Is there no Right way or Wrong way to Ice-Dance?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by FSWer, Jun 28, 2012.

1. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Say,that question came to me while Skating at Public Skate a few Days ago. As there were Skaters practicing Dance moves on the ice with us. Anyway,am I right at saying that there IS no Right or wrong way to Ice-Dance? Inwhich case,as LONG as you DANCE in SOME way on Ice...your Ice-Dancing? Even though your not using actual Ice-Dance moves (even with a Partner). Or do you HAVE to BE using REAL Ice-Dance moves for it to ACTUALLY be CALLED Ice-Dancing? Does anyone know?

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. But if I'm answering the right question, yes, you are only considered to be ice dancing if you are doing an actual dance, or parts of a dance.

There are a lot of steps in ice dances that are used in singles and pairs, mostly in the footwork sequences or the connecting steps between elements. But if you were doing ice dance steps as part of a singles or pairs program, you would not be doing ice dance - you would still be doing singles or pairs skating.

3. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

So,just because I'm Dancing in some way on ice doesn't mean I'm Ice-Dancing?

4. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

The compulsory dances have certain steps that have to be done on the right edges and the right counts of the music and follow a certain pattern. They are very specific. So if you don't know those steps, you're not doing that dance.

There is such a thing as free dance, but beginners start with the compulsory dances so they can learn the steps and holds.

You may be dancing on the ice, but you're probably not doing an official ice dance.

5. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

If I am in a public session, I can get there and shake booty and move to the music, but that is not ice dancing.

If there was a piece of music on that I did a compulsory dance pattern to in a public session, then I am ice dancing.

6. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

Did those skaters feel that they had the right-of-way because they were doing legitimate dances? On a public session no one in particular has the right-of-way. On a dance session, working on a real dance would give them the right-of-way over someone just making stuff up.