ISI Artistic Programs

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by babbyrabbit, Dec 6, 2010.

1. babbyrabbit

babbyrabbit New Member

What are the artistic programs judged on?

What are your favorite elements to see in an artistic program?
  2. LLOS

LLOS New Member

I wonder about this too...
  3. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

From the 2008 Skaters and Coaches Handbook (you can order a newer one very easily at www.skateisi.com):

Artistic Skating Judging Criteria:
    Artistic impression, choreography and pattern, innovative moves, music interpretation and rhythm, edges and flow, posture and carriage, duration, general overall.
  4. LLOS

LLOS New Member

I know the criteria too but is it right that the techical elements don't mean that much, how you present the program is the main criteria? So jumps and difficult elements are not really necessary like in the "creative freeskate"(?)....
  5. Sk8Kate

Sk8Kate New Member

The technical elements performed don't mean a THING for an ISI Artistic program. A skater can perform whatever jumps they want, but it will have absolutely no bearing on the scores. It's a lot like an interpretive program, really just judged on how well you express the music and if there's a theme/story to the program.
  6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Ones that contribute to the story/theme of the program, and aren't just the skater showing off the most difficult stuff they can do.

Also, original stories/themes with some creativity seem to do better than just copying a character from a Disney movie or some such.
  7. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

An artistic program is supposed to be based only on the artistic score, there is no technical score. But I have seen more technically advanced skaters beat equally artistic but less technical skaters. Scores are sometimes about whoever is the best overall skater, regardless of artistic value.
  8. Morry Stillwell

Morry Stillwell Well-Known Member

9. LLOS

LLOS New Member

So, ISI Artistic program must be some entertaining stuff or can it be just a program to some nice music performed artisticly...something like that??

I'm talking about low level, ISI Freestyle 3...the high levels do of course better artistic programs...
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  10. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston New Member

I personally hate the props used in ISI events. I've seen so many little girls show up with these huge, elaborate backdrops and then do nothing but skate around them. I like the USFS interpretive program rules and use of props much better.
  11. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

I have to agree with you on this one! I don't think a prop belongs in a number unless it is actively being used in some way. If you just drag something out on the ice and let it sit there, it's not a prop, in my opinion - it's a piece of scenery.
  12. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I have competed ISI artistic programs. Many skaters use a few of their more difficult elements (usually from a higher test level than they have passed). However, the emphasis is more on choreography and expression than having x number of jumps or spins in your program, although I would put some in. This is a good category to show off inventive moves or variations on standard moves.

ISI spotlight is the category where you use props and elaborate costumes. Here you are judged on how well you illustrate your theme and entertain your audience. It is a show number. However, skating skill always helps the overall impression whether you are being judged on it or not.

ISI interpretive is when you here a piece of music twice and are given a few minutes on the ice to experiment with it. then you must leave the ice and cannot watch the skaters who compete before you. When it is your turn you go out on the ice and make up a program on the spot.
  13. Susan1

Susan1 Active Member

Many moons ago, I was an ice monitor for our club's ISI comp (had the list, lined up the skaters, told them when to go out, etc.) So, along comes an artistic event to a hula number. Guess who had to go out onto the middle of the ice afterwards in her Reebok's to pick up the pieces of grass skirt? Good news -- I didn't fall!
  14. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I always thought coming up with the props and costumes was half the fun.