Is it possible to have too much blade?

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by antmanb, Dec 5, 2012.

1. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think about maybe getting some new boots and blades. I've absolutely loved my Reidells and want to get exactly the same boot that i've been in as the break in time was practically nil and they've served me well for many years. Obviously I'm well aware that you can buy too much boot as an adult recreational skater but I was wondering if you can buy too much blade?

I'm due a bonus at work so i feel justified in splurging on myself particularly if it involves skating but i was wondering if swapping my Coronation Aces for say Gold Seal Revolutions would be a really bad move. I like the idea of having lighter blades and liked what i have read about them, but wonder if it is too much blade for me (and if such a thing is possible?). I realise the rocker and radius are quite different between the two blades so I expect getting used to the new blades might take a while.

Thoughts much appreciated.

2. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

What elements are you working on?

3. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Perhaps. When I was about Adult Silver level, I went from Coronation Comet to Gold Seal and it was a big adjustment! My coach said "Gold Seals are a horse of a different color." It may not be "too much blade" for you, but it is just going to be a big adjustment. The rocker is a lot "rounder" so your spins really fly. The toe pick does not feel as "pronounced" so jumping, to me, was harder. Of course now, after years of use, I'm very accustomed to them and would not go down to another blade.

4. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

When we moved up in blade, it took over a month of skating (3+ times a week)for her spins to become centered again. Finding that "oily spot" was really hard because it is so much smaller. Spins were her strong suit and to really lose them was hard for me to watch (I feel so badly for her!). If you are the sort of skater who would be discouraged by going backwards in skill, I would be hesitant.

She wasn't discouraged though and told me that her back camel is so much better now with the new blades and that there are many parts of her footwork that are easier on the new blades.

5. antmanb

Well I've had a couple of years of regression due to weight gain, but I've shifted most of that weight gain and jumps wise I'm landing my singles up through to Flip. I'm working on Lutz and am close to getting it. Before the weight gain i was attempting (but not really close on them) axels and hope to start work on them again once my weight and jumps settle down again.

On spins I've got forward scratch, camel, and i'll call it an adult sit spin since it's not low enough to get called a sit spin, but hopefully having lost weight i'll get that down lower now my belly doesn't get in the way :lol: My back spins are kind of crappy they've never really clicked but i try to work on upright, camel and sit with varying degrees of (lack of) success.

MIF - I haven't and don't really intend to test so I don't really know what level i'd say i'm at but another adult who has lesson from my coach is working on her NISA level 3 moves, and they're all moves that i've done with my coach for a while and we have also worked on brackets, counters, choctaws, but they're all very much works in progress.

6. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I had Gold Seals for awhile (they came on the boots I bought) when I was Pre-Bronze. I loved them because I could turn so easily in them compared to the Ultima Mirage I had been on. It took me a long time to be able to spin in them, but once I could- it was fabulous. (I've found this to be true about all my blade transitions though.) But when it was time to buy new blades, I went back down to the $200 level. Honestly, I see very little difference.

For me, the issue with too much blade is the toe pick. Newer skaters are extremely apt to trip and scrape with too large of a toe pick.

If you are working on lutz, you'll be fine in them, but you'll also be spending a lot more money than you have to be.

7. carriecmu0503

carriecmu0503 Member

I have worked with several boot fitters who work with elite skaters, so I am going to go with the assumption that they know what they are talking about. My response to you is not meant to be harsh, but realistic. I am hoping to help you not waste your money on something that is not necessary. Gold seal blades are designed for high level skaters. As in, skaters doing triples and quads. There is no higher level blade than gold seal. They are NOT AT ALL designed for people doing single and double jumps. No ethical boot/ blade fitter would recommend gold seal blades unless/ until you are working on your double Axel. Buying those blades at your level will NOT Help your skating. Too often, I hear people say they buy them simply because they are "top of the line." Yes, there are, but they are meant for top of the line skaters. Please don't waste your money on blades you don't need. You would be better off spending the money on ice time and lesson time. If you do ever get to the point of working on a double Axel, you will then be able to grow into the blade that is meant to accommodate a skater at that level.

LilJen and (deleted member) like this.
  8. antmanb

Thanks for the input guys - it's much appreciated.

Sounds like it could well be money down the drain spending so much on the blades. I'm more curious than anything else to feel what the difference would be like. All the coachs at our rink swear by coronation aces and they certainly are enough blade to cover any of the jumps i'll ever likely land or even attempt :)

How do people feel about the parabolic blades? Does it feel very different to the normal blades?

9. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

My concern with top of the line blades would be finding a person who could sharpen them. The only "expert" sharpener in my area is semi- retired and is seldom available. I typically leave my skates with the local rink rats for sharpening. They do OK with my Legacy or Professional blades most of the time, but once in a great while I have to have them done over as someone clearly didn't know what they were doing and the blades have no rocker. I'd be really upset if someone did that to thousand dollar blades.

10. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

If Coronation Aces work for you, I'd recommend keeping them. They are really really really popular for skaters around your level, and I guess for a good reason :)

11. treesprite

treesprite Member

Are you talking about Mike in Waldorf?

12. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I think the consensus is, it is not too much blade (like having too stiff of a boot) - it's only an unnecessary expense, but still won't hurt you if you decided you like these blades. It's not going to make it harder for you to skate once you get used to them.

13. jamcan

jamcan New Member

ITA excellent advise!!! Not a thing wrong with Coronation Ace Blades. People have actually competed at a national level with them.

14. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I have Coronation Dance blades and before that Coronation Ace. Perfectly good blade which is not too expensive.