Is Sotnikova's FS music the worst of all time?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap Well-Known Member

At least she's trying something different, which is more than I can say for a lot of the top skaters out there.

2. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

A piece of safe, overused music can bore me to sleep yes (Zhang's Turandotzzz), but it really doesn't frustrate me enough to want to mute the computer like when I watched this Sotnikova program.

Point is, it's good to try something new, but this is obviously a failed attempt.

3. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

For some reason the Russian girls, Sotnikova, Lipnitskaia and Tuktamysheva and their programs, remind me less of free skating exhibitions in their construction and more like gymnastics floor routines. They seem to tumble from trick to trick at either end of the rink grabbing their legs to their heads, with not a great deal of connection to the music.

4. alj5

alj5 Well-Known Member

5. aliona22

aliona22 Member

it sounds like the soundtrack from an eighties cartoon. so many random changes... love her shoot the duck --> 2Lz! all her signature spin positions were cool; seems like no one does those variations in their camel spins anymore because of the rotation requirement.

god i loved the end of her fs that year.

6. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Exactly my thought, and my fear, especially with Lipnitskaya. I have the feeling that Figure Skating is more and more like gymnastic : spectacular, but not artistic at all.

7. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Definitely agree. For me, not only is the music grating, but the program doesn't feel cohesive at all. I think Sotnikova has a performance ability and heart to her skating the separates her from the other Russian young ladies, but this program does nothing for her and she doesn't really have good jump technique to fall back on either.

8. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Wonderful analogy. Although I am actually becoming impressed by Tuk this season. And Sot is also a musical skater, as shown by her short program and her programs in the 2010-11 season. She just doesn't always have the vehicle.

9. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I feel like Sotnikova's FS music wouldn't bother me as much if she was skating better than she has been thus far this season....

10. Manaud

Manaud New Member

Ohhhh I forgot about that one because I was so busy hating the ghost soundtrack piece. Seriously...

11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Same here. Especially Lipnitskaya - she's all attack and flail. So far, I am not feeling Sotnikova at all as a senior. I didn't feel that way about her as a junior. She is neither fiery nor lyrical -- like she isn't sure what her style should be. She seems preoccupied with being perfect to the point that the errors throw her and she can't express herself. These programs don't help. It has to be hard for her seeing Tukt in her 2nd GPF and Lipnit in her 1st. Not nuts about Team Mishin choreography generally, but Tuktamysheva has a sparkle and a personality on the ice that makes her interesting to watch so she's my favorite of the 3.

12. satchelpooch318

satchelpooch318 New Member

I wish there was a skater like Hubert competing now...that hypothetical skater could probably do something mind-blowing with Xtina's vocal gymnastics caterwauling.