Is Manti Te'o victim of hoax?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Cachoo, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

"Manti Te’o’s Dead Girlfriend, The Most Heartbreaking And Inspirational Story Of The College Football Season, Is A Hoax"
    http://deadspin.com/5976517/ma...dium=socialflow

Is Manti Te'o a victim or is he in on the hoax? The story is truly bizarre and makes me think of the film "Catfish."

2. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I'm thinking he concocted the story for publicity. Dead loved one is a guarantee of attention with the sports media. He told the press a story about meeting her and his parents told press that she visited Hawaii, now it was suddenly an online only relationship.

3. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I like Deadspin's feature but it is so convoluted it is hard to know what happened when. I see now the Notre Dame is calling him a victim. I guess they don't want to believe the alternative.

4. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I have a hard time believing that he didn't know about this. But wow, is it an interesting story!

5. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

This is the most interesting thing about college football, ever. :p

I'd be shocked if he wasn't in on it. It stinks of a publicity stunt.

6. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

He had to be in on it with his friend. I don't buy this victim BS at all. The truth will come out one way or another.

7. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

You know KU had a basketball player who lost his mom, grandfather and grandmother within six weeks one winter and I'd never wish that sort of loss and sadness on anyone. If this kid and his family fabricated any of this it is really an ugly thing to do---I still hope he was a victim but it doesn't look that way.

8. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

There is no way he or his family didn't lie as part of the story, regardless of how it started.

Here are some quotes from the South Bend Tribune's original story in October:

So who told the Tribune writer about the first meeting? And was Brian Te'o lying about her visiting Hawaii? Was Manti Te'o lying to his father?

The South Bend Tribune has pulled the article from its site, but it was reprinted on other sites, including the Deseret News in Salt Lake.

Manti has always been a bit of a media creation. A lot of shady things went on during his recruitment and a lot of rumors still exist about what happened while he was at BYU for his official visit. Plus, Dad has always been big on orchestrating hype.

9. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

That sinking sound you heard was his draft stock further dropping...as if his anemic performance in the National Title game didn't give NFL general managers enough reason to stay away.

I just can't understand why people think they won't eventually get caught in their BIG FAT LIE!!! :wall:

10. CynicElle

CynicElle Well-Known Member

I don't believe for a second that Manti wasn't in on this. But I do love a good identity hoax when they start falling apart, so :watch:.

11. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I'm worried about this kid's mental health. Also, someone who has a healthy grasp of their own sexual identity wouldn't really engage in this fake long distance gf thing for any reason, or at least I can't imagine they would.

So I hope he gets lots of compassion in the next few months because I think I know where this is headed.

12. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Parts of the original article about their meeting sound like they were written by a 16-year old girl with a celebrity crush. "extended his hand to the stranger with a warm smile and soulful eyes", "separate sunsets". For realsises?

13. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Yeah I thought of that too. This whole story is just plain WIERD.

14. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

The guys at the basketball board that I like have all decided that he needed a girlfriend because he is a closeted gay man who is going to a not so gay-friendly team in the NFL. I think that is a stretch but I'm so flummoxed as to why one would invent something like this.

15. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

Except how would he know back in September which NFL team he would be going to? The Bills are projected to take him (shudder), and no one knew they'd be drafting in the 8th position back then. But otherwise, the gay theory is something that's been floating around in the article comments.

16. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

This story is so bizarre on so many levels. If he was in on it, it's the most cynical, arrogant move by a top college player that I've ever seen. If this was done as a cover for his being gay, he went about this the hard way. All he'd need to do is find a co-ed and date her publicly a few times and he'd get a pass. It's not like he'd have trouble finding co-ed's who'd go out with him. But I don't think we know the whole story yet.

BTW, Notre Dame ought to keep their collective mouth shut till this plays out. If they aren't 100% accurate in what they say, they'll look stupid and complicit in a cover-up.

And yes, no matter how this turns out, Manti has cost himself millions.

17. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Would a Mormon co-ed be easy to find at a Catholic uni like Notre Dame? I agree bizarre is the best description of the situation...

18. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I think their thinking is that no team is gay-friendly (though some players would be ok with it) but KHenry14 is right: There are other ways to do this. I want to wait until everything totally unravels so we are able to see exactly when this hoax first surfaced. Indeed it is interesting: Sad but interesting.

19. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure he'd have to date. Just post a few instagrams with the same pretty coed, make no comment about the relationship. His dad sounds like a real stage parent though.

http://deadspin.com/5975416/manti-t...printed-a-picture-of-his-son-missing-a-tackle

20. zippy

zippy Active Member

Well, if he was bamboozled by a twitter account for 3 years, at least that sheds some light as to why he fell so hard for the play action pass on Jan. 7...

kidding, sort of. I'd feel terrible for the guy if the gay theory turned out to be true, but that seems like just wild speculation at this point. Supposedly some 'anonymous ND players' (although who knows who's making what up, at this point) have said it was common knowledge that Te'o had several other relationships with girls on campus around the time of the fake girl's fake death, and that they knew it was a hoax by October. Which makes it sound like it was drummed up and wildly embellished for Heisman purposes. On the other hand, maybe he really did get catfished (see the twitter accounts of @jayrahz and @ceeweezy51 who were joking about writing Manti fake love letters and resurrecting Lennay Kekua last month). They really ought to make a movie out of this :watch: :watch: :watch:

Coco and (deleted member) like this.
  21. duane

duane New Member

And I think the guys hit the nail on the head. I think all gay men have at one point used a similar fake girlfriend story as a cover. This one here is more extreme, but I guess a high-profile, closeted gay man heading to the NFL is a more extreme case. Having the fake girlfriend dying gives him many years to be without a girlfriend (he's still grieving the death of his soulmate) without raising questions.

22. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Sorry, my vote is"tug on the Award voters" heart strings. A fake girlfriend is one thing. A heart tugging story was a 'see how good I played in spite of the sadness, vote for me'.

23. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

The problem with the hoax theory is that there are enough statements that indicate Manti and his family lied in some fashion along the way. Now, even if you accept he was bamboozled at first, someone lied in October when the story gained traction and the South Bend Tribune article came out. Perhaps it was that Manti didn't want to admit that he had never met the girl, so they made up the story about meeting at Stanford, but that is still a lie. Or perhaps it was a lie all along, which I think this suggests is the case. On July 21, Manti sent the following tweet to "Lennay" about her fried chicken dinner:

Now this is supposedly the love of his life, but he is calling her "punk"? And I believe this is when she is supposed to be in the hospital with leukemia, since she was in the hospital for four months before dying. That sounds a lot more like something he would send to a guy.

Leaping into the realm of complete speculation, I wouldn't be surprised if Manti is gay and concocted the girlfriend story as a cover. So he had his buddy in California send some fake tweets and make a few calls so it seemed legit, and when the team played at Stanford, he would ask the players there if they knew her. Then word got to his parents and he gave them a song-and-dance. The lie kind of built up. Then, for some reason, there were plans for her to attend senior day at Notre Dame, so she had to be eliminated before then and, for some silly reason (or maybe for publicity), Manti and his buddy decided she should die. But that only ballooned into a bigger story and then he was stuck.

24. PDilemma

25. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

That article sums it up for me: Thanks for posting it.

reckless if your speculation turns out to be true then if I were Manti the first thing I'd do is apologize, come out and be honest with folks about his concerns about being a gay player in the NFL. I think--in the end--he will be more respected and accepted for being truthful. If this was only about getting Heisman votes then he and his father are slimeballs. Or the final possibility is that he was a victim of a hoax but I think the news reports posted suggest this is not the case.

26. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

yes it is by far, i cant wait for the lifetime movie

27. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

He might not be gay, but he could play it off as a bad joke that snowballed and be sincerely sorry. I agree it is better to cut your losses as early as possible, instead of having it blow up in his face when he down the road makes some other mis step

28. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

If this was Manti just trying to get Heisman votes and big commercial endorsements then he is almost as slimy as Madoff imo. I am really bothered that the dying girlfriend and grandmother were such big stories all semester long and NO ONE appears to have done any fact checking about the girlfriend.

29. PDilemma

This tidbit is really disgusting, too:

http://www.therepublic.com/view/sto...5cf15f2c8a71a1/FBC--Notre-Dame-Teo-Fundraiser

This cancer fundraiser was done with the cooperation of the University AFTER officials were aware that the girl never existed.

As to fact checking, it appears that reporters did. Pete Thamel at SI admits to being unable to find an obituary, funeral notice or records of her attending Stanford and running the story anyway. An ESPN reporter checked for a funeral notice or obituary and asked for contact info for the family. He accepted the explanation that the family wanted privacy and the network ran the story. Trammel's account is up at SI's website along with a confusing transcript of his interview with Te'o this fall. At one point, Thamel actually says "this is unbelievable" in response to the story.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  30. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

It keeps getting better and better! SNL is going to have a blast with this.