ISU Championships 2013 - locations announced

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Eislauffan, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

The ISU announced today the locations for the Championships 2013, except for 4 Continents and Synchro.

ISU European Figure Skating Championships, 21-27 January, 2013,
    Zagreb, Croatia

ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, 5-10 February 2013,
    Pending

ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships, 25 February - 3 March 2013,
    Milano, Italy

ISU World Figure Skating Championships, 10-17 March 2013,
    London (Ontario), Canada

Synchronized Skating

ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships,
    Pending

Link to the ISU communication: http://www.isu.org/vsite/vcontent/c...-3787-4771-layout160-129898-news-item,00.html

TAHbKA and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Eislauffan

I'm surprised that they go back to Zagreb. I think Zagreb had the poorest attendance of an European Championships ever.

3. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Why can't Europeans come to Portugal?!

:drama: :p

4. Eislauffan

Attendance couldn't be any worse, that's for sure, and the climate would be nicer in Portugal. However, I think Portugal was kicked out of the ISU because of lack of activity!

5. elfenblüte

elfenblüte Member

Why Zagreb again? :eek: I didn´t like the ice rink in Zagreb at Euros 2008...

6. alhrayth

alhrayth Well-Known Member

:eek: wow I must really be out of the loop, I didn't see it coming! Oh, could be interesting... it depends on who will be working in the OC...hmmm.....

7. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Will try to make the attendance in Zagreb a bit better. If I remember correctly the tickets were ridiculously cheap....

8. LLOS

LLOS New Member

Yet again?? Still waiting Euros come to Germany again, it's already 15 years ago :mad: starting to lose hope :(

9. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Plus, our rink is much better than Zagbreb's.

:lol:

10. mella

mella is lutz crazy!!!

A little surprised to see Euros back in Zagreb so soon but selfishly pleased as I was disappointed not to make it in '08 - I guess it could be to do with the costs if Zagreb is very cheap that would have appeal for the ISU as well as for fans in theory. Thought they would have been in Sotchi to be honest.

Again my promise to stop doing all my travel for skating competitions is postponed by a year... I'm sure I'll try to make it to Zagreb then maybe visit some other places in Croatia too.

Some will be very sad re: location of World's in Canada if the bid thread is anything to go by (although others will be very pleased I guess).

11. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

London! :cheer:

12. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

London, Ontario got it. (shaking head) It's a nice city, but it's hard to get to, and parking is a nightmare.

13. Evilynn

Evilynn ((Swedish skating dudes))

I was hoping for Germany too, although I've never been to Croatia, so maybe I should take the opportunity to go in 2013...

14. oooh wheeee!!! Zagreb was just great :D :D :D I'd love to go there again, and I'd love to go to Canada again too!

so I'm all :cheer2: :D

15. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Loved Zagreb, but like Eislauffan am surprised that they want it again considering how badly attended it was in 2008. :eek:

16. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Has Germany made a bid in the recent years?

17. luckiest1

luckiest1 Well-Known Member

London freakin' Ontario!!!!!! Woo hoo!!!!!! Bring on the party!!!!!

18. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

Uh oh. Winnipeg backers certainly aren't going to be happy. Doesn't matter to me. I'll probably go regardless of where it's held in Canada. And if I'm still living in the Great Lakes region, it's a reasonably simple drive to London.

19. Finnice

Finnice Well-Known Member

You are so right, Deedeelocks, the men´s result in Zagreb 2008 was wonderful!:encore::encore::encore:

I liked the town, too, the only minus being that they allowed people smoke in the cafes and restaurants. But it was CHEAP!

20. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

The Croation figure skating federation must have funding from the state or municipalities, because they host a surprising number of international figure skating competitions for such a small country! Annually they have the Golden Spin, Golden Bear and two other international competitions, they have already held the Euros and Junior Worlds and several JGP events. Maybe they arefunded to attract attention to Croatia and ticket sales are not so important.

21. TRAxel

TRAxel Active Member

How is London hard to get to? Just curious :) and I would think they would do something about the parking (because I live here, I know how bad it can be downtown) with such an event like this, I am crossing my fingers.

And :cheer2: I am SO happy about this!!! To not have to pay for a hotel room is the bees knees!

22. pair mom

pair mom New Member

Parking in London is a breeze when they used shuttle buses between JLC &Western Fair grounds. Very, very small city, 3 practice pads of ice at Western Fair and a cozy JLC!!! It was rockin' for Canadians both times we've hosted it as well as World Synchro a few years back!!! It's a wonderful venue, terrific volunteers and a stable, safe home country and city!!! No fear....London Ontario will be a wonderful Worlds!!!! :)

23. lexeoe

lexeoe New Member

is zagreb using the same venue as 2008? Dom Sportova is old. will they use Arena Zagreb instead? but based on the feedback above, Arena is bigger than Dom Sportova. if attendance was bad in 2008 maybe it'll be best to stick with the smaller venue.

24. nitsansh

nitsansh New Member

Maybe it would be the right time to visit my cousins in Zagreb....

25. nitsansh

nitsansh New Member

Does this mean the championship in the new format (with QR) will start on a Sunday?

26. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

What country or city that has hosted Worlds recently hasn't been stable and safe? :confused:

27. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

France in 2012. When you're that close to Didier Gailhaguet, nothing is safe or stable. :skandal

28. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Really shocked they went with Zagreb again. Back in 2008 even during the final groups in the LP the arena was half empty..:duh: Dont think it will be better this time.

29. sKATEr4life

sKATEr4life New Member

We have been spoiled since 2005 - and I'm LOVIN' IT!!!!!!!

30. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

WTF??????!!!!!!

Zagreb Europeans were A DISASTER.

The arena was an old run down building and the male loos didn't have toilet bowls, you had to squat over a hole.

Tickets didn't have seats attached so you had to make sure to arrive early to get good seats.

Half of the arena (the better half, the judges side) was cordoned off for the use of skaters and officials. :rolleyes:

Worst Euros I have been to by far. :scream:

Oh well, at least Zagreb is very cheap.

As for Junior Worlds, Milano is quite expensive. :/

And Canada obviously is ridiculously expensive, if you're European.

Because Portugal is not an ISU member. :p

They only sold the tickets for half of the arena, so no wonder the other half was empty. :wall:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010