Is Yuna Kim the richest skater in skating world?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by HVS, Aug 13, 2014.

1. HVS

HVS Active Member

[Forbes] World's highest paid female athletes 2014

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2014/08/12/the-worlds-highest-paid-female-athletes-2014/

Yuna is listed in the Top 10 since 2010, she debuted at 9th with around $9mil that year. I think not only skating world, but she is the richest among all winter athletes. Who more wealthy? Shaun White? :respec:

2. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Why is that in itself something to respect?

3. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

Agree, I don't get the OP. :watch: Yes, she might be the richest among figure skaters. Good for her. And she uses that money for some good reasons. So... good for her and congratulation. But... so what? :huh:

orientalplane likes this.
  4. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

It shows the level of success that she has achieved. Remarkable in itself, but also in that the top earner is both female as well as from a country that had no one close before her achieve any kind of success comparable to that which she achieved.

5. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

But wealth isn't necessarily indicative of success and you can't judge a person's success based on their wealth. Yes, Yuna has been highly successful. And had the luck or good fortune of being a superstar and a celebrity in her country. Her wealth is more a reflection of her celebrity status than her talent as a skater.

Plenty of successful skaters never get wealthy, especially those from small countries.

6. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Do some ubers ever need an actually legit reason to repeatedly praise their idol for?

Amantide likes this.
  7. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

Nobody's really arguing that I don't think. The OP poster was just wondering which skaters have had the most financial success.

If she had only been a better skater and performed better...imagine what her wealth might be like THEN??!! :p

:rolleyes: Kwan ubers have been getting a free pass for decades. I think we can let Kim ubers have their moment in the sun.

tlk, girlscouse62 and eusebius like this.
  8. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

My guess is

Richest: Vera Wang
    Thinnest: Qing Pang
    Most Powerful: Condoleeza Rice

And there you have the Gold Medalists in Today's Shallow Values. Unfortunately YuNa is not one of them, but she might have another Silver or two in these categories.

eusebius likes this.
  9. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Richest in terms of income or richest in terms of net worth? I suspect someone like Dick Button may be the richest in terms of net worth, given his many years of broadcasting, shows and promotion.

10. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Agreed.

OT: Nice pic, PeterG!

11. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Uh, she achieved her celebrity status because of her talent as a skater. Yuna Kim is no Anna Kournikova.

That said, the wording of the OP is silly.

12. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

How so? I just re-read everything the OP posted and don't see anything silly there. If you want silly wording, check out the "Fumie Siguri Failed to Qualify For Nationals" thread. An embarrassment of riches there, for sure! :D

:blush:

13. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

get that $$$$ yuna!!:rofl:

14. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Plenty of very talented skaters with world and Olympic medals do not attain Yuna's celebrity status. Yuna was really in the right time and place to become a celebrity.

Plenty of skaters capitalized on the dramatic rise in interest in FS that occurred subsequent to the Kerrigan-Harding incident. Some of those are very wealthy, including Scott Hamilton, Victor Petrenko, and Kurt Browning - though Browning accrued wealth through his SOI venture and broadcasting career as well. Kerrigan herself probably benefited financially from the whack, as did other American skaters of her era.

Other retired amateur skaters who are no less talented will likely not achieve the same level of wealth because the opportunities on the show circuit and in professional skating aren't there anymore. Are those skaters less successful, then?

shine likes this.
  15. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

But a gigantic percentage of Yuna Kim's wealth comes from Korean endorsements. There were Korean skaters before Yuna Kim who did not come near the amount of endorsements. Why? They didn't have the results. Yuna Kim has the endorsements, fame and popularity because she won competitions and her country was thrilled by that. That's not too difficult to figure out, is it?

16. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Don't forget that South Korea is one of the 'Asian Tigers', an economic powerhouse. And while Canada, America, Russia, etc., might have half a dozen stars stretched over the various disciplines in any given decade, YuNa is still their only skating star, period. Plus, she has, for a celebrity athlete or otherwise, a great sense of behaving with grace and dignity. Add beauty, two Olympic medals back-to-back, and for sponsors, it is just what the doctor ordered. You could say that fate hit the jackpot in the very talented YuNa's favour.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
    shine and skateboy like this.
  17. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Yuna is striking while the iron is hot. Her endorsement earnings will likely decrease now that she isn't skating anymore.

18. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

Yet I had the feeling OP was just bragging about Yuna's wealth. I mean, seriously, I am glad for Yuna as she is very talented and rich and she uses that money for good reasons. Just don't get the idea of bragging about someone's wealth. :scream:

shine likes this.
  19. HVS

HVS Active Member

Oh take it easy folks, it's just simply a question for god sake!!! I didn't even ask any of you show respect or congrats her, big deal, huh? :summer:
    Yeah, I saw a theard discussing about "kwan's hair" or something like that before, so at least I believe the topic talk about skater's wealth is more serious than skater's hair :40beers:

20. ToFarAwayTimes

ToFarAwayTimes Active Member

Don't get upset HVS. You have to understand that if you post anything about Yuna Kim, certain Japanese/Russian fans will give your thread an automatic drive-by. Every. Single. Time.

HVS and clairecloutier like this.
  21. pocoloco

pocoloco New Member

Well, the question of the thread doesn't really invite a discussion, because the answer to "is she the wealthiest skater?" is probably yes, I mean we certainly have heard about it for years. I don't think that she's the richest winter athlete because there's probably some hockey players that earn more than her (not that I am any sort of authority on hockey).

A few answers in this thread are dismissive, but your comment is only fanning the flames. :shuffle:

Amantide likes this.
  22. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

duh!! you're comparing ice hockey players who are professionals with salaries in their teams??! not to mention women are inferior when it comes to earnings compared to men..

as for this thread.. take that :bribe: yuna!! :lol: haters gonna' hate.. while she's laughing her way to the bank!!:rofl:

23. HVS

HVS Active Member

I'm not upset, it's okay, honey :cheer2: I just laugh at some double standard here :2faced:

24. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

Seriously, is there something wrong with your head??? :scream: it's not like Yuna being the richest skaters makes any change to our lives. I said congrats her for the wealth and it's good that she is using her money for good reasons.
    I mean what do you expect normal people to say? She is rich and skating world has known about that for...years. It's like you are saying: "oh look, the sun is on the sky." We are just saying: "Yes, it's on the sky." What do you want us to say, like " "Oh my god the Sun God is on the sky" or what? :watch: How weird! It has nothing to do with haters. It's common sense.
    Seriously just stating the obvious. And I am surely not even Japan or Russian fans, not even a Kwan's fan. Lol. It's like you are saying "Bill Gate is the richest man on Earth", my reply would be the same: "Yeah...so????"
    For the record even Bill Gate is not the richest man on earth anymore.

Amantide likes this.
  25. HVS

HVS Active Member

I don't think you are a hater, just normal non-fan. But if you don't know how to react about this then just don't reply, so simple.

Riveredge's post may for this kind of people, stay pressed, hater :2faced:

26. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Whatever. Some of us just don't see any point or value in repeatedly celebrating or praising someone for their wealth like it's some kind of rare, glorified virtue. And like another poster said, we've been hearing this for years. I would've felt the same way if this was ANY skater. So she is rich and successful. So she was able to capitalize on her talent and success. Many skaters have been just as talented, and even more skaters have worked just as hard, but not everybody is fortunate enough to get the same kind of opportunities for being in the right place at the right time. So good for her. And you'd be seriously mistaken if you think I'm either pro-Russia or pro-Japan.

27. hirtmoles31

hirtmoles31 Active Member

Someone is butthurt. And considering most regard Yu Na as the best skater ever, almost all the skaters you are referring to do not have her success level or ability. The only ladies singles of recent times who even come close- Kwan, Witt, Asada, are all very very rich.

28. HVS

HVS Active Member

Someone is bitter here :rofl:

29. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

jezuz! i'm just laughing because posters including you, are annoyed why this thread even exist.. seriously.. the thread starter is asking a question whether there's an intent to brag or not..who cares? you can just reply by saying this certain skater is also making money, etc without trying to be negative.. but the way some posters here are simply hating because it is yuna.. i wonder if the title of this thread "is michelle kwan the richest skater in skating world? or "is johnny weir the richest skater in skating world? will have the same doubts and questioning the threadstarter's intention.. of course you won't call them bots.. apparently it will only apply to yuna's supporters..

yeah right..

30. shine

shine Well-Known Member

You must think posters here are stupid if you really believe that we didn't know that the OP had asked a rhetoric question. In fact, any figure skating fan who has been following skating for the last quad know who the richest figure skater is. So yeah, this is such an interesting question to discuss.
    Oh yeah? You know somethign that I don't?
    Someone cannot come up with a half intelligent response. Is this all you can do when you find out that others don't agree with your world view?