ISU Development Trophy

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by johndockley92, Dec 6, 2012.

1. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Just read on ISU about them introducing a Development trophy?

The link for the small tidbit they released is here. On the release there is a "full story", but it won't load on my computer so I'm not exactly sure what it says.

Just venturing a guess though, is this like the World Team Trophy, but for Juniors? It seems interesting though, nonetheless.

2. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

Not really.

Here's what the press release says:

"As announced in ISU Communications No. 1722 and No. 1767, the International Skating Union has initiated a new international competition, the “ISU World Development Trophy”. This initiative that is in line with the Mission Statement and Objectives of the ISU Development Program (as specified in ISU Communication No. 1531) has the objective of providing an incentive to ISU Members currently being inactive or having only a limited level of activity in one or several ISU sport disciplines.

In order to assess the level of activity of the ISU Members, the ISU Development Coordinator has conducted a global investigation using as criteria the Members participation at ISU Championships during the past two seasons (2010/11 and 2011/12) with a focus on Figure Skating (Ladies, Men), Ice Dance and Short Track Speed Skating.

Based on the analysis and conclusions of the above-mentioned investigation, by taking into account the indicated interest for participation in the ISU World Team Trophy by the potential participating Members, the Council agreed to launch the ISU Development Trophy competitions during the ongoing season 2012/13 at the locations and dates and with the participation of the Members for each competition as listed in the Annex attached.

Based on the experience gained, the Council will evaluate this initiative and decide upon future editions, possibly including also the other ISU sports disciplines (Speed Skating, Pair Skating, Synchronized Skating) and additional and/or different participation of Members.
    "

From the list that follows which lists national federation of countries that are not often, if at all, represented in major international competitions, I understand this is about organizing kind of second league WTT (although they're more like European and 4CC Team Trophies rather than World, but anyway) to help to rekindle interest and momentum in these countries for skating sports?

3. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

So pretty much a WTT for countries that do not qualify for the WTT?

4. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

According to this http://www.nzifsa.org.nz/news/NEWSLETTER October.pdf it's a developmental event, not like WTT.

5. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Interesting that they're not starting off including pairs, etc. but did mention they may add it later.

In my opinion, pairs needs more development across the world (especially in these 'developmental' countries) than ice dance and much less the ladies and men. Perhaps they are taking into account the lack of available coaching/resources/men/previous teams from such nations (or, lack there of)/etc. to support pairs in such locations.

6. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Skate America! Go!

I think is excatly what they want to do, and honestly I also think that they don't want to 'push' pairs too early in developing federations, as they probably don't want to see accidents. In dance you can get away with some simple lifts at those lower levels, but I believe pairs will need overhead lifts.

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Official event site for the inaugural ISU World Development Trophy in Cieszyn, Poland: http://www.pfsa.com.pl/iwdt2013/index.php

From the Announcement: http://www.pfsa.com.pl/iwdt2013/index.php?page=announcement

Also to come:
    ISU World Development Trophy
    16 - 20 Apr
    Manila, Philippines

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  8. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Are these considered competitions for the SB list?

9. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

New Zealand entries http://www.nzifsa.org.nz/news/January Feb 2013 NEWSLETTER .pdf

Junior Ladies -Brin Berge, Madelaine Parker, reserve Jessie Park
    Junior Men -Thomas Woodbridge
    Basic Novice A Ladies -Anastasia Kutznetsova, Abbey Heale, reserve Haylee Booth
    Basic Novice A Men -Harrison Bain
    Basic Novice B Ladies -Tracy Danbrook, Rebecca Lau, reserve Keely McGuigan

10. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

This is very cool!!

11. Sylvia

Bumping this back up... Ziggy, can you find out/let us know how it goes in Cieszyn this week?

12. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

I have a friend who is there. She says they are working really hard but she's having an amazing time!

13. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Some of the Irish skaters have shared their impressions here.

14. Sylvia

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Link: http://www.pfsa.com.pl/iwdt2013/index.php

I was originally planning to go but wasn't able to in the end, unfortunately.

All I can say is that Nikolaev and Gres are amazing coaches. Really creative, with great attention to detail and a strong focus on the basics.

Gres used to train under Nikolaev (who has worked with Baiul and Zagorodniuk and is based in the US now) and was a very promising Junior skater (she had all the triples and 3t/3t IIRC). She's now based in Warsaw, Poland where she coaches. Amongst her students, there's a really promising Pre-Novice skater of Russian origin (Elizaveta Labunets) that I hope can go on to achieve big things. Whilst she has only mastered the jumps up to 2lutz at this point, what sets her apart from everybody else in Poland is the quality of everything she does.

In Fianait's blog you can read about the exercise where they have to do jumps straight off transitions that they find really difficult. That's an excercise Nikolaev likes to use a lot. It has a psychological aspect as well as the technical one. If you can successfully and regularly execute jumps from very difficult entries in practice, once you do them without the preceding transitions in competition, it will feel really easy. And when you observe Gres demonstrating that footwork, it's just so sharp. Her basic skating is great.

My adult skater friends love training with her because even at the very basic level, she comes up with interesting and challenging exercises. I took a class with her once and it involved practising various basic movements and then at the end, she created a straight line step sequence which was made of really simple moves but put together very cleverly and difficult to execute at high speed (which was the aim). I really loved it.

Sarkis Tewanian who is the third coach (he coaches Pairs and Singles in Poland) is really good with giving feedback on the levels. A skater once told me they were trying really hard to achieve high levels and struggled with it and with his help, they found out they could do that in a much easier way.

The Cieszyn rink is very new (it was only built a couple of years ago or so) and whilst it's a small facility (full-size ice pad though) it's really lovely. It's relatively warm inside (but not too warm), ice quality is usually great and there's a nice ambience inside.

So that's all I know without actually being there. :p

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
    euler, gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Sylvia

17. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Ziggy, your description of Gres' approach is making me tear up :wuzrobbed

18. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

A few more entries, from South Africa, Amber Britz, Evan Wrensch, Abigail Samuels, and Matthew Samuels http://cgfigureskating.org.za/

From Malaysia Julian Yee, Bryan Christopher Tan, Chew Kai Xiang, Nicholas Tan, Aina Sorfina, Ng Jia Xin, Amirah Azfariena Azhari, Chew Sze Chyi, Ashley Chin, Rachel Lim, Aneeta Lingam, Lily Qistina, http://isam.my/comm/COMM_087.pdf

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  19. allezfred

Team Ireland coach Cherise Hanvey has just posted another blog here.

20. Sylvia

21. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Three female skaters from Morocco! :cheer2:

(Maybe the Association of Moroccan Ice Sports will tempt Léna Marrocco to switch federations. ;) )

22. Sylvia

12 countries/skating federations are represented: Andorra, Armenia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Cyprus, Iceland, Ireland, Latvia, Luxembourg, Morocco, Norway, Serbia, and Slovenia.

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Also, if I remember correctly Gres's skaters do not do any jumps during their first year of training because the idea is that you shouldn't be jumping if you can't really skate (and you see some other coaches - which won't be named :p - entering their skaters into competitions before their first year of training is over - the parents pay big bucks so they need to see their little darlings win medals even if you can't tell their lips, flutzes and 'loops' apart :p).

Cherise Hanvey wrote in her blog:
    Fred do you know how much the Irish skaters are able to train every day? I wonder which skaters who are at the Development Trophy have such good conditions at home, that they are able to skate 4 hours a day. Luxembourg maybe?

P.S. Julia Sebestyen is on the technical panel for this event. :)

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I think I want to marry her.

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

We are very lucky to have her. :)

Here is the SP of her student Elizaveta Labunets, from Polish Youngster Nationals. It featured all the Pre-Novice levels and Labunets placed 2nd in Gold Class (one level below Novice).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5PbQZNZIyY (Jena Gres is standing behind the boards in a grey coat, looking like she's about to pass out from nerves ;))

Whilst her jumps are not very impressive, what is really impressive to me is the quality of her basic skating, her non jump elements and how sophisticated the choreography is for a skater this young. She definitely has a good foundation to build on and who cares about the jumps at this stage anyway. It's the technique that matters. The jumps will eventually come with time if you have the basics right. I wish that more coaches (and more importantly parents!) were able to understand this.

26. allezfred

The rink they train at is a two hour drive from where most of them live so it's really only at weekends they are able to train, ie twice a week. When the seasonal ice rinks are open, they can skate more often, but the size of the sheet and quality aren't great.

27. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Wow! It's incredible indeed that they are at the competitive level in the first place, given such conditions.

28. Sylvia

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

30. C_T_T_

C_T_T_ Well-Known Member

She injured herself in an awkward fall in practice. :( Thankfully nothing was broken but very disappointing for her.