fields, have to send out all of their skaters to international events at least once every two years. Just in case one of them has a breakthrough season.

7. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I don't see any benefit. I don't see how having skaters from developing federations-or whatever you want to call them-will hurt the major competition. And I don't see why someone who's great (best in his or her nation) should be kept home because s/he wasn't given the opportunity to go out earlier in the season.

8. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

At the very least they should waive the minimum score for 4CCs and Europeans to allow a skater/team to make the score at that event prior to worlds - especially if you have a breakthrough season domestically
    (ie Adriana DeSanctis at Canadians this year)
    or if you were out with injury and unable to compete internationally the last two seasons in order to get the score, despite having done so numerous times in previous seasons
    (ie Elladj Balde!)
    (Canadian championship potential spoilers)

9. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I understand your point, Lara. There is something to be said about a Yao Bin type of situation...and every federation's top athlete, regardless of jumping ability, should ideally be able to participate.

I think we all know the reason this rule was implemented by the ISU...to save time and money.

10. vodkashot

vodkashot Active Member

Yep, this seems to be the logic behind the majority of the ISU's decisions....:blah:

11. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

If federations had been better about not sending tremendously unqualified skaters to Worlds this might not ever have been implemented. Skaters with one or two triple jumps don't belong competing at Worlds, and their federations should have instead sent them to Senior B competitions.

There needs to be more opportunities for skaters to meet minimum qualifying standards, but making sure that entrants to the World Championships are actually competent competitors is a reasonable goal.

I don't think that Eddie the Eagle was a good standard, and I'm glad that ski jumping put standards in place after that to ensure that they wouldn't again waste time with seriously underqualified entrants.

12. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

What makes you think they weren't being sent there already? A lot of obscure skaters go to senior B competitions.

13. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I'd have to look at the lists again, but there were a number of skaters in singles at Worlds last year who had not competed in a GP or Senior B event last season.

14. danafan

danafan Canadian ladies über

The problem is though, for countries with a lot of depth across the disciplines (like Canada and the US, who almost exclusively choose teams from nationals results), if someone surprises and has a breakthrough performance but was not previously ranked high enough to compete internationally, they won't have the ISU score. Yet I think it's safe to say that any skater good enough to qualify for US and Canadian championships is more than capable of getting the minimum score.

The best solution for an American and Canadian standpoint would be to get one of the major summer events recognized as an ISU event.

15. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

I think Skate Canada should consider having a mini-National GP series like they do in Russia to monitor skaters earlier in the season just in case someone new is identified and can be sent to a late fall B international.

16. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I feel they should also add a provision for high level skaters who are competing with new partners (i.e Volosozhar/Trankov).

17. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Is this just the ISU's way of making Senior Bs more popular? This rule has made these competitions more important than ever before. Strong skating countries are now forced to send out many skaters to internationals that aren't Grand Prixes instead of keeping them at home at local competitions... Poor skating countries are now forced to send their skaters to multiple Sr Bs if they are unable to get the qualifying score in previous attempts.

I understand wanting to increase participation in Senior Bs, but I just wonder if there are too many are them. The fields can be very thin (or non-existent) at some of these competitions, making them a waste of time and money for foreign participants.

18. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I think it's just a money maker for the ISU, forcing feds to send folks to the Senior Bs. Each fed should have total freedom in choosing its team.

19. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

But if they become popular, especially with skaters from countries with deep fields and/or new pair and dance teams, then the fields won't be so thin anymore, will they?

20. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I think the minimum qualifying score makes sense. There are only so many spots available at the Championships, so they should not be giving places to skaters who can't achieve even the minimum score. The minimums were really set pretty low and should only keep out the weakest skaters, once federations get their act together about making sure their skaters get sent qualifying international events.

It is always easy to blame the rules, but if a federation finds themselves with a good skater who still has not posted a qualifying score, they really need to blame themselves (or maybe the skater/coach, if they were given opportunities and did not take advantage of them). They have all known about this rule all season.

Lots of other sports have qualifying minimums so this really kind of helps bring skating out of the gentleman's club philosophy and into the world of serious sports.

21. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I agree on that point -- it's not as if the skaters who have tried and failed to reach the minimums are solid senior-level skaters. If they were, they'd be able to meet the minimums.

It's more of a problem this year than it will be in the future, because it's supposed to use two year's worth of competition results, but the federations and skaters did not know about it last season in time to maximize the number of skaters sent to senior B events.

Now they know.

For small European countries, sending their best skaters to senior Bs is not much hardship.

For small countries in Asia, Oceania, Africa, it means paying for extra long trips in addition to or instead of the long trip to 4Cs. But the small skating countries probably only have a few skaters capable of meeting the minimums anyway.

For countries like the US and Canada and Japan who may have >20 age-eligible senior skaters capable of meeting the minimums and deserving a trip to Four Continents, they may not be able to predict a year or two in advance who's going to place high enough to earn a 4Cs slot that year.

Even if they make sure to send 20 ladies to either junior or senior fall events, what happens if the one who was 21st on the list for fall assignments based on last year's results has a breakthrough season and ends up 3rd at Nationals?

And of course injuries that take a skater out of the fall season can also mean no trip to 4Cs that year.

Given the tight time frame between Nationals and 4Cs there may not be time to send that skater to a winter senior B event even if an appropriate one exists. For Worlds there's a little more leeway if there are enough winter B events. This rule will make those events more valuable.

22. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

I think it isn't a bad idea, since there are too many skaters.

I wonder if there was another way, because it is really a hassle for the big skating countries.

I think about ice hockey, where these is A and B world championships. The team(s) that does best in B gets to go to A next year. Countries like US, Canada, Russia will always go to A, since they are so strong hockey nations.

Another way of thinking of it is to maybe not have minimum score for 4CC or Euros, but only for worlds?

23. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

As Gkelly suggests, this will certainly be an issue that should prompt more Senior Bs in more parts of the world, and some late fall, early winter Senior Bs would be particularly helpful, either for "breakout" skaters or for returning elite skaters who are coming back from injury.

I'd be in favor of a much higher qualifying standard option that would let skaters reach back three years (which should cover even severe injuries), and a different mechanism for pairs/dance teams that are new couples who both previously met the standard (or, perhaps a higher standard) with a prior partner.

24. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Please keep it or we may still have every little rich girl from suburban Washington, DC, skating for unknown countries and making it to the SPs ar Euros or Worlds.

25. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

This rule doesn't really prevent that, assuming those countries are willing send Susie Suburb out to a B comp sometime during the year. Susie still has to be good enough to make the top 28 cut for the SP anyway...in which case I don't really see the problem. If you're a European skater losing to the US-living national champion of Thailand or Taiwan or Philippines, maybe its time to start mulling over your other career options...

26. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Does this also mean that during an Olympic year, if a skater makes the minimum score and earns a country's spot during the Nebelhorn or Olympic qualifier, the country is now either forced to send that same skater or give up their spot unless they had another skater earn the minimum score?

27. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Probably. AFAIK the current rules apply only to senior ISU championships, but they might make it also apply to Olympics before 2014.

Keep in mind that there are limited spots per discipline available at the Olympics and the skill level required to earn one is a lot higher than the skill level required to earn the minimum score. So it wouldn't serve the purpose of keeping out skaters who are unable to do any triple jumps or get credit and non-negative GOE for their non-jump elements. Which means there might not be any incentive to apply this rule to the Olympics.

If they do apply it, then it would really only keep out "new" or injured/returning skaters who didn't compete internationally at all the previous season or the previous fall, or those who did compete internationally but scored far below their potential.

28. RFOS

RFOS Well-Known Member

It could also keep out an "2nd skater" (or "3rd skater") from a country that had one or two successful skaters the previous year, but no one else even close to their level (i.e., Georgia could have sent a 2nd lady to the 2010 Olympics, but chose not to. The qualifying score wouldn't have given them a choice).

29. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, that is true.

30. Squibble

Squibble New Member

What, if anything, is accomplished by requiring a minimum score if there is a Qualifying Round? Less chance of burnout for the judges during the Short Program? I would assume that there are expenses in having two days of Qualifying Rounds that would not be incurred if all the entrants skate in the Short Program.