ISU Communication No. 1863: AGENDA OF THE 55th ORDINARY CONGRESS DUBLIN - 2014

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Visaliakid, May 1, 2014.

1. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

The Agenda for the 2014 ISU Congress was published today, all 235 pages of it. Much of it relating to drafting work due to the discontinuance of the Sports Directorate as a body. Lot's of interesting information including the Russian and U.S Figure Skating proposals to do away with anonymous judging.

http://static.isu.org/media/143870/1863-agenda-isu-congress-2014.pdf

2. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Canada and US also proposing to raise the age limit for junior pairs & dance back to 19 for ladies & 21 for men.

3. 5Ali3

5Ali3 Active Member

I was unaware that the Ice Dance Technical Committee was proposing to allow men to wear sleeveless costumes while still requiring women to wear skirts. Ice dancing and the 21st Century: you'd probably get along fine if only you could meet each other. :lol:

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  4. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

There's a shock ...

241. BELARUS Rule 413, paragraph 4.a) Amend as follows: d) Age: have not reached the age of seventy five (75) in the calendar year of the nomination. Reason: in the modern world people live and are active much longer; many Officials can spend more time on their service only after they reach or are close to the pension age or have established a secure position in their full time job.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  5. bardtoob

Edit

6. Rae35

Rae35 Active Member

Deleted.

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

III. PROPOSALS FOR THE FIGURE SKATING SECTION start on page 76 and go through page 141.

This is the proposal that will immediately affect men and pair skaters because they, along with their coaches and choreographers, need to know whether or not to cut 30 seconds of music from their free programs for next season. From page 107:
    If proposal 257 is accepted,
    "A well balanced Free Skating program for [Senior and Junior] Men must contain:
    maximum of 7 jump elements (one of which must be an Axel type jump)."

8. The Observer

The Observer New Member

What's the purpose of this rule change, I wonder? To allow the guys to show off their arm muscles? ;)

9. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

They probably saw Nikita's shirtless picture.

I didn't know women had to wear skirts in ice dancing still. I thought that was just what they did. I mean Usova, Klimova, and Grishuk all wore pants in 1992. Well, Grishuk had something that was like a shirt with her pants.

10. MissIzzy

MissIzzy Active Member

In 2007, they had to specifically permit the lady to wear trousers for the tango OD

11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

On the opposite side, John Kerr had to get special permission to wear his kilt.

It is a silly rule to not allow pants. Pechalat's silly skirt on the mummy costume was a good example of a skirt being unnecessary. It was only added for the rule, it seemed.

12. Rae35

Rae35 Active Member

Have skimmed through all the pages. Some casual observations. The ISU Council only in favour of approx 10 of more than 110 member proposals in the first section..... But obviously in favour of almost fifty of their own.
    Greece is having a gung-ho go at putting up proposals, almost all of which have an addendum "not in favour" by the ISU.

I'm wondering why the ISU Council are able to put forward their argument (mostly against, very few for) in the agenda?

The age of office holders is on the table. Why do we want people who will be on the plus side of 75 to make decisions for participants whose age run from early teens to late twenties?

13. The Observer

The Observer New Member

I didn't know that - interesting.

14. Rae35

Rae35 Active Member

I guess it's a national dress, and Scottish men do look good in their national dress.

15. Braulio

Braulio Well-Known Member

Any link please?

16. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

There were quite a few of the federations proposed this so not just Belarus.

What is disappointing is that they haven't raised the age when judges can be appointed. If the age was 55 (which has been talked about in the past) would allow people who may have come to judging later in life the opportunity. I know a few people this applies to (myself included). Not that I have any grand ambitions, but it is excluding others who could be judges as well.

17. bardtoob

Belarus specifically proposed it for "Officials". The others were for judges and such.

It think it is unfortunate that they did not raise the age of entry. It prevents a lot of new blood from giving life to judging panels that apparently will be looking a lot more like zombie panels.

18. The Observer

The Observer New Member

I think someone posted the Nikita photo on one of the I&K split threads.

19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I did here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...-7-years-ago&p=4260302&viewfull=1#post4260302

Back on topic... Kevin Reynolds is quoted in Bev Smith's latest blog article as follows:

20. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

So if they cut 30 seconds from pairs skates, they aren't cutting any elements?

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

The choreographic sequence would be eliminated (proposals 280-Sr. & 282-Jr.).

Proposal 202 by the ISU Single & Pair Technical Committee recommends eliminating the second half bonus in the Pairs FS for jumps/throws/lifts.

22. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap Well-Known Member

Gotta love how this could wash out the personal best and world records for the men and pairs.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  23. skatingguy

skatingguy Active Member

With the changes to the factoring of the PCS the records for the ladies and ice dance would be meaningless as well - this has happened before (after 2005/06) when the elements for ice dance were reduced and the scores dropped significantly, particularly for the free dance. It has only been in this past few seasons that Virtue/Moir & Davis/White have started to push those scores again.

Interesting to note that the age issue for junior pairs and ice dance is raised by a couple of federations but it is opposed by the ISU technical committee - don't know whether that means that it won't pass but doesn't seem to bode well for the junior events. Also that the starting order for the free skates will now be reverse order of the short programs in ISU championships and not from a random draw for each group.

Last edited: May 15, 2014
  24. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

What do people think about random order within groups and reverse order?

Even though it some times made events anti-climatic, I loved random order. It just seemed more fair to me and made a competition seem more legitimate. It's not really rational, but I hate strict reverse order.

25. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

I agree. GP events often seem to me like a procession in the free skate to crowning whoever was leading after the short.

26. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Well if you are doing the data entry after a SP it makes it easy because you just push a button and it sets the skating order instead of manually having to enter it. Decreases the human error factor for the skating order. That is just a practical reason for it.

27. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I'm really disappointed that the proposal is to cut the time of the LP for Men and Pairs - why not up the time for ladies and allow an extra jump? Cutting the men down and losing a jump means that most men who have a full set of triples and attempt a quad are likely to omit one of the triples. A skater attempting two quad may end up leaving out more than one triple. We already see more men doing half loop/triple salchow combinations these, with IJS making 3Loop as the back half of a combination really risky I think this could mean more men simply drop the triple loop from their programmes in favour of repeating their hardest triples or quads, the triple toe and salchow will remain in combination, it makes sense to drop the loop (lowest value of the remaining) and/or either of flip or lutz if the skater has an issue with the edge.

28. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I'd rather up the time for ladies and allow an extra element. Give them the option to use a 4th spin instead of an 8th jump pass. Same for men.

29. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I really like this idea too, however, I can't imagine any senior male or female skater would ever include an optional spin because even the highest levels of combination spin only just about get you to the same points as a 2A. At the moment ladies who want to have a 7 triple programme must include a 3/3 or a 2A/3 combination. The extra jump would allow them to fit all their triples in without the need for the combination I mentioned. Plus with the changes to the levels for spins making it harder to have features counted etc, it might be that skaters are running out of options for features on spins by the time they get to the 4th meaning, if they go for a spin, they might end up with more points opting to do a 2Lz instead of a spin.

30. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Skaters who can't do triple axels or quads, and who can do two triple-triple (or double axel-triple) combinations (there are probably more mid/lower-ranked senior men, and plenty of junior men, than there are strong senior or junior ladies for whom that is true) can get seven triples and a double axel into 6 jump passes. That already gives them one extra jump pass to fill with an extra double axel. If they have 8 jump passes available, that gives them two extra passes. They could fill it with a double jump, but why not use a spin instead?

On the other end of the spectrum, weaker jumpers among senior ladies and juniors whose only triples are toe loop and salchow can fill 6 jump passes with two triple jumps with and without combinations, and two double axels. That leaves them one more jump pass to fill with double jumps, or two more if 8 jump passes are available. Again, why not give them a choice whether to use that extra slot for another double jump or for another spin?

I agree that the moderately good female jumpers who can do 5 kinds of triples but can't do triple axels or put a triple at the end of a combination would benefit more from spreading 7 triples plus a double axel across 8 jump passes. So I'd like to see them have that option.

It's just that the best jumpers, the weaker jumpers, and the inconsistent jumpers with great spins (e.g., Alissa Czisny) would benefit more from a different option.

halffull and (deleted member) like this.