Is Sasha Cohen Going To Go To College?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by missing, Apr 1, 2011.

1. missing

missing Well-Known Member

A friend of mine emailed me to say she saw Sasha on the Today Show this morning and Sasha mentioned being accepted by NYU (and my friend thought maybe Columbia also).:)

Does anyone here know more about this?

2. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Sasha has already spoken about taking classes (she has already taken a few apparently) at NYU and her intention to possibly attend in interviews. Is she going to attend in a more concentrated way to get a degree - sounds like she is thinking of that. If she mentioned Columbia that's new. We'll see what she does next academic year.

3. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

That's cool wherever she goes.
    Has she said anything about what she wants to do after college yet?

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Here's a Sasha Cohen article from last month in which she mentions college: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3094184&postcount=14

Also posted in that thread: FSO Q&A (March 22, 2011): http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2011/03/22/sasha-cohen-i-think-that-im-truly-done/

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  5. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Maybe I am reading too much into it but I kind of laughed when Sasha says "I never got my undergrad, so..." Umm, lol, you can't get an undergrad without going to college first...

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

She did take college level classes on and off which is what she likely meant.

8. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Yay, yippee skippee, this is what I wish for all skaters, go get that degree Sasha. It's going to take a while, part time, but at least she has figured out that she can do summers. And perhaps she is thinking that her SOI might not continue indefinitely, perhaps others (Alissa?) are on their way?

9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I just hope it's not film school.

10. falling_dance

falling_dance ToT Thread For Sale

:sekret:

It's not film school; it's cat herding. :irina1: is also applying to the program.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

A degree in cat herding is even more useless than a degree in English. :p Both are exercises in futility.

12. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

I'm happy for Sasha. I think she will love NYU :)

13. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Is that Slutskaya?

14. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I think it would be really hard to be a 27-year-old freshman at NYU. The New School would be better, imo.

15. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

True, but Sasha can pretend she's 20. She looks young enough to be 20, and I have a feeling she will always have that young look (lucky her).

Glad to hear she'll at least be dabbling or maybe more. That's great! She should skate and tour while she still can, and try to see what may interest her in school so she can pursue it when the skating tapers off.

O-

16. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I think she should skate as long as she can. She can always go to college but she can't always skate. If she can do both, great.

17. falling_dance

falling_dance ToT Thread For Sale

Tell that to program coordinator Marion Krijgsman! :p

That's the last of it, I promise.

18. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

ITA! I think that college will be very good for her. She'll be able to explore a lot of different fields before settling on a second career.

19. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

But there are freshman in their 30's, 40's, 50's, and 70's in college all the time. You just need to have the desire-and be young at heart. :D

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I once met a 54 year old medical student. Just saying.

21. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

I think Sasha said that she wanted to go to college while she was close to the same age as her classmates because she wants the whole college experience.

22. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

Good-luck to Sasha! I always enjoyed her skating, so wish her the best.

23. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I think that it is great that she is going to college. She looked fabulous on the "Today" show..I like her hair.

24. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Absolutely. My comment was NYU-specific. My opinion is that it's not the easiest place to be a non-traditional undergrad student (i.e. not 18-years-old).

Best of luck to Sasha.

25. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

Not sure I see what's so difficult about NYU for a 27-year-old, especially one who looks like she's still a teenager. NYU is in the middle of Manhattan, where students can move in whatever circles they desire, college-related or otherwise. It's probably the most urban campus in America (if you can even consider it a campus), with classes in high-rise buildings, dorms in hotels, and a large number of students who live off campus. It isn't as if this is a school in a "college town" in the middle of nowhere where all students live in on campus.

26. OKOK

OKOK New Member

27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Sounds like the right fit! Good for her.

28. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

I completely disagree. The feel of NYU vs.Columbia is like night and day IMHO. A walk thru wash sq can really feel like you've stumbled into a high school sr. class trip IMO.

29. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

ITA. In regards to what others think, don't knock it. I took online courses in 2009 related to my profession to become certified and licensed. I was 49 then.

I took another course this year (not online) to become certified which is related to the job I now have. I believe that no one's ever too old to further their education. It keeps the mind alert and alive. :) :respec:

It's good that Sasha is going to college to further her education ... no matter what the reason is. :)

30. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

ITA even if it's just for fun. Most of us actually have to be constantly learning to keep our professional status active, licenses valid, etc... and for people of my generation at least, a mid-life career change is almost the norm so tons of people go back to school in their mid-life years.