Is mens event at Games now wide open with Lysacek and probably Plushenko out

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by KimGOAT, Jan 14, 2014.

1. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Earlier this year people were predicting the mens Olympic Gold to be a battle between Lysacek and Plushenko, just like 2010, with Chan the other major contender. Now with 1 of the 3 major favorites (Evan) and possibly a 2nd (Evgeny) out does this leave it much more wide open. Chan now becomes the heavy favorite with his 2 biggest rivals probably not there, but it opens the chances for others to possibly medal or even win as well.

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

They were?

I don't think it is that open. I think it is Patrick vs. Hanyu, with Takahashi as the potential spoiler. I never though Lysacek or Plushenko would be factors even if they showed up.

3. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

I agree.

4. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Who thought the Gold medal was going to be between Evan and Plushenko and Chan? Neither skater has competed against Chan since 2010 and were never in the mix.

5. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I don't see Takahashi as the spoiler. He was never a strong jumper and now he has injuries. Jeremy Abbott could be if he skates two perfect programs and Chan & Hanyu make more than 2 mistakes each in the LP and at least one mistake in the SP.

I will be thrilled if Takahashi or Abbott (the two old men) win the OGM but I am OK with either Chan or Hanyu winning too.

6. Skittl1321

Okay- I'll agree with this.

But, basically, it comes down to "the men's bronze medal is wide open". It is HIGHLY unlikely anyone but Patrick or Hanyu will get Gold.

I'm really looking forward to hearing from whomever thought Gold was between Lysacek and Plushenko.

7. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Probably only the OP. :)

I think Chan will win at least a silver. I don't see him dropping below that. I think Hanyu may be a gold or bronze type situation, depending on how he skates. I don't believe his mistakes will be forgiven that much (although he did win the GPF despite a fall on 4S, which he needs to dump).

Basically the silver & bronze medals are wide open. For Gold I would say 80% Chan, 10% Hanyu, 5% Abbott, and 5% everyone else.

8. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

wow, it's the electronic version of a time capsule! :rofl:

Welcome to 2014, KimGOAT. Things have changed a lot since you've been gone.

9. Holy Headband

Holy Headband New Member

I agree that based on the way the season has gone the gold should be decided between Patrick and Yuzuru, with Patrick having the advantage, and that it was never a realistic target for Plushenko or Lysacek (lol), but at the same time I caution people not to say things like "it is highly unlikely that anyone else will get it"... This isn't ice dance but singles; the potential for upsets, implosions and surprises should always be factored in.

10. Skittl1321

Highly unlikely still leaves room for other outcomes.

11. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Oh gawd, for a second I thought something happened to Patrick. Whew!!

12. shady82

shady82 New Member

lolwhut

13. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

Dunno if you've heard of him, but there's this one guy, Patrick Chan, who has won three World championships in the past few years... He's kind of been a favorite to win for a while, even without Lysacek and Plushenko.

14. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Now all gold hype belongs to Jason brown.

15. usova94gold

usova94gold Member

I agree with those. Right now I think Abbott is the favorite to medal along with Chan and Hanyu, and the 3rd best chance at gold just behind them.

16. usova94gold

usova94gold Member

OP noted Chan as a favorite all along, along with Lysacek and Plushenko.

17. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

This is the original post

Please see the bolded portion. Chan is the heavy favorite, as per the OP. Although I never thought of Lysacek or Plushenko as a OGM favorite in Sochi, I can see why the OP did not label him as the only favorite, but rather one of the favorites and a heavy favorite.

18. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

LOL! I was going to post something similar to this, but you said everything I was thinking. :p

19. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

More importantly, is the mens' field wide open now that both Orser and Boitano are out of the closet?

20. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

Have you all forgotten the Canadian Men's Olympic Curse????

21. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Boitano and Orser should announce a comeback as "surprise entries" just to keep everyone on their toes.

22. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Who says Plushenko is out? I don't think Russia has named its team yet has they?

23. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

That would depend on which "mens' field" you're talking about...

24. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I bet they name a skater who is skating publicly and not secretly- so kovtun or even voronov or menshov!

25. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

LOL
    With Patrick Chan, Yuzuru Hanyu and Daisuke Takahashi, I don't see the need to talk about Lysacek or Plushenko as locks for Gold medal... ;)

26. Jessiebanana

Jessiebanana Well-Known Member

I don' t even think most people, outside of delusional fans, even thought Evan was going to actually skate this season, let alone win anything.

Plushy, is well Plushy. I'm sure he believes he can still do so many things, but the rest of us have eyes.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    RFOS and (deleted member) like this.
  27. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

Was Lysacek ever in???

28. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

No.

29. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

If Kovtun doesnt pull up substantially at Europeans you probably will see Plushenko at the Games. It wont be competing for a gold medal though (well maybe in the Team event).

30. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

Kovtun was 4th in the short program today with Voronov 2nd and Verner 3rd to Fernandez. Saturday's lp will be the day of reckoning....
    I think even Plushy actually realizes he would not be a threat for gold, and in fact just wants to compete at his 4th Olympics. With an extraordinary amount of luck maybe come in 3rd.