Is Miki a threat to either Akiko or Kanako for an Olympic spot?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by olympic, Sep 28, 2013.

1. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

It seems unduly harsh of the Japanese Fed to stipulate that Miki has to win Gold at Nationals for a spot on Olympic team. Then again, re Yukari, it seemed quite unfair that Miki was chosen for that Olympic team when Yukari was beating her all season long. I don't want the see Miki get an easy ride at someone else's expense, nor do I want her to be given unfair and unrealistic requirements. Will they ever evaluate her fairly?

To answer the OP's question, NO, she most likely won't be on that Olympic team if she has to win Nationals to qualify. To me, it's fathomable that she could beat Mao since Mao has had her bad days before, but highly unlikely that she'd beat Suzuki and Murakami as well all in one competition.

2. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

The Japanese Federation has used a system based on several performances over time for the non-winning berths since at least 2006. Since Miki has a minimal sample of performances, at some level, it is fair that she has to earn the one guaranteed spot by winning. However, it would be ridiculous if she did not get named to the team if Miki and Mao both performed World Medal Level performances and Mao won by subjective criteria, that is they had comparable TES Base so GOEs and PCS were the determining factor.

3. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Um, she had a baby six months ago. I don't think anyone thinks she can beat Akiko or Kanako in her present state. But many folks are very impressed with how quickly she has progressed since childbirth and are projecting her to be much better by the time Nationals rolls around.

4. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

If anyone gets bumped for Miki, I hope it's Akiko. I've secretly harbored an irrational grudge against her for swooping in and taking Yukari Nakano's presumed Olympic spot from her in 2010 and doing it by only .17 points. :lol:

5. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Meanie. :lol: How could anyone harbor a grudge against the charming, gracious, courageous Akiko?

6. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Poor Nakano. I really wish she had gone to Vancouver instead of Suzuki. Suzuki wasnt competitive there as we saw. She couldnt even beat Flatt who had 2 downgrades, despite skating her best in both programs.

7. mikeko

mikeko Member

Yes. We all have seen how much JSF hates Suzuki. You just need to remember NHK from last year. That's the same organization that sent Ando to Turin, instead of Nakano.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

8. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm happy they sent Suzuki. Her LP performance was probably one of the highlights of the entire figure skating portion of the games. Who cares about results when we saw such an inspired performance. Shame they couldn't send both Nakano and Suzuki and left Ando home. Don't forget that Suzuki had a wonderful GP Series going into the games winning Cup of China and a bronze at the Grand Prix Final with a score of 174.00. It's not whether Suzuki could have been more competitive, but if Nakano could have been more competitive. We'll never know for sure and she may have surpassed Suzuki's placements (with her beautiful spins), but there wasn't anything to indicate she would have based on the GP series. What really hurt Nakano was losing to Suzuki at Japanese Nationals.

Maybe Suzuki's Olympic experience was what she needed to now being a spoiler for a medal now (spoiler not favorite). She won the bronze medal at 2012 Worlds, and although she bombed Worlds in 2013, the rest of her season was great and she capped it off by having the highest Ladies score at WTT after Worlds.

9. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

Of course Akiko had a great GP in 2010. That's why she got the nod after finishing ahead of Nakano by a mere .17 points. Had she not done well on the GP, she probably would have remained home. I just felt horrible for Nakano who went to three worlds in a row, did the whole GP for four years and missed the Olympics - again. While Akiko didn't have that resume. If Akiko loses to someone who has a late surge in 2013-14, it'll be kinda like karma, and I don't mean that in a mean way. All that said, I'm actually cheering for Akiko to make the team this quad. Four years ago though, my heart broke for Nakano and I resented Akiko. :lol:

10. mikeko

mikeko Member

JSF tried really hard to send Nakano to Vancouver, though, not because they liked her but because they were heaviliy criticized for sacrificing her to send Ando to Turin. When Mr. Nagakubo, Suzuki's coach saw the judge panel at 2009 Nationals, he thought she was going to lose. Suzuki should not have won by 0.17, but by at least five points.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  11. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

:confused:

Anyways, I wish the Sochi team selection will go fairly. Hope JSF doesn't change the rules they've already decided nor makes any special path for anyone.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  12. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

Have we seen Akiko or Manako this season yet?

I doubt Miki will be a threat, she is in good shape for someone who has just had a baby, but not for an elite athlete.
    This is elite figure skating, not new mothers skating.

13. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I think some people are predicting or see a possibility that Ando will improve significantly come Nationals and that Akiko will bomb.

14. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Imagine what it felt like for all those at Nebelhorn that were outperformed by a 6 month postpartum women.

15. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Which given Akiko's history isnt that unlikely a prediction sadly. I still think it will be the expected trio at the Games though.

16. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I wanted to resurrect this thread.

In light of Murakami's and Suzuki's recent performances, have Ando's chances improved / stayed the same?

17. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

I could see her overtaking Murakami at Nationals if she pulls it together and Murakami doesn't, but I'm not so sure about her finishing ahead of Suzuki. We'll see, though.

18. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

Yeah it depends how Murakami skates. Murakami would have to struggle while Ando would have to be in tip top shape. Regardless, I think it's clear based on PCS alone that Akiko will not be overtaken by Ando, from what we've seen so far at least.

Mao is the clear No.1, Akiko is the clear No. 2 then there is a large gap between her and Murakami, with Ando sneaking up there with a few other JPN ladies.

19. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Well, Murakami might be a little more insecure after her GP outings.

20. Blondie12

Blondie12 New Member

Japan considers Grand Prix results. Akiko has the potential to medal on Sochi, maybe bronze. I don't think Miki would medal, first bc she has not built up the rep w her new program nor has she ever tested it on intl judges. And second, Miki was always a jumper, she did not have that beauty and elegance we see of Akiko, Julia, Carolina.... If there was one of Julia or Yuna to beat, maybe she could beat them, but there are too many who have BOTH the technical content and the PCS. Giving it to Miki would be essentially to allow her to give her swan song at the Olympics, whereas if they send Murakami, or Miyahama, they are looking for the next quad. Akiko and Mao will retire this year, they need a new star

Really, do you send the past star who does not really have a chance of medaling and get the gigantic (and distracting) media publicity of how a women can come back and make the Olympic team a year after a baby (and the media will be all over that story as it is amazing) or do you send someone an try to develop them into the next Mao?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  21. Blondie12

Blondie12 New Member

Akiko did great on the Grand Prix, she is first alternate for the final and ties with Elena and Carolina for points. I don't see how Japan cannot send her to Sochi.

22. cbd1235

cbd1235 Active Member

imo JPN has no amazing choice to send as a No.3 in terms of developing a next generation skater.

Satoko Miyahara has AWFUL jump technique and will go the way of Risa Shoji within a season or two unless she overhauls everything about her jumping. Risa had similar poor technique but even hers was not nearly as poor as Satoko's (at least with everything below flip, Risa had a weaker flip and lutz). Now Risa can hardly rotate a single triple.

The top JPN ladies other than the top 3 as we know them don't have star power. Kanako Murakami is the 3rd lady, but she certainly cannot be developed into another Mao, again a result of poor (in a different way) jump technique. She is certainly looking to the best, however. She can put out strong skates though, and is a very pleasant skater. So what do they do? Do they send Kanako or do they send the media story Ando? In terms of scoring Murakami has better potential, and she proved herself at worlds last year.

23. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

I think Mao and Akiko are locks for Sochi, based on their GP performances. The 3rd spot is wide open. Murakami, Imai, Ando and may be Miyahara can compete for it. Right now I give the edge to Murakami but if Miki skates lights out at the nationals, and Murakami does so so, it will be tough for the JF to deny Miki a spot, but who knows what criteria they are gong to use?

24. rosewood

rosewood Wheeee! Wonder babies!

Based on the results of this weekend, my prediction for Sochi team goes to Mao, Akiko and Kanako. The only one who has the potential to beat Kanako is Satoko. ;)

25. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think she's a threat to Kanako after seeing the way Kanako skated in the SP at Rostelecom. Akiko is a bit inconsistent so yes, she is a threat to her too. I think the only one who is safe "from" Miki is Mao.

26. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Ando just lost by about 16 points to a skater who is only about the 5th or 6th best skater in the US. Not good for a former World champion.

27. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Ando scored a total of 150 points at Ice Challenge, which would have placed her 10th at 2013 Japanese Nationals. She might be competitive in some European countries, but certainly not in Japan.

28. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

At this point I would say she has no hope. Even if the big 3 are broken up (unlikely as Japan considers more than just Nationals results) it wont ever be Miki doing it. I see something from 8th-12th at her final Nationals and a wave goodbye, but brave of her to even try this comeback.

29. Mirai4life

Mirai4life New Member

No, she's not a threat.

30. all_empty

all_empty Well-Known Member

Miki is a good competitor.

She completely omitted a jumping pass in the free and missed out on some combos.

She could've easily scored 10 points higher if the last two passes were clean.

I give her lots of credit for going for the Olympics, especially given the other obvious priorities in her life and all the fan/media scrutiny.

She's got tons of experience...don't count her out.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013