ISU Junior Grand Prix 2012 - 13 Announcement

Discussion in 'Kiss And Cry 2014-2015' started by vexlak, May 3, 2012.

1. vexlak

vexlak Member

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia Fretting that Worlds is over...

Thanks!

The seven events of the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating are:
    1st event Courchevel, FRA 22.08.2012 – 26.08.2012 (Aug. 22-26, 2012)
    2nd event (incl. Pairs) Lake Placid, USA 29.08.2012 – 02.09.2012 (Aug. 29-Sept. 2)
    [one week off]
    3rd event (incl. Pairs) Linz, AUT 12.09.2012 – 16.09.2012 (Sept. 12-16)
    4th event Istanbul, TUR 19.09.2012 – 23.09.2012 (Sept. 19-23)
    5th event Bled, SLO 26.09.2012 – 30.09.2012 (Sept. 26-30)
    6th event (incl. Pairs) Zagreb, CRO 03.10.2012 – 07.10.2012 (Oct. 3-7)
    7th event (incl. Pairs) Dresden, GER 10.10.2012 – 14.10.2012 (Oct. 10-14)

The combined ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final (Juniors and Seniors) will be organized for the best Men, Ladies, Pairs and Ice Dance Couples in December 5 – 9, 2012, Sochi, RUS.

Eligible for 2 men's entries in 7 events: CHN, USA, KAZ
    1 entry in 7: RUS, JPN, CAN
    1 entry in 6: GER, PHI, PHI, BRA, CZE

Eligible for 2 ladies' entries in 7 events: RUS, USA, JPN
    1 entry in 7: CHN, KOR, SWE
    1 entry in 6: CAn. EST, SVK, BRA

Eligible for 3 pairs' entries in 4 events: CHN, RUS, USA, CAN
    2 entries in 4: POL, UKR, AUT, FRA
    1 entry in 4: NED, ITA, BLR, ESP, AUS, GER, BUL

Eligible for 2 dance entries in 7 events: RUS, USA, FRA
    1 entry in 7: CAN, UKR, GER
    1 entry in 6: ITA, EST, UZB, LAT

For a complete listing, refer to the Tables starting on page 15 of the Announcement.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  3. allezfred

allezfred Papadakis/Cizeron Are World Champions! Wheeeee! Staff Member

And it's confirmed that pairs will not be allowed to compete in both junior and senior grand prixs next season on page 2.

4. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

For all this talk of the US not having the talent they once had we've maxed out the slots in all 4 disciplines. So there must be some talent in the pipeline even though as we know a good Junior skater doesn't mean success as a Senior.

5. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

Yes, I think that goes without saying.

6. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

I wonder what this means for Sui/ Han, Yu/ Jin, and Denney/ Frazer

7. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

It would be beyond ridiculous and completely unnecessary for Sui/Han to compete again on the junior circuit. I'm not a fan, but they're clearly one of the top ten teams internationally, and the improvements they need to make require more exposure and comparisons to the top seniors.

For D/F, are they eligible for a GP other than as a host pick? Is he age-eligible for JGP this coming year? I'd expect that the US would give them at least a Senior B and probably a host pick if they elect (or are forced) onto the senior circuit.

8. Jammers

I thought D/F said they are going Senior next season.

9. Sylvia

Returning to JGP (not listed in the initial selections for the Senior Grand Prix published on 5/21/12)...

MEN: Han Yan CHN, Joshua Farris USA, Jason Brown USA

LADIES: Satoko Miyahara JPN, Risa Shoji JPN

PAIRS: Yu/Jin CHN, Davankova/Deputat RUS, Denney/Frazier USA

DANCE: Stepanova/Bukin RUS, Aldridge/Eaton USA, Yanovskaya/Mozgov RUS, Papadakis/Cizeron FRA

ETA the following that was posted in the Senior Grand Prix Assignments thread:

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  10. misskarne

misskarne #408

Anyone know when we're expecting the assignment announcements?

11. ChelleC

ChelleC Well-Known Member

Last year they were just prior to the competitions beginning, if I remember correctly.

12. misskarne

misskarne #408

You mean like August?

That sucks the BIG one.

13. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

They are usually announced 4 weeks before the event. Always have been.

14. sus2850

sus2850 Active Member

The deadline for entering competitors is June 4 according to the document linked above.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

There is no announcement.

Federations just enter the skaters they want to the events they are eligible to enter skaters in.

ISU doesn't have to decide on anything.

16. Sylvia

That's the deadline for countries to submit "Entries by number."

From the JGP Announcement:
    Re-posting from the Grand Prix Assignments thread some of the JGP age-eligible returning skaters/teams:

17. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

So the USA will send at least 6 teams to Junior Grand Prix events -- possibly more if a team with an early assignment has no hope of qualifying for the Jr. GP Final.

Glancing at the International Selection Pool at http://usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=447 we currently have listed:

Junior Grand Prix / International experience:
    Aaron & Settlage – turns 20 in July
    Calalang & Sidhu – turns 21 in October
    Denney & Frazier – turns 20 in November
    Oltmanns & Santillian – he turned 20 in February
    Simpson & Blackmer – he turns 21 in December
    Pfund & Reiss**Given Challenge Cup international this spring

Listed in the International Selection Pool, but have not yet competed on the Junior Grand Prix:
    de la Mora & Wilson – Nationals = Junior 8th, 114.27 – age?
    Goldberg & Dolkiewicz – Nationals = Junior 10th, 108.99 -- he’ll turn 20 in July
    Zaitsev & Stevens – Nationals = Novice 4th, 107.70 (Novice program - scores not 100% comparable to Junior)

And then there are all of the new couples that form over the summer, who may take the summer competitions by storm.

18. Sylvia

Duarte/Grafton have aged out of ISU Junior events - she is 19 now.

19. Jammers

Why are Jason and Joshua not going Senior this year? Big mistake if they want to even have a chance to make the Olympic team in less then two years. Especially since the US men are underwhelming at the moment. They could have shot up the US ranks with the mediocrity that the men are right now.

20. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Disappointed to see Yan Han's name here. I should really be doing the GP. There's no competition for him in JGP and there's little he can gain but a lot he can lose by staying in JGP. I wish the Chinese Federation knew what they are doing.

I guess Farris and Brown are not assigned to the GP because there aren't enough slots for the American men (I'm not very familiar with how GP is assigned). Brown staying junior kind of makes sense since he doesn't have a triple axel yet.

21. Sylvia

China does have 1 men's TBA for Cup of China, but it wouldn't be beneficial for Han Yan to only have 1 GP assignment. Perhaps there's still a chance he could get 2 somehow?

22. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Han Yan didn't submit his name for GP selection, as both his SB and WR guaranteed him for 1 assignment. He would have been in the entries at least once if not twice had his name been submitted. It must have been a collective decision by he and his coach to stay on the JGP another season, likely because skaters are no longer allowed to compete at JW after having competed on the senior GP and Nan Song only qualified one man to compete at the 2013 Worlds.

The Chinese fed probably figured they will likely send Song to Worlds and then have Han Yan go to JW again to secure maximum JGP slots for the next season. If Song has a terrible season, the Fed could still send Yan to senior Worlds if they like, as he'll compete as a senior at Nationals and there's no rule preventing him from doing JGP in the fall and then 4CC and/or senior Worlds in the spring of the same season (Ksenia Makarova, Polina Korobeynikova, and Richard Dornbush have all done this in the past).

23. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Perhaps they would rather prepare for the next Olympic cycle.
    It's up to them, and their coaches, to decide when they are ready.

24. pinky166

Read my posts in the GP and US men threads and it should make more sense. I think the decision was made to keep options open and have a safety net of competing at JW again. None of these guys were guaranteed 2 events on the GP, each only 1, and I'm pretty sure all of them can get 2 JGP events and likely trips to the JGPF as well. China only has 1 spot for Worlds and the US only has 2, but, if these guys impress at senior Nationals, they can still go to senior Worlds if the fed choses to send them. Considering making the senior World team is a tall order in either case, it's good that these men are doing the JGP because this way they can still go to JW if they are not going to SW and help secure (hopefully) maximum JGP slots for their nations in the upcoming seasons. They would not have the option of returning to JW if they did the senior GP even if they did miss out on senior Worlds due to new rule changes.

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Chinese Fed is terrible about giving up-and-coming skater competition experiences. :(

26. jlai

jlai Title-less

According to Josh's tweet, he wanted a GP but didn't get one

27. pinky166

There are plenty of skaters that are not in the top 24 SB or WS list that have assignments, and not even host spots, Josh is number 20 on the SB list, I believe that should have made certain he got at least 1 GP, so in theory he should have a spot not matter what, and one of the other guys should be out of luck. He can get the ISU in trouble and make them give him an assignment if he wants I think, so long as the rule didn't change.

28. jlai

jlai Title-less

You're kidding, right? :)

Anyway, I wish he'd gotten one (and preferably two as even Dornbush got 2). He was ready to move up.

29. pinky166

I'm not kidding. Either USFS or the ISU made a mistake. My guess is that USFS didn't submit his name for selection, otherwise he'd be on the roster. Josh can skate circles around at least 6 guys who have gotten GPs but weren't guaranteed any. And if USFS is to blame, idk wtf they were thinking. I mean, you'd would think the placements of Dornbush at 4CC and Rippon at Worlds would be a wake-up call but NOOOPEE.

Wonder if Jason also submitted his name and was similarly shafted...

30. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Or there is more about Farris's tweet than meets the eye. So how about laying off the conspiracy theories. :saint:

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.