ISU Championships 2015 provisional allotments

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by chika3, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

:cheer2: No travel for Euros for once! :cheer2:

2. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

Seongsa, is that the one in Goyang City?

3. vigiliae

vigiliae New Member

Yes it is.

4. a56

a56 New Member

According to their Olympics bid book online, I think it said that their test event would be 2017 Four Continents. I seriously hope they think about getting the 2016 Grand Prix Final or even 2017 Junior Worlds instead of Four Continents as their test event, since that's an opportunity for European skaters and officials to attend as well.

Good for Shanghai for getting 2015 Worlds.

5. Michael O'C

Michael O'C Member

You might be right. There was talk some years ago about a 4cs for Brisbane but that seems to have disappeared. We did have a JGP event in Brisbane last year which might have been a step in the right direction. One of our problems is virtually no media interest. A community TV station did show some of the event but didn't do a really good job. They showed some parts many times and others not at all it was very disjointed.

6. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Isn't the purpose of the test event to allow the organizers and federation officials to test out the arrangements? I can't see how having Junior Worlds there would be particularly helpful for the Olympic skaters, other than a couple that might possibly make it to the Olympics a year later. Is there something special about this arena (vs. all of the other random arenas that host ISU championships) that suggests that it is desirable for Europeans to check it out?

(I understand why sports like luge & bobsled & skiing want to check out the actual facility; I'm just not following the logic on skating.)

7. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Just imagine what would have happened if there had been a Winter Olympic Games this year in Bern and there had been a test event at the PostFinance Arena. :cold:

8. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I was told the USFS is seeking the 2016 championships.

9. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

4CC for me is a better test event than GPF since that's a bigger event. i was shocked Sochi didn't go to 2013 Europeans. Torino went for 2005 Euros as their test event.

10. allezfred

allezfred Hideous Admin Staff Member

Nagano used the 1997 NHK Trophy as a test event so there's nothing to say that a championship has to be the test event.

11. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Vancouver and Salt Lake also went with 4CC as their test event, I believe.

I think going with Euros or 4CC as the test event makes sense simply because of their size. When Nagano went for the NHK, a GP event had a lot more skaters then the GPF. Admittedly, the combination of the junior and senior skaters in the (J)GPF mitigates that somewhat now.

12. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Phoenix;)