ISU Communication No. 1655: Decisions of the ISU Council (including JGP 2011-12 info)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Published today, October 27 - Communication No. 1655: Decisions of the ISU Council

The 2013 Four Continents Championships are provisionally awarded to Osaka, Japan (dates are February 5-10).

Re. the JGP in 2011-12, there will be 7 events again:

softlip and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Go Brisbane!!! Yeah!

3. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

Oh, for the love of god. :wall:

4. emilieh

emilieh Active Member

Any guesses for what the rationale is for reducing dance and pairs to 6, while keeping 8 for singles? I guess I understand for pairs, since only 4 events have a pairs event, but what's the point in making it tougher for dancers to make the Final?

I guess it cuts costs a bit, but then why not cut costs more and reduce all 4 disciplines to 6?

5. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

The cut of JGPF entries for pairs is reasonable. Not so much for Dance.

6. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

:yikes: Don't put ideas in their heads.

The thing is that I suspect that the ISU council actually hates skating. Speedy has to at least. The moronic idea from last season to make a break before the first and second group and then provide "entertainment" to the audience because they were surely be bored with skating by then and needed a break :confused: just goes to show that they don't understand our enthusism for skating.

7. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Ok, ??? Why not just turn it into the Thanksgiving Day Parade?

No idea what cutting down the number of dance teams is going to do for anyone...

8. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

who's hosting 4cc's in 2012?

9. nirti

nirti Member

To reduce the cost of the JGPF, I propose to suppress this event.

:wall::wall::wall:

10. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:drama:

11. Lanna

Lanna Well-Known Member

It makes sense with pairs, but having one less qualifier than number of events is idiotic.

12. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Good point. What if 7 different couples each win an event and take silver or bronze in the other?

Well, then there'll be a tie for 6th place, or a three-way tie for 5th or four-way for 4th, and you'd end up with 7 teams in the final anyway.

13. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I really hope USA gets the final, since it seems odd they wouldn't have any JGP events 2 years in a row!

14. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Did they ask for one?

15. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Not necessarily. It'll become a really crazy war over who got the highest scores and whatever. Not a fun way to be left out of the JGPF.

16. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Beginning in 2012, there will be a Jr. World Synchronized Skating Championships, too.

17. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

UGH, THIS IS RIDICULOUS :mad:

18. shah

shah Shhh...

Gdańsk! :cheer: I'm reserving a free week by the sea in September next year :).

19. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Bets on when the ISU JGP is reduced from 7 to 6 events. :wall:

Who is volunteering to become a martyr and blow themselves up in the ISU headquarters in Swissland? Jackie you're closest. :D

Woop woop and I am joining you. :)

20. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

What's the big deal? The Junior Grand Prix Final is not the end-all-be-all of the sport. The reduction in spots only means that the final will consist of more elite dancers. All teams will still have a chance to gain important international experience on the JGP circuit, which is the goal for most teams anyway.

21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

The big deal is that GP and JGP spots are being slowly reduced.

We went from 10 to 8 spots in senior Pairs.

Then ISU removed the Pairs event from half of the JGP events (which admittedly does make sense given the number of pairs competing but if the discipline is to grow...).

Then the number of JGP events were reduced from 8 to 7.

And now the number of finalists is reduced from 8 to 6 for Pairs and Ice Dance.

Pairs can kind of be understood but Dance?

So yes - the point is that the number of competition opportunities is slowly being eroded. And once things are cut, they most likely ain't gonna return. :/

22. chipso1

This change makes sense to me, though. Since there can only be 4 teams per warm-up group, it's awkward to have groups of 2-4-4 or 3-3-4.

And really, with the pairs fields in Canada and France this year, I'm kinda glad they're capped at 8. :shuffle:

The JGPF pairs/dance reductions make no sense to me. All that's happening is teams are losing valuable international experience and a shot at ISU ranking points. I can't imagine the cost savings will be that high.

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Competitive opportunities for skaters > awkward warm-up groups.

And this year is not exactly typical with all the injuries and illnesses. ;)

24. chipso1

I didn't say I was a fan of it (except for this :yikes: year), just that it makes sense to me. ;)

I agree that more competition chances allow skaters better development opportunities, but to realize that Speedy would actually have to be a fan of skating. :wall:

25. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yep, it all comes back to that I guess. :p

26. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

It is about time Australia got one. Will have to put those dates in my diary now.

27. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

How odd that 2013 Four Continents is announced when 2012 hasn't been decided (has it?). :confused:

Anyway, if this is true I might have to consider going to Osaka that year since I won't be going to Fake London for Worlds.

28. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

Isn't that what World Challenge Cup for Juniors already was, essentially?

29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yep, it was like a warm-up for Junior Worlds.

30. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

Canada hasn't had a JGP since 2005. Or a GP final since 2002.

(I have no idea if they have asked for one or not- but it makes me sad.) :(