Is fandom based strictly on skating?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by skateboy, Apr 22, 2012.

1. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Well put.

2. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Well, for Joubert I can say i used to really like his skating, but had expectation he would develop differently. He didnt, but is still kicking and skating there, he so nice to fans and he is just yummy to look at :D

I used to be a huge fan of another skater. I was a fan of his skills and style. having met him (2 uncomfortable encounters during one event) I lost the spark for him. I respect him and still think he is great skater, but I am not a fan and have a bitter aftertaste after watching him skate.
    I dont feel comfortable writing his name, because there is a good chance his fans would have my head off :D

3. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

We keep hearing about bad personal experiences, but we're not getting any specific information. Give us the dirt! They don't call it The Trash Can for nothing.

4. Jemestone

Jemestone New Member

^IKR. You don't even have to mention said skater's name, just give us the dirt!!!

5. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

well, this skater in particular complained in front of the arena about even coming to the event, on being persuaded/pushed by his federation. He was telling this to the fans, so I guess he said it to everyone. There was a lot of eye rolling and "i-dont-want-to-be-here" talk. And when you have fans who came all the way from Romania and Belarus after saving their student pocket money for 6 months just to see him (well not ONLY him, but him the most) skate live ... He wouldnt take pictures with people outside (in front of arena) when all the other skaters were doing it. I wasnt the one asking for picture because i was already annoyed.
    I did take a picture with Jouber and Valentina :) They were so cute together.

6. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I'm actually surprised that Joubert wasn't used more to market figure skating around the world. He could have been a huge star just because of his looks, and the fact that he can skate would help even more and could maybe get more coverage for FS.

7. mia joy

mia joy New Member

Joubert was totally a His Majesty at the 2007 Euros. Combine his best season with his gorgeous looks and you get people in such a skating power country as Poland :)rolleyes:) worship him like he was the Beatles (as said by one of the commentators). He was the total star number 1 of the event. Back then he could've been used as a great PR tool for FS for sure.

In fact, even today my female friends who don't follow skating, only watch occasionally at the Olys, name Plushenko and Joubert as the only figure skaters they know.

8. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

The only figure skater my mother knows is Nancy Kwan. :lol:

9. Made4Dancin

Made4Dancin New Member

It's a shame really. I get the feeling that they just took the decline in interest as a natural occurrence and didn't try to do anything about it. He was the right guy at the right time. I still hold out hope someone will come up with a new way to market that generation as pros especially here in the US. Lambiel was very popular after Vancouver as well. I remember him almost winning "Thin Ice" with Arakawa, but not being American, they made the phones break.

My mom does the same thing. :rofl:

10. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

With Joubert, they could have just had him do a few commercials with his shirt off and ratings would have doubled...

11. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Your comment really interests me because I have been watching figure skating since the mid-90's and I don't consider anyone in the sport to be anything of an A$$. I know that Stojko, Weiss, Sale, Joubert, Chan and Plushenko have been ragged on endlessly here at FSU, but I don't think things they've said compared to what's been said or done in other sports. I'm really surprised how threads can go on for pages and pages about something a skater has said, and to me the comment rates only a "big deal" in my book... :shuffle:

clarie and (deleted member) like this.
  12. dariko

dariko New Member

While I've heard commentators say that Evan is the hardest-working skater, I've never heard Evan say that about himself. If he did, it would change my opinion of him, that's for certain. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard any athlete in any sport say that about themselves. What athletes often say is "No one will outwork me" which is very different.

13. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Evan works harder than anyone else denying that he is the hardest-working skater out there. (KIDDING!!!!) :p

14. os168

os168 Active Member

Not really. Everyone's aptitude for appreciation is different...and thank goodness for that. Otherwise it would be really boring. As much as I appreciate Patrick Chan, I'd hate this board only feature fans of Patrick Chan because he 'apparently' has the best COP friendly skating skills among the men. It would be quite a nightmare actually!

I don't know why people get riled up by personality. The important thing is they 'MUST HAVE ONE'. I'd argue the lack of personality is what killing this sport. Artistic people should have personality and temperament, if they don't have one, how good can their art be? And if Plushy is American, how is he different than most US or even general Olympic Champions we saw this summer - so what's the big deal? :p

What did your mum think of David Bowie or Mick Jagger? Dai is more handsome than them both, and moves better too :swoon:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Fandom is based on pretty much everything other than the skating, I think. ;)

16. yaya124

yaya124 New Member

I need the following factors to be a fan:

1) the skating must move me, even if some of the movements are not perfect;

2) warm personality on and off ice. I can appreciate a skater with great skills but will never be a fan if something he/she does off-ice is not acceptable based on my own standard;

3) good looking definitely adds bonus point:D

17. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

The same- but replace #3 (good looking) with #3 attractive use of personality on social media

18. flipforsynchro

flipforsynchro New Member

No, based on skating Michal would be little to me. I love him because of his 3A, edges, and looks. And catchy music choices.

While on the other hand I love John Curry 100% because of his skating.

19. Skater91

Skater91 New Member

For me, It is not just based on skating. Some skaters I have met that have been nice and friendly I tend to enjoy watching them skate more.
    One particular skater that I have met, I used to like watching her skate till I met her in person. The way she acted was very rude and seem stuck up over some of her achievements. Now I don't like watching her skate and in a way I sort of feel bad because I don't want her to skate well any more to bring her back down to earth.

20. icenut84

icenut84 New Member

Interesting topic. For me, it seems to differ depending on the skater! Some skaters grab me instantly the first time I see them skate, some I love because I love their skills or their style, some I love because I think they're goofy/funny and have a great personality on the ice, some because they are truly great dancers etc. I also like people who really go for it and put their all into a performance, even if they're lower ranked.

One of my big favourites is Takahashi, mainly because I love his artistry, his dance ability and his expression. (Being gorgeous is a bonus.) He has the ability to skate to a piece of music I've never really liked (Blues for Klook) and make me love it, which IMO says a lot about a skater! His facial expressions during his best performances and the energy he puts into it, his quirky style, his unusual music choices - I love him. I always loved Stephane for the same reason - I love the way he moves and the quality of his programmes - he always had the transitions and choreographic content without looking like he was just point-getting.

Re: Patrick Chan, in all honesty he turned me off right from the start when he hadn't really achieved anything yet but was going around criticising people like Joubert (who was reigning WC) and making out like he was better than all the old champions. He just came across as so full of himself, it made me really dislike him. Then you had people describing him as the ultimate best skater EVAH and I just couldn't see it. I can appreciate his skating skills but his persona and his constant over-marking make me not like him that much. It's a shame because I probably wouldn't mind him so much if it was a level playing field (never in a million years should he have beaten Takahashi in the LP at 2012 worlds) - I actually quite liked his Take 5 SP. But in all honesty, it's not even just his persona why he's not my favourite - I prefer voidier skaters/programmes. His are a bit too safe IMO.

But then again, people criticise Plushenko for perceived arrogance too and I love Plushenko :) I saw him live for the first time at Euros this year and his aura, presence and ability to connect to the audience are really something to behold. I'd always heard about him having that quality but it is so tangible live IMO. I'm a fan of several of the other skaters who competed but in all honesty Plushenko just came across as being in a different league. Plus, I have major respect for not only his achievements but the way that he has got back to near his best after so much time away and so many injuries, and the fact that he is still trying to improve too (he didn't get enough credit for that IMO). His obvious love for the sport and perseverence/longevity are to be admired. And his LP at 2005 Euros is one of my favourite performances ever, because he just gave it 300%. I wish he'd skated like that at the 2006 Olympics.

Among the other men, I also like Fernandez a lot, and I love the goofiness and humour of Contesti and Preaubert. Skating programmes shouldn't all have to be serious and 'beautiful' - the guy from Monaco at Euros skated to Jungle Book and the audience loved it :)

Totmianina & Marinin are an interesting one too. I didn't like them at first (too cold and clinical, not enough spark) but they grew on me every season, even though they were never the type to show their emotions too much during a performance.

With the dancers, I definitely prefer voidy over 'we're so in love'-type programmes. But I can't stand the OTT facial expressions/theatrical O faces/scrunched up foreheads if they occur before the performance has even started - to me it comes across as pretentious and fake. I like innovators and those with real artistic sides (which is very different to just having good presentation).

On the whole, off-ice personality is less important to me than on-ice style and charisma, but obviously if I love someone's skating and they are a dude off-ice too, I may love them even more :)

21. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Member

Fandom for me is based more on how a skater moves me than how a skater impresses me.

If fandom was only for the skating, I'd go for other skaters than I actually do admire. In fact, to make me a fan, I must feel something special. Their skating must be interesting (rather than clean), exciting to look at (rather than love-story-ish), their appearances must be attention-drawing (rather than purely pretty). Plus, I go for those who struggle rather than for the all time winners. I try to read and watch as many interviews as possible and when a skater is honest and nice, I like them.

On the other hand, some of the greatest of the great - Torvill/Dean, Plushenko most of all - will always have my respect for their outstanding achievement in skating, but I've never been a real fan because I don't like their personalities.

22. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

These criteria basically sum it up for me.