Is North America Ready for a $55,000 Hyundai?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rex, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It will be in dealerships this month. Personally, I have been impressed with what they have been offering the past couple of years, but this is a little too much. Of course, it's out of my price range anyway, but I know some of you could afford a car like this. The question is, would you?

Hyundai Equus Review.

Discuss.

2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Never. A car for me is simply a way to get from point A to point B. I currently drive a Honda Civic. My next car will be a Honda Fit. Yeah, I'm kind of cheap :), but I honestly don't get the thrill of owning an expensive car.

Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  3. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

CBS Sunday Morning had a report on Hyundai's success this year.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6253092n

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/02/28/sunday/main6252476.shtml

4. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

ITA! There are just so many other things that I would rather spend my money on. My husband drives a Toyota Prius; I drive the 1999 Avalon that I inherited from my mother.

5. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Fits are usually less expensive than Civics, but everyone I know who has a Fit said I made the better choice going with the Civic instead. (And I think Fits are really cute! So many cupholders! :lol: ) I think the driving experience is better with a Civic. In the end it didn't matter to me since I got a great deal with my Civic and it ended up about the same price as a Fit. :lol:

6. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

Every person I know who has or had a Hyundai has nothing but bad things to say, so I've always been a little nervous about them.

I'm with the majority about function/cost. I drive a Toyota Echo that I got for my HS graduation and I love it. Great gas mileage, reliable, cute and it does the job. It's now 6 years old with 130k kms on it and I plan on driving it for a good long time. We recently bought a Chevy Silverado, but when we're not using it for a purpose, the Echo is all we use.

7. silverstars

silverstars New Member

People generally buy Mercedes, BMWs, and the like because they're status symbols--they're pretty, fast, and everyone knows their big pricetag. Hyundai just doesn't say anything that people will want to put down $55,000 for.

I personally love my Civic, but if I had $55,000 to blow on a car, it wouldn't be a Hyundai.

BigB08822 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

No one expected the Genesis to be successful, but it is, but I too am a little :wideeyes: over a 50K+ Hyundai.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  9. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

We've had 3 Hyundais in a row, (Elantra, Elantra wagon and now Sonata) and no problems at all. They are very good value for the money. And we get good service at the dealership.

But I wouldn't spend 55k on ANY car

10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

I'm more intrigued with the decision to name the car after a play about a guy who wants to bang horses.

11. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Heck no! I'm like Orbitz, a car is something you jump in to get from a to b. I want it to be comfortable and reliable but higher price doesn't always mean that. Then again, my hubby and I believe in paying for our cars in cash, absolutely no financing, so that price tag is out of our price range, that's for sure!

12. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I am so glad I am not the only person who thought this first.

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Me three.

14. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Hyundai, always horsing around.
    Whoever names their cars can't be very stable. da-BING!

15. NeilJLeonard

NeilJLeonard Well-Known Member

Had a Hyundai once. Loved the design, but it was junk at 50K miles. I've heard the newer models are much, much better but I'd hesitate to buy one. As for buying a $55K Hyundai? Never. A Bimmer 1 Class or 3 Class or a Cadillac CTS would be more desirable in that price range.

NJL (..and, since I consider a car to be more than a transportation module, a much less expensive Mini Cooper S or a Fiat 500 Abarth would be even better...;)...)

16. love skating

love skating Clueless American

We have three Hyundais - Sonata, Entourage (minivan which I believe they don't make any more) and a Genesis. We love them all and really haven't had a problem with them.

17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I lurve the new Sonata - it's totally gorgeous, even if it doesn't have a V-6. The Azera and Genesis are handsome, if unoriginal-looking. Ditto their Sante Fe and Veracruz. The Elantra and Tuscon are fug, however. The Equus looks expensive, but kind of dated.

18. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Come on now, the new Elantras aren't so bad. The colours suck, though. I have a dark grey one because it was the only shade that wasn't somehow too bright or lacklustre. And it hides dust well. ;)

I paid well under $20,000 after fees and taxes for my 2010 Elantra, and wonder if I over-paid sometimes. :p I can't imagine paying $55,000 for a car that didn't come with some big, big perks, like the self-parking Lexus or some seriously tricked out entertainment system on board. But I'm new to car ownership, so I'm the wrong one to ask.

19. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

The interior color choices, as with most cars, seem limited to black, grey and beige.

I think the article says that Equus has most of those big, big perks.

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Images from Equus the play flash through my (perverted) mind. :slinkaway

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

Initially, I would have said the interior colour wasn't nearly as important. The week before we got the car, I cleaned the inside of my mother's light beige Impala to help her out. I'm very happy with the black/grey interior after that experience.

If I had that kind of money to spend on a car, I'd like to think the brand wouldn't matter past it being reliable and such. Who knows, though? I laughed when someone at Hyundai head office mentioned branching out into racing, but I also laughed at the idea of owning one 4-5 years ago.

Now I understand why Daniel Radcliff came to mind when I saw the name.

22. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Totally. If I were gonna buy a car, I would definitely have a Hyundai on my list. Their JD Power Initial Quality rankings are right up there with the Japanese. And above most of the domestic brands.

The idea of Daniel in the back seat of a Hyundai........:rofl:.

23. SaSherka

SaSherka New Member

We just got the 4th Hyundai in the family (had Elantra, Accent (and it's Euro predecessor way back then), and now Sonata) and I do believe that the quality is getting much better with the newer models.
    So, yes, sure, if I had an extra 55K, I'd consider the purchase. =)

24. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I think when you get to 50+K, it's mostly a prestige purchase. I'm sure Hyundai will build a solid , luxurious car and from a value standpoint it will look like a bargain. The big question is will those with 50K to spend want to be seen behind the wheel of a Hyundai, which is definitely thought of as a 'budget buy'.

Lexus and Infiniti tried the same thing in the early 90s, and they were wildly successful. But I think they brought much more to the table relative to their contemporaries than Hyundai is bringing at present. (The original Lexus and Infiniti sedans were truely groundbreaking, while this Hyundai will just be at most 'on par' with what the competitors offer, but at a signficantly cheaper price). What I mean is that the early 1990s Lexus/Infiniti were more desirable in many ways than their German counterparts at ANY price, and that's what created the prestige.

Lexus/Infiniti also established a separate brand identity from the parents Toyota and Nissan, and I think that quickly established them as prestige marques. That's harder to do when you only have one brand, and someone who paid only 15K for their Hyundai Accent wears the same brand as your 55K Equus, and both of you will be servicing your car at the same dealership sans red carpet, biscotti and croissant :drama:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  25. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Hyundai had thought about creating a premium brand, but didn't want to invest the money to do so in this shaky economy.

But I think that you summed it up perfectly, FunnyBut. The Genesis and Equus are hardly innovative, but what they give you at that price point is amazing.

26. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

BUMP.
    So far, it's been receiving mixed reviews. Most of the major auto magazines have this "yes, but it doesn't...." attitude towards it. And it recently finished dead last in a Motor Trend luxury car comparo. And it starts at 58K! :eek:. And what is the point of the reclining rear seat with the footrest if you have to be less than 5'5" to use it?

I had forgotten that VW tried the same approach with their Phaeton, but failed miserably. Of course, that started at 75K.

But I would not count them out yet - most likely they will examine the car's shortcomings and later versions will be as close to perfect as perfect can get....

27. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Works for me :shuffle:

I think that would be especially nice for kids on long trips. Course it would work for everyone in my family though :slinkaway

Hyundai didn't do so bad in certain categories:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  28. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

29. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Yeah, they did well - as an overall brand. Their other cars meet or exceed benchmarks in the industry in terms of quality, economy and value. But this particular car, built to undercut the Lexus LS and BMW 7 Series, is more of a three-baser than a home run.

30. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

Not specifically about the Equus, but...

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=628&sid=2353216