Is It Possible That Mao Has Competition

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by sk9tingfan, Mar 31, 2011.

1. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Denis Ten tweeted today:

@mirai_nagasu landed couple of nice triple axels today. ;)

Of course, I know that the next question/comment will be, "yes, but were they fully rotated". But it is something.
  2. TwisterSister

TwisterSister New Member

Nice! Go Mirai!
  3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I was just reminded that Mirai will not be at Worlds. :(
  4. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

5. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Harness or no harness? ;)
  6. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

I guess that we would have to ask Denis Ten who tweeted it. I wonder how Frank would feel about his doing so. :confused:
  7. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Frank Carroll directed Mirai to try a few 3A in a Nationals practice in Greensboro so it's not a secret that she's working on the jump. This is the time of year (beginning of the off season) to be working on the "big tricks."
    sk9tingfan and (deleted member) like this.
  8. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Mirai's 2a is really big and strong, and she has worked on the 3a in the past and it looked pretty close, so this news doesn't really surprise me. I'm really excited tho and hope some videos come out soon!
  9. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

How exciting! ANy other ladies doing it at the moment? Mao and Eliza are the only two that I know of, anyone else know of any other ladies doing it?
  10. Sayana_mnk

Sayana_mnk Member

It has been reported that Adelina Sotnikova has been practicing triple axels. Since Tuktamisheva has not yet performed a triple axel in international competition, one could say Sotnikova is on equal footing in that regard. It will be interesting to see which one of them can accomplish this feat first.
  11. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Just another lady skater supposedly doing triple axels in practice.
    whatelse is new?
  12. Ozzisk8tr

Mother always said if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything... :rolleyes:
    RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  13. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Consider the source... ;)

Anyway, I think it's great that Mirai and other young skaters are pushing themselves technically :)
  14. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

And even more interesting to see which of them can accomplish this, feet first :lol:.
  15. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

when Tiffany Chin was landing the 3x in training, was she under Frank or Mr Nicks at the time?
  16. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

I would love to see vids of THAT!! Thanks for the update. :D
    It's nice she's attempting them, but I hope she doesn't go for it in competition unless she's landing a very good percentage of them.

Back OT-of course Mao has competition-not the least of which are Yu-Na and the most consistent, winningest skater this season-Miki Ando!

I would love to see vids of THAT!! Thanks for the update. :D
    It's nice she's attempting them, but I hope she doesn't go for it in competition unless she's landing a high percentage of them!

Back OT-of course Mao has competition-not the least of which are Yu-Na and the most consistent, winningest skater this season-Miki Ando!

Party pooper! :violin:
    Well put. Nevermind the wet blankets at the party.There's always at least one! :lynch: :lol:

Doubting Tomasina! :lol:;)

Thank you for the update Denis Ten! I just love it when inside info gets out :sekret: She's not going to Worlds anyhow!

:cheer: Go Mirai!! :cheer2: :kickass:
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  17. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

I don't think anyone needs to hyperventilate over the (intentionally, I think) coy title. It's a playful bait-and-switch that brings in eyeballs ;).

The OP's meaning is: who among current ladies might join Mao in actually landing a triple axel in competition? :)
    skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  18. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

19. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Mao's air position is the best, in my opinion. She's up and BAM! Her feet are VERY neatly together the whole jump. Probably one reason she can rotate it.
  20. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

Midori is the queen! The height on her 3a and the distance it covers is incredible. It looks so easy for her, what a skater she was!

I really like Tonyas kind of straight entrance, and her height is also fab, sometimes she's a bit off in the air, but lands nicely.

The good-ole-technique is still the best!

Maos position in the air is to die for, gorgeous, but I'm not such a fan of her take off, she "sits down" too much. but those clips of a really tiny, young Mao....awwww! love her
  21. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

There's a big difference between doing a jump in practice and doing it in a program. Brian Orser, Brian Boitano, Jozef Sabotchik (SP?), Christopher Bowman could all do quads in practice.
  22. kirkbiggestfan

kirkbiggestfan Well-Known Member

A rotated 3A on 2 feet is worth much more than a clean 2A. Now that the ladies can do a single 3A in the SP, it has to be tempting to go for it.
  23. just wondering

just wondering Member

Tweet from Mirai:

mirai_nagasu @Tenis_Den they're still half a turn cheated lol!:)
  24. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

This quote in the article came from Elizaveta Tuktamisheva, not from Adelina Sotnikova. I was at that press conference, so I know for sure.
  25. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I agree with all of this, my ideal 3A would be Tonya's entrance with big "step up" into the jump, Midori's height and ice coverage with Mao's in air position.

Since we're not able to make a Frankenstien's triple axel i'd take Midori's especially the later ones with the wrap gone from the first rotation.
  26. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Mao's takeoffs are not attractive.
  27. berthesghost

True. I think the real impressive aspect of Mao's 3a is just how many years she been able to regularly pull it off. Only Midori could possibly challenge her in that aspect!
  28. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

It is, I'm so glad.
    Does the fact that Nagasu is after the off season benning big tricks (and not looking for a relocation) mean that Nagasu and Carroll are fine again?

Second that with an emphasis.

Unfortunately, I think it'd make quite a difference. So, I hope no harness.

Mao's position in the air is indeed to die for, and I don't mind her take off one bit: it's one of those times when actually seeing the effort is nice.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  29. floskate

floskate Vacant

Midori's is still the best for sure. I loved the ones she did between '89 and '92. The ones she did as a professional have a different timing to them and she wraps a bit more. Still they're amazing though. I don't think Mao's sitting on the edge so long is unnatractive but it is a little unorthodox. People always seem to bash her triple axel but I agree with Berthesghost, the most amazing thing is that she has been able to land them every year since the age of 12 :eek: Also impressive is the fact that she has kept this jump at all through all the major growth spurts she's had. Mao's is never going to look like Ito's or Harding's. She does it her way because of her build and strength to weight ratio. She is not muscular so had to find a different way of doing the jump. Nothing wrong with that at all IMO. At least she's still out there landing them. That compilation video shows just what an incredible achievement this jump is in ladies skating.
  30. pinky166

Mao was lucky her body didn't change much during puberty. I think she's about the same height and weight now as she was when she won the GPF in 2005, maybe like 1 inch taller and 5 lbs heavier, but it's really not a big change when you think of how drastic some peoples bodies change during puberty. That probably helped her keep her 3a over the years.

Mirai I think actually has a good build for 3a where she has broad shoulders and a strong upper body. The speed she carries into her jumps will also help her pull the jump off.
  31. floskate

floskate Vacant

I met Mao at TEB in 2005 and she was tiiiiny. Very slender but also very small. She has grown considerably since that time but mostly upwards. 1 inch taller and 5llbs heavier is waay off.
  32. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

33. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Bulanhagui's attempted a 3A the last 3 summers at the Liberty club competition (2007-2009). Even though her jump has been called < by the technical panel each time, I'm glad she's been going for it! I'm just waiting to see her attempt 3A in a competition besides Liberty now. :)

I like her honesty! :lol:
  34. SkateSkates

SkateSkates Member

35. pinky166

Mao is still very tiny. Felicia Zhang said on her formspring that when she met Mao at TEB this year, she was surprised that they were about the same size. http://www.formspring.me/feliciazhang
    She's barely taller and almost as skinny as Zijun Li http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/9f06dddd01.jpg who is itty bitty. Mao's keeping her 3a may have something to do with not really letting her body go through puberty, she still is built like a 14 year old. Last season didn't she have to lose like 3 kg to get that jump rotated or something? In any event, back to Mirai, I hope she doesn't go to any extreme or unhealthy measures to master the 3a. I sometimes wonder about Mao, she's been so focused on the 3a these past two seasons and has also become alarmingly thin.
  36. carrot

carrot Member

^^Mao seems to be the same size as Yu Na, judging from podium pictures. Could Zijun Li have been wearing skates but not Mao in that photo?
  37. Ozzisk8tr

Mao has always looked like she has to walk around in the shower to get wet. I don't see any significant weight loss over the last couple of years.
  38. SkateSkates

SkateSkates Member

Yes, Li is wearing skates. You can tell by the way they are standing - either that or Mao has VERY short legs, which she doesn't. I'd say Mao is about 5'4", slightly taller than Miki, but slightly shorter than Yuna.
  39. miki88

miki88 New Member

Mao is not slightly taller than ZiJun. IMO. She's considered tall for a lady skater. She was very thin as a junior skater, then gained a little weight during her mid-teens but then became very thin again, but she doesn't have the body of a 14 yr old. :rolleyes:
  40. berthesghost

It's amazing how we all can look at the same thing but see so many different things! I never in a million years would have guessed Mao hasn't grown since 2005, nor that she's tall for a skater. lol