Isadora Williams puts Brazil on Olympic skating map

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Article/interview: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/10/07/62616682/williams-puts-brazil-on-olympic-skating-map
    Excerpts:
    Her SP at 2013 Nebelhorn (50.35, 8th place) was much better than her FS and got her the Olympic spot - here it is (British Eurosport): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcONWYwZZFk
    Link to her ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012577.htm

Re-posting this video that aired in Brazil in March 2013 that still plays:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  2. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

it's wonderful when young girls can inspire others in countries with less of a tradition in figure skating to take up this beautiful sport.

it was heart breaking to see her expressions after the FS at Nelbelhorn ... she didn't realize at all that she managed to hang onto the last Olympic spot!

3. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I enjoyed reading the IN article (thanks for posting it Sylvia). :)

In particular I noted her words about realizing her dream, and that she will work harder than she has ever done before and will incorporate harder jumps into her programs. :cool:

4. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

If that is true, given the ISU requirement below, how does Brazil qualify to be a member of the ISU?

5. beepbeep

beepbeep Taking homeless Fabian home

WHEEEEE!!!!!
    Go Izzy!! :cheer2:

No idea.
    It's not like it doesn't have one now (but it used to), Brazil has never had a single decent sized ice rink. All of rinks are stamp sized mall rinks.

6. Lety

Lety Member

Go Isadora!!
    Yes, unfortunately Brazil don't even have a decent sized ice rink... It's sad, because everybody here in Brazil are charmed when they have access to this sport (only in the OG...)
    Isadora is an athlete with a lot of willpower to achieve your dream, because it's not easy being a brazilian athlete. There is a great lack of support, especially economic to athletes, and great force is necessary to achieve goals without this support.
    But either way she achieved her dream, and the merit is all hers, her family and coaches. And all of us Brazilians who follow skating are very proud of her and we'll be cheering a lot for her and that sport has more popularity and structure to be practiced here.

7. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Congrats. It is always heartening to note the lesser known countries in ice skating doing well. I hope the government is able to give her scholarship to train overseas in view of the limited resources in Brazil. It will really help her. good luck.

8. reese

reese Well-Known Member

She skates in the DC area and was born in Atlanta.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  9. beepbeep

reese has answered it

I've written this about a hundred times by now, but here's you 1253464th reminder ;)
    She IS Brazilian: any child born of at least one Brazilian parent, wherever in the world, is Brazilian.
    Her mom is Brazilian, so there you have it.

And her family has paid for all of her skating. The Brazilian ice sports governing body is absolutely shite, and, as of now and as far as I know, never given financial support to either her or Luiz Manella (I think they paid for traveling/entry fees of some competitions).

10. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

How much money could they possibly have to give support outside of travel/entry fees?

11. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

They probably don't have any money to give. I know that's the case with a lot of the smaller ISU members who are run on a largely voluntary basis.

12. Lety

Lety Member

Recently the Brazilian Confederation of Ice Sports also underwent a management crisis, and this has also affected for a moment the support for athletes who practice these sports. This was also a hurdle in recent times.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  13. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Isadora's SP at Nebelhorn was wonderful. I thought she actually should have got a higher score.

14. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I believe I read in an interview she gave she visits Brazil, but has never lived there. I think if you are going to represent a country at the Olympics, there should be some minimal residential requirement for the country you are representing. That being said, I do think she did a good job with her short program and looks promising.

15. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

(my bolding)
    Why? You don't think being a citizen of that country is enough? Isadora happened to pick a sport where taking up residence in one of her countries (Brazil) wouldn't get her anywhere due to lack of facilities and coaching options. If she had chosen soccer (football) for instance, then it might have made for an interesting choice of residencies or been able to realistically split-time.

16. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Suppose the shoe had been on the other foot and she'd been born in, say, Germany, to an American father and a German mother, and grown up there. And suppose she trained in Germany but wanted to compete for the U.S. Would we as a society say, no, you cannot do it unless you move here, or would we say, we are proud you want to represent us, now go out and do your best?

And why should the ISU or IOC care, as long as her Federation wants her and she has citizenship?

17. beepbeep

I understand it was also a political crisis between CBDG (Brazilian Ice Sports Federation) and the Brazilian Olympic Committee (COB), with allegations of corruption flying both ways. During that time, CBDG athletes got no financial help at all.

Things tend to be done a bit different in Brazil: if a hight level athlete trains at a club, the club tends to pick up the tab. And, if the club doesn't have a sponsor, the sports ministry pays the club back. I don't know what kind of agreement CBDG with its athletes as far as helping with training fees, since the athletes train outside of the country are not affiliated to a club.

The thing is, they do.
    We don't have a figure skating federation, we have CBDG, which rules all ice sports (speed/figure sakting, bobsled, skeleton, curling and hockey) and they get money from COB and the Sports Ministry. The problem is that nobody knows exactly where the money goes.
    Every time the winter olympics roll around, the press has the "look at taxpayers money being wasted in winter sports, which are pointless for the country since we'll make a fool of ourselves at the games".

18. allezfred

Sorry to hear that beepbeep. That's really awful for the skaters. :(

Countries like Brazil should be putting all the funding they get into their young skaters to develop the sport more.

19. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

beepbeep, sorry to hear about the lack of support for winter athletes in Brazil. It's frustuating indeed. It is quite common that with limited budget allocated to athletes, it is always the more popular sports which get the bigger cake leaving the athletes of less popular sports to foot their own training bills. I wish the government could consider allocating some kind of scholarship to athletes who have proven to be able to reach a high standard on their own so that the monies can go into supporting them to obtain better coaching and training facilities.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. NadineWhite

I agree, Iceman, and was disappointed to read that she's actually from the USA, not a native of the country that she's representing. :( Still, I enjoyed her and her skate the first time I saw her skate at Nebelhorn, as she reminded me of Shakespear's R&J quote about a rose. :)

21. Lety

Lety Member

Unfortunately even athletes of the most popular sports in Brazil (except soccer) suffer from a lack of support. There are examples in all sports. This is not a problem of lack of money or resources to support the athletes , but these are problems that we are not able to explain because they are also a puzzle for us sometimes (as beepbeep said, we do not know where goes the money intended to support the athletes), and there is also a lack of interest in supporting the athletes.
    Once athletes have achieved their goals, after much effort, they remember that these athletes are representing Brazil, as is happening now: they are saying that Brazil will be represented for the first time in skating during the Olympics, as they had given the support they should. When the results of the efforts are coming, everyone wants to be close to appear.
    It is with great sadness that I say this, but it happens a lot with athletes from various sports, from swimming to gymnastics.

22. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

23. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Best of luck, Isadora!!!

24. NadineWhite

Great article, thanks for posting it, Sylvia. :)

And I ditto what lala said. :cool:

25. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

Stray thoughts:

-Isabella is the antidpodean answer to Kiira Korpi.

-Some creative choreographer ought to take her up as his/her muse, and create a samba-inspired program just for her. :swoon:

-My shot in the dark with regard to Brazil fulfilling the eligibility requirements for ISU figure skating membership is that the mandate for a rink "of a size adequate to practice...the discipline" is sufficiently vague to jam Brazil through the square peg if the ISU so chooses (which they apparently do).

26. allezfred

Stray thoughts:

- It's Isadora.

- Brazil isn't in Australia or New Zealand. Neither is the U.S. :shuffle:

27. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

-My mind went briefly astray; I have a cousin named Isabella, and I like both names. :p

-The primary definition of "antipodean" is: situated at opposite sides of the earth. http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/antipodean

It has at times informally been taken to mean (an expropriation probably encouraged by members of the British Commonwealth ;)) Australia/New Zealand.

Given that a key point is that Isadora is skating for Brazil, I think you are quibbling in your reference to the US.

28. beepbeep

I was given an answer to that question from the federation.
    They said that Brazil can be a part of the ISU even without an adequate rink, they just don't get to vote on the decisions of the ISU council.
    I'm still not sure whether to trust it... :shuffle:

29. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

Interesting. I did not realize that one could be relegated to a less-than-full membership in this way. Pending the completion of requirements, I assume?

30. beepbeep

I have no idea. This came as a surprise to me too.
    I couldn't find anything in the rule book about it either.