Is There A Way For U.S.'ers (Americans) To Watch CBC Programming?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, Feb 6, 2012.

1. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

CBC being the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. My sister lives across the border and would like to be able to watch CBC coverage of the hockey playoffs and the summer Olympics. When she goes to the CBC website to do this, it says that it is unavailable in her region.

Thought some of you computer whiz people might have some suggestions. :)

2. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Can't we just all go over to your place and watch :shuffle:?

3. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

that's how i was going to replace my universal sports coverage

peter, i like my iced tea unsweetened, thanks in advance

Domshabfan and (deleted member) like this.
  4. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

CTV & TSN are broadcasting the summer Olympics, not the CBC.

5. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

There used to be but it was a grey market paid satellite broadcast. I had it for years but CBC sued and the companies that offered it in the US have disappeared.

I'm not really sure why the CBC is so proprietary. If you live close to the northern border you can get it in the US on cable. Seems like they could offer it as an option in other parts of the US and make a profit but they don't. I miss Coronation Street. :wuzrobbed:

6. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

If she lives just across the border, she should be able to have access to CBC on her television. So, she shouldn't miss the hockey playoffs. I think Verses (?) shows hockey in the US.

As alongquin pointed out, CTV and TSN having broadcasting rights to the Summer Olympics, which I don't think many Americans (if any) have access. However, while Americans criticized NBC's televised coverage of the Olympics, I believe their internet coverage was much more thorough and live.

7. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I thought she said she could only get CBC on a channel up in the 300's...I assumed she had to pay for an expensive package to get that (but did not want to). I seem to remember someone from Everett saying that she got CBC when we were at Skate America, and Bellingham is much closer to the border than Everett... :confused:

Thank you, I remember now that someone said this last night, so I should not have made this thread specifically about the CBC, but those channels as well. :)

Excellent. Current "guests" often "compliment" me on how much my place is like Hotel California. Which sounds so sunny and fun, no? :EVILLE:

Wiery and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Not sure if it's still available or in your sister's region, but a few years ago I had a hockey channel in the US - I think it was something like Ice Time or Ice Network - only about $10 a month through Time Warner Cable, and I got everything. The games were picked up from local broadcasters, so we were able to watch HNIC for example.

9. Skate Talker

Skate Talker Replaced the display under my name

what about slingbox - from your tv? does that work cross-border?

10. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

If it's any consolation, Corrie has gotten really stupid in the last few years. Not quite in the realm of evil-twins-and-amnesia as American soaps, but still more eye-rolling storylines than I have patience for. I stopped watching a year or two ago, but still catch the odd scene when it comes on after the news ... and after 2 or 3 minutes I'm quickly reminded why I don't watch any more!

11. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

So back to the original topic ... check out this thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=82207

Perhaps some advise there for how your sister can use a proxy server to fool the CBC website into thinking she's in Canada? (I've never gone this route so I don't know how it works ...)

And drifting somewhat OT again ... when I was in New York last year and tried to watch the playoffs I got geoblocked from both directions! First I tried CBC and was told I couldn't access it from out of Canada. So then I tried the website of whatever American network was carrying the playoffs ... and was told that I had a Canadian IP address so couldn't access that either! Is that fair?

12. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

They've always had their goofy moments. Remember Jack and the imaginary pirate? :lol: