Is Jeffrey Buttle Out as Gay?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by TheIronLady, May 5, 2013.

1. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I apologize if I missed out on prior news, but I do not believe I have ever read anything official about Jeff Buttle's personal life. Is he single or is this all just very private?

Incidentally he is looking quite attactive. Life as a choreographer is suiting him well.

Jeff Buttle Pic

2. dorianhotel

dorianhotel Member

Maybe he isnt gay. Some guys are metrosexual without being gay.

3. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

5. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

So much for your metrosexual nonsense Dorian. If you believe Jeffrey could be straight you might want to work on your gaydar.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  6. dorianhotel

dorianhotel Member

Well lots of straight mens are quite metrosexual. Just like lots of gay men are butch. It isnt always as black and blue as people seem. I figured if Buttle were outed it would have been way bigger news. I am surprised it happened so quietly.

7. stevlin

stevlin Member

Gay or not, Jeff is adorable. Fab skater too.

8. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

Who cares?

9. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Anyone considering asking him out. :p

UMBS Go Blue, Rex, kosjenka and 5 others like this.
  10. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

I respect Buttle irrespective whether he's gay or not gay. He's not only an excellent skater, he has shown incredible talent in choreography. His recent work with Canadian SOI and his choreographies he did for some skaters, clearly point to this man's creativity and a choreographer on the rise. Oh of course to top it all, he's very good looking with immense boyish charm. :D He's also being described as 'a very good human being'. :)

11. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I'd hit it.

12. NorthernDancers

NorthernDancers New Member

Um... I know this is the Trash Can, but why exactly should this even be a topic for discussion? Not sure why we should care what any skater's sexual orientation might be - gay or straight?

13. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Haha....this reminds me of a joke the entertainer, Peter Allen once told at one of his concerts where he was constantly asked, "Is he or isn't he?" and he would reply, "Yes, I am....Australian."

Although a couple of my friends are obsessed with skaters and their private lives, I guess I just enjoy the skaters only for what they do out on the ice.

14. syed

syed New Member

What year is this?

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I thought you were married.
    Let Jeff give to the needy, not to the greedy! :p

TheIronLady, Southpaw, jamesy and 3 others like this.
  16. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

Yes to this!

17. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

18. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Level 4 and +3 GOE, robinhood! :lol: Do you also happen to have a fetish about stealing from the rich and giving to the poor?

Not only is this subject stale and old, it's NOT news, and neither is it relevant to anything, unless you were somehow interested TheIronLady in giving smokin' hot Jeffrey a Call Maybe! ;)

There are a lot of gay people in the sport of figure skating, just as there are a lot of gay people in the world. Go figure. Yeah, it's interesting and tempting to many re wanting to find out about people's private goings-on, and the sexual preferences of guys in figure skating has always been gossiped about. But ya know, in these more progressive and enlightened days of the 21st century, especially in the wake of Johnny Weir's out-sized in-your-face "I AM WHO I AM, DEAL WITH IT!", gossiping publicly about who is gay or not might still be titillating to some, but it just isn't all that interesting or profound or relevant, especially when the person in question is already living his life proudly and openly. People don't hide in their closet anymore, they invite the whole world inside to examine their designer labels. :lol:

H*ll, lots of young people are even posting on youtube about going through gender identity crises and sex change exploration. Not that gender crises has anything to do with gay figure skaters, aside from the fact that maybe we all should practice being more open-minded and accepting of each other and maybe less nosy and maybe more respectful, and maybe understanding of the fact that labels, gender, looks, sexual preferences, etc., have not much to do with the essence of who we really are as human beings.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  19. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I like and respect Johnny Weir. He undertook to who he really is.

20. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

I read the article from Sylvia's link. It taught me 2 things.

1) Jeff is openly gay.
    2) Jeff was world champion in 2005. :confused:

21. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I know this can easily be interpreted as gossip but I really don't have an issue with people asking if someone's gay or not if it really is a "just like to know" issue.

To me it's the same thing as if someone asks is Jeff a natural blond. Does it matter? No. Is it a irrelevant and disrespectful? Not to me.

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  22. CanuckSk8r

CanuckSk8r New Member

I always wonder why people have to come out as gay, it makes me wonder if I am supposed to come out as straight.

I don't care what anyone does in their bedroom. Nor would I think anyone should be interested in what happens in mine.

What I do find interesting is what can be answered by an Internet search, a search on this board, has a thread started instead. Just makes me wonder - what if he wasn't out and you just outed him on a public forum? YMMV

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I find it so offensive when people talk about how gay people don't deserve to be open about who they are. Like they prefer when "all those gays were not seen and not heard". (Some) straight people take it for granted that they can be 100% open about who they are...anywhere...anytime. People sound shockingly ignorant at times. :mad:

:rolleyes: As heterosexuals are not an oppressed group, there has never been any need for them to go into the closet. So there is nothing for them to come out of.

24. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to PeterG again.

25. maladiegrande

maladiegrande New Member

I don't mean this as an attack, so don't take it personally, but I'm always confused at comments like these. Of course straight people don't have to come out. Because society assumes they're straight (most people are). How people view your sexuality affects SO MUCH about how they interact with you and how you're treated in day to day life.

Gay people who come out may just want to be treated like everyone else. Maybe they want people of the opposite sex to stop hitting on them, maybe it's hard for them to find a partner while being closeted. Maybe they're tired of living a lie and having people set them up on dates (anyone past 16 in this society who isn't dating is already sending up red flags everywhere and probably having their friends and family question them). Maybe they want to have the same trivial conversations everyone else does about how so and so actor is cute. It varies from the mundane to the crucial.

And why does it always have to boil down to sex? Yes, orientation has to do with sexual preference, but do we call it sex talk when a girl talks to her girlfriend about her crush? Does it always have to automatically be so perverted that a gay person wants to be honest about their feelings? If someone was loudly talking about their sex life then that's a different matter..

Just like we don't live in a post-racial world, we also don't live in one where sexuality has ceased to matter. If anything, it matters a whole freaking lot to some people in certain circumstances (those with partners who are dying in the hospital but don't have visitation rights, or those whose partners have already died and want to collect their ashes or belongings). It all boils down to privilege and conditioning. All too often, the people who say everyone should "keep it in the bedroom" are just mortified at having to deal with anything homosexual period, whether it's a character on a sitcom or an acquaintance from the office. Any discomfort they feel is honestly trivial compared to the barrage that actual gay people get from the hetero-normative media and society, but their privilege prevents them from seeing this.

antmanb, skateboy, FunnyBut and 15 others like this.
  26. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

If it's any consolation, I just acted in your stead.

Also: Great post, maladiegrande.

27. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Thanks Peter for addressing that. I share your sentiment completely.

28. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

:respec:

29. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks falling_dance!

30. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

PeterG and maladiegrand totally hit it out of the park with their responses.