Is Manti Te'o victim of hoax?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Cachoo, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Oh that is disgusting: I wonder if the university is in full CYA mode.

2. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I saw the game that he played that weekend of the double tragic deaths. They interviewed him after the win and I couldn't believe how calm he was and really unemotional. I thought it was strange at the time, but since I don't follow ND football I wasn't aware of the guy or how he typically reacts to things. I wonder how much of the story influenced the Heisman voters to have him up for the award in the first place.

3. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

A little humor.

The dead girlfriend story via Korean animation.

A fark thread courtesy of LSU football fans. Be warned that some are pretty crude. However, The Usual Suspects fark on page two is brilliant.

A couple of funny Te'o-related tweets.

And a HuffPo article about the Donald Trump/Deadspin twitter exchange that is censored in the prior thread (with the full tweet).

4. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

First...you gotta love Deadspin's response to the Donald. But I love the LSU thread most of all with "Manti and the Real Girl" and "Memen teo." Great stuff.

5. mkats

mkats New Member

:rofl: Just wanted to specify that it's in Chinese, not Korean, though. By the looks of it, it seems to be the same people who made the infamous Tiger Woods video where he tried to drive away in a mini-van while Elin was beating the rear window with a golf club :lol:

6. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

It's a Taiwanese company, and they do an over-the-top animated bit for everything that's newsworthy now. The one for Kimye's baby was a little bit toooo over-the-top! :yikes:

I subscribe to their YouTube channel. :)

7. reckless

Sorry about getting the nationality of that video wrong. The link I followed said Korean and I didn't see anything on the actual YouTube page that said otherwise.

Just to add, because I couldn't resist: eHarmony: Manti and Lennay :rofl:

8. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Oh that is wickedly funny. I hope this person who is getting all of the blame sits down for an interview sometime.

9. mkats

mkats New Member

No worries! :)

:lol:

10. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

The SNL code open (It's after the Lance Armstrong bit) :lol:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/447653

11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Manti Teo is putting all the blame on his friend and two other people. I still don't buy it. He does admit that he lied about meeting her because he knew it was weird to have a gf that you never met. I think his friend is willing to take the blame for now, especially with the draft coming up. The truth will eventually come out. Probably shortly after the draft.

12. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

What about Hawaiians isn't awesomely gay? You have all those rainbows, Don Ho, hula dances and even a phallic rock.

13. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

Agreed - I think Tuaisosopo is falling on his sword in the name of Manti. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he was paid or promised hush money to take the fall.

14. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

If he really fell for this hoax, I think he is too stupid to learn an NFL play book

15. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Or to have a degree from Notre Dame. Which he has. There's the matter that needs investigated!

16. heckles

heckles Well-Known Member

Good thing he chose ND over his second choice, BYU. The latter could yank his degree for admitting being gay, which is probably where this one is headed.

17. reckless

BYU pulled his offer after his recruiting visit. Manti's dad claimed he dropped BYU, but most reports were that he was involved in an alcohol-related fight. The school couldn't say anything because it is a recruiting violation to publicly discuss a recruit. However, there clearly was an incident involving alcohol, because the BYU coach confirmed that some players on the team were disciplined for violating the BYU honor code over alcohol the following week.

The general point is still well-taken. Even more absurd is that fact that Te'o was a first-team Academic All-American and a National Football Foundation Scholar Athlete this year.

18. PDilemma

Honestly, I don't really think this is a cover for being gay. He didn't need one that badly. He was a supposedly conservative and devout Mormon on a Catholic campus. It would have been more than easy to say he wasn't dating because there was no one of his faith to date. In addition to that, several media outlets have reports that he was dating someone in real life shortly after his pretend girlfriend "died" (which he also said in the interview he gave Friday) and that teammates have said he was seeing multiple women on campus while supposedly dating the pretend girl.

At this point, I think he was initially hoaxed and then ran with the story because it gave him positive publicity. The question may very well be when did he know and how much lying did he do. We know he lied quite a bit as he has admitted that he made up stories that they actually met and embellished the relationship's length and seriousness.

19. Jem X

Jem X Merry Christmas!

20. PDilemma

So Tuisasopa is going to be on Dr. Phil. I think if anyone is in the closet in this saga it is him.

21. Jem X

Jem X Merry Christmas!

I guess thats what he's gonna say, that he is gay and Manti isn't

22. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

If his story is true then clearly he is gay. However, I still think its all a cover for Manti while the draft is nearing. He will probably pay them off to keep quiet after the draft. I'll never believe Manti wasn't involved.

23. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I agree with you. What a mess too.