Is Sasha Cohen competing this season?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Todd, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Todd

Todd New Member

Sasha is listed in the team envelopes but not on the Grand Prix?

2. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I don't think she plans to compete and I doubt we will see her compete again. It was a "race for the Olympics" that didn't work out as planned.

3. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Too bad, she could have won NHK with ease. :lol:

4. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

It would of been nice to see her compete again. I saw her skate live at Riverdance On Ice and she looked and skated strong! Her jumps were solid, no bobbles or wonky landings. She seemed more confident. I've read that she has signed on to do all the SOI shows this season.

5. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

6. krenseby

krenseby New Member

I would love to see Sasha compete in either professional competitions or pro-ams. If there were any.

7. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

Well, she has a bye to Nationals. I don't know if she will use it.

8. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I hope she competes again too her short last year was gorgeous, I was missing some of that creativity at NHk.

9. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Did she get a bye to Nationals for her 4th place finish?

10. azskatefan

azskatefan New Member

Yes. The top-five competitors in the senior ranks, if I'm not mistaken, all receive byes to nationals. Sylvia can correct me on this but I also think that all the reigning Olympic medalists receive byes so Lysacek and Davis/White can compete in the next four nationals as long as they file their paperwork.

11. DreamSkates

DreamSkates New Member

SOI and shows seem to be her forte - no pressure to be perfect, so she can be free to be perfect.

12. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I'm doubting it. She's doing SoI this year. Professional skating is her thing.

13. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I'm also of the opinion that she wanted to go to Vancouver.

I loved her short last year but wasn't crazy about her "Moonlight Sonata" program (what can I say? I think the most fun music to watch others skate to is music with unique orchestrations).

14. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I would love to see how she would do if she attempted a 5 triple program with no flip or lutz, and an SP with only sal and toe, but of course she never will.

15. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I would like to see the crowd get excited like they got excited when she performed her short program at 2010 nationals.

16. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Not even sure. She doesn't have the glide of Carolina, and she is able to fall on almost every jump... :p

17. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Oh please. She can't even rotate a 2a....

18. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Why don't they ask if someone is going to compete before they put them on the team envelope? If someone is not going to compete, do they assign someone else to the team envelope.

19. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Correct. They would just have to register by the qualifying competition deadline of September 1st.

The team envelopes usually are published in May/June, and some skaters don't make a decision about competing until before or after the Sept. 1st qualifying comp. deadline.

No one else is assigned if an envelope spot is vacated by a skater or team.

AFAIK, neither Sasha Cohen nor USFS has made any official announcements re. whether or not she plans to compete in 2010-11.

20. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

interesting thread.

as much as i would sasha to come back, i think that she already accomplished a lot by skating at nationals last year. yes, she didn't make it to the olympics, but she showed a lot of class and determination. you could tell that the pewter medal genuinely meant something to her. and that's how i would like to remember sasha!!

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Having seen Carolina implode at 2009 Worlds live, I'd say it's one of the worst performances in recent history at a major competition.

22. Octoberopals

Octoberopals New Member

Plus she gets paid $$$ for both.

23. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I think Mao topped it at NHK.

24. Schmeck

Schmeck New Member

I've never seen her skate perfectly at SOI, and I've been every year she's toured with them. She's done a few nice doubles, but I think she's landed maybe one triple, and has spent more time being carried around than actually skating.

I was hoping she was competing this year, so I wouldn't have to suffer through another floppy performance at this year's SOI. At least Kurt is touring for the 25th anniversay, so that will be my saving grace.

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

This year? I haven't seen it but will look for it. SP or LP?

26. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

SP wasn't good, but FS was a disaster of epic (near Hubertian) proportions. :( NBC may wish that it weren't broadcasting the NHK ladies event this weekend.

27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

OK, just saw Mao LP from NHK. You know what, yes, jump-wise it was a disaster. But this is a truly lovely program with so much nice flow and transitions (oh if only she pointed her toes). So there is plenty to love in this program even with botched jumps. I really hope she gets it together. She also looked a bit thinner than usual so I wonder if that's a factor.

With Carolina, it was just one big :eek: and :scream: throughout. It was uncomfortable to watch with nothing else to enjoy in the program unless you are into speed skating.