ISU Congress

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by drfj, Jun 12, 2012.

1. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I don't get why eliminating the preliminaries make the event more expensive for Skate Canada. It seems like it would be cheaper. What am I missing?

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

If Skate Canada has to provide the accommodations for all the skaters, who would normally be eliminated, that is a lot more expensive.

If they have already contracted ice time, that they are now obligated to pay for, they will have to do that without recouping money from ticket sales. Except I can't imagine you'd make more than three dollars from preliminary ticket sales- who would go? I bet almost all the people are on all event tickets or comped.

3. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

I watched them all also, and enjoyed it very much.

I appreciate how hard they have worked to get to a 4CC competition.

4. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

What is the difference financially, for example, between >30 (singles) being eliminated after prelims and 6 being eliminated after the SP, and eliminating all but 24 in the SP?

Having a set contract for the arena and practice ice for prelims might be the biggest financial issue for SC, since there's usually a tie in with zambonis and drivers, security, ushers, etc. The ISU could just as easily have decided to raise the minimum score and/or limit the competitions where the minimum could be earned, making prelims unnecessary in all or most disciplines. (For example, were the GP minimum used instead of the championship TES minimum, with only ISU events eligible for minimum scores, my quick count shows 30 qualifiers for the Ladies SD.)

To not have either put the contingency into the contract or have budgeted for insurance to cover a change would be a problem.

5. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

I think for the minimum score for ISU Championships the ISU needs the approval of the congress (unlike for the Grand Prix). Obviously the same federations with weaker skaters that voted out the preliminaries never would agree to a high minimum score that eliminates their skaters from the beginning.

6. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I thought the ISU Council pushed through CoP without the approval of the ISU Congress, and because IJS and minimum scores are addressed in "Special Regulations and Technical Rules," that this was without explicit consent of the ISU Congress.

If the ISU Congress needs to pass a change in the minimum score for championships, then, absolutely, it would be crazy for all but the stronger feds to vote for a change that drastic.

7. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

One of the toughest jobs in the LOC for Worlds is the "Hotel Chairperson". I was on the LOC for 2009 Worlds in LA..fortunately I handled transportation..however the lady that did it (and she had done it at other competitions) was exactly what was needed. She was organized and TOUGH TOUGH TOUGH.

Some of the countries that didn't have skaters go on the next level would attempt to skip out and not pay their bill...or they would try to stay longer and have the LOC pay the tab, even thought they were finished.

Fortunately, there was close cooperation between her and the ISU Director, so if any problems did occur, let's just say, it was handled quickly.

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Morry Stillwell

Morry Stillwell Well-Known Member

Entry Fee Reduction.

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Why would any fewer skaters enter the SP/SD than would enter the prelims?

10. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Are you going to organise it?

11. misskarne

misskarne #408

Please note use of :p smiley. :p

I would love to see it happen, but I don't think it would. I would be volunteering in a flash though.

12. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

OK, I get it.

13. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

It would be great if Australia were able to host a Worlds after being robbed in 2000. However, with the current economic situation, the only way many other federations could afford to take their teams all the way to Australia is probably by putting them on a raft a month in advance. :(

14. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

i laughed at raft :lol:

15. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

Yes, book rate.

16. misskarne

misskarne #408

:( You're right...it'd be okay for the bigger federations, but some of the smaller European ones might miss out...although I can't imagine it'd be hugely more exspensive than flying to north America?

#australiawuzrobbed :(

17. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

It's about triple the price from where I am.

Those who shall never see Australia wuzrobbed. :(

18. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Great you can come and volunteer at Nationals when they are held in Melbourne next. You can do the 6.00am practise sessions.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

:sekret:

The media was a big part of the reason for the changes happening in the first place, if I understand it correctly.

Canada fought hard for the Preliminaries not to be scrapped arguing that lack of them would mean 9-10 hours more ice time would be needed and that it would make organising Worlds much more expensive in general, meaning they would be now impossible to finance.

I don't know any more details, unfortunately. We'd have to ask Skate Canada. ;)

As Morry Stillwell posted, less money from entry fees is probably a factor as well.

This can't be stressed enough.

TLDR version: Unless skaters aren't given opportunities to at least perform at the big events, skating programs in smaller countries are never going to develop.

Yeah, last time you got them, it was such a roaring success. :p

Are you sure?

Because I think what is going to happen now is ISU Council pushing higher minimum scores behind everybody's backs so that ISU Championships can happen at all. :wall:

The TV contracts are already signed in advance for the next two seasons I think, so the ISU championships need to happen in a 4 day format.

There isn't enough time to let everybody skate SP/SD.

So there doesn't seem to be any other solution now, other than drastically cutting the number of the skaters who can actually compete. :(

20. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The following changes have been passed today:

- Novice maximum age for Singles lowered by 1 year

- Novice maximum age for Pairs/Dance lowered to 'not have yet reached 15/17'

- Senior minimum age is now 15 for all events (so no more 14 year olds at the GP; Lipnitskaya will have to return to the JGP)

A lot of feds are going to be pissed off about the Novice changes, once again, not particularly well played. :p

21. misskarne

misskarne #408

This is sensible. It's about time the age was consistent.

No news on the rule about turning Senior and not going back? Or has that one been ditched?

22. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Australia's Worlds were hijacked to France using an excuse, so don't you blame them.

You were to young to make sense of it at the time. :p

23. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I wish they'd go back to the rule that Junior Worlds medalists are exempted from the age qualification requirements for senior competition, or at least that the Junior World Champions were.

24. kates8

kates8 Member

When do the age maximum/minimums come into play?

25. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

this was what I had in mind too :shuffle:
    I wonder why nobody proposed to it ?

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

There were issues with tv contracts or Australia failing to get proper coverage of the event, no?

From next season, if I understand it correctly.

27. Daphne

Daphne Active Member

Ziggy - did they vote down the proposal to change the junior ages or has that not come up yet?

28. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member

Aren't the changes effective starting 2014?

29. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update, Ziggy.

30. quiqie

quiqie Well-Known Member