Is Sotnikova's FS music the worst of all time?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Nov 12, 2012.

1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

I can't think of any music I've hated more than this Aguilera travesty. I don't hate Xtina but this sloppy mess of music of just inexcusable. She needs to dump this program NOW.

2. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Yes. The howling would have been OK if it wasn't used 3 times.

Liebestraum was boring but at least it was pretty.

3. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I like the end, but even that is slightly grating after the billionth time. Can't stand the program. She needs something more substantial. There are so many stunning film scores, if that's what she wants. Modern ones, too: Snow White and the Huntsman, Hunger Games, Alice in Wonderland...she can do something unique and modern that's still more potentially lasting than Burlesque.

4. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

The vocalizing near the end really doesn't work. I thinks it's fine in the beginning though but not near the end. But not on the top of the list of problems with her.

5. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

...So I'm trying to not let her music choice irritate me too much because I like Adelina's skating, but also because I fear that she is just doing us a favor, by preparing us for what music choices will be like after 2015... :scream: :yikes:

6. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

:( and this is why I'm bummed.

I see tasteful uses of music with words. I also see some crappy ones. And I'm afraid that the tasteful stuff will be harder to come by.

7. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I/K's FD gives it a run for the money...

8. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

Yes, yes a million times yes! I just can't watch her long program unless I put it on mute. Second year in a row that a Russian lady has one of the most horrible music for the LP. Although I could watch Makarova's without the sound on mute.

9. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I must be the only one who loves Sotnikova's music and program. She's obviously not got her feet under her yet this season, but I love the character of this program, especially the step sequence...so different from what other ladies are doing (and not only different, but musical and engaging). I hope we get to see it performed 'full-out' later this season. I really like that she takes chances with her choreography, and that she has the ability to pull it off. For me Sotnikova's Xtina is good voidy, while Makarova's Marilyn was very bad voidy.

10. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I&K's is far worse.

11. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

I could maybe ignore the xtina wailing, but it unfortunately also uses includes parts of that wretched At Last. This program is dead to me.

This, however, I could watch over and over for the lols.

12. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Yes. It is the worst, all disciplines considered.

13. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I EFFING HATE HER LP MUSIC!!! It's a shame because I love Adelina and her skating, but I've never been a fan of Aguilera's tendency to over-sing and overpower songs, particularly one as beautiful as "At Last." Poor Etta James . . . to have been in the same room with her when she first heard Christina murder that song . . . such a travesty! She butchered all the guts from that song and torched up the bones along with it. :scream:

14. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

I just busted out laughing when I saw this thread title since I was just watching the Cup of Russia on Universal Sports. Yes, her FS music is pretty horrible.

15. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

The program itself isn't that bad. I don't like the use of the Christina Aguilera vocals. They took a song with words and chopped and edited is so that there would be no words...the actual song is awesome! It's one of my favorites off the Burlesque soundtrack and I get what she was trying to do. I think she could have found some more cohesive pieces of music.

However, that version of "At Last" is absolutely beautiful (the saxophone section right after the first round of vocals). I need to look it up to see where I can download it. I love that part of the program too...

16. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

When I tell you i hate Christina's voice there. I agree that the 3 times is just overkill. I like really hate it. Adelina mentioned in an interview that she was having a rough time doing what she does in practice in competitions. That noise that she is skating to does not help. I love tarasova but she has really tanked Adelina's style big time

17. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

does she have time to change it before her Nationals?

18. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

Is it really worse than generic Samson and Delilah for the 100th time? Or Rhapsody in Blue? Or Turandot?

I agree, the music cuts are strange and could be improved, but kudos for trying something original.

Sotnikova's jump technique makes me cringe more than her music. :yikes:

Ares likes this.
  19. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

It is unfortunate as she's the only Russian "former Junior Girl" that I like but.....I think this is one of the worst long program music selections in years :p.. What a shame

20. Ares

Ares Guest

ITA

It's refreshing that she didn't just pick a song off of skating's greatest hits.

21. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Yes, but maybe just barely. :) Samson and Delilah would be ok for me after a 5-10 year hiatus. You may burn every copy of the other two. It's a sad world we're living in though if the only choices are overused garbage or brand new garbage. Now if someone were to skate to instrumental Garbage, the band- that I could get on board with...

22. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

ITA with haribobo. Why is it overused garbage or new garbage? There's so much non-garbage!

23. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I feel about it the way I felt about Tabitha Yim's Blues for Klook floor routine. Not my cup of tea, but there are parts I like and really love the effort to break out of the ordinary, safe kind of program.

I would have cut the music differently so that Christina's wailing sounded less ... scatalogical, but it doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother others. Bluesy - jazz is a sorely underutilized genre in skating, generally, especially for ladies.

24. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I couldn't care less about the music. I just want her to get her confidence back and skate like I know she can. :wuzrobbed

25. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Oof, Puccini and Gershwin can't catch a break in FSU.

I agree with you rfisher. I loved her performances in Japan over the summer. She skated with such a spirit and joy.

26. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

IMHO Kerrigan's "Paradise and the Master" give this one a run for its money.

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

That too, sigh.

28. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I & K's FD is my nominee for worst program track (I hesitate to call it music).

29. LongTimeLurker

LongTimeLurker New Member

I like Christina Aguilera, but not for this.... It also seems too sophisticated for a teenager to be skating to - even if it's in a sheer-look top that leaves little to the imagination. That said, my vote for worst music this season goes to Trankov & Volosozhar's shrill saxophone piece. Ouch, my ears!

30. Alixana

Alixana Definitely NOT a sonogram

I dunno .. some of the Edvin Marton techno classics make me want to rip my ears off. :scream: