Is Bradley retiring?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by jlai, Mar 27, 2010.

1. jlai

jlai Title-less

On twitter he said goodbye.

2. REO

REO New Member

Sad. I love him. He seems like such a great guy.

3. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

No one knows yet. My friend is a friend of his and she said she spoke with him (before Worlds) and he said he'd try for one more season. I guess the best bet at this point would to be to wait for announcement.

4. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Well, what exactly did he say? (I don't want him to retire...:()

5. IceKween

IceKween New Member

Did he get a contract with SOI? Scottie seemed to drool over him. I suppose it depends on SOI. If not, maybe he'll stay in another season.

6. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

Nothing for SOI. And there "MORE CAST MEMBERS TO COME" module is gone. So maybe next year?

And all his twitter said was:
    Good byyyyyyyyyyye 7:43 PM Mar 25th via web

7. Marroncream

Marroncream New Member

I think SOI only makes contracts with skaters who are national champions or world medalists. Unfortunately Ryan doesn't fit the criteria, so it's less likely for us to see him skates in SOI unless he wins one of the medals. :(
    I really hope he breaks Rudy Galindo's record as the oldest US men's national champion for the first time at next Nats. :)

8. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I hope he does one more season, to skate at Worlds without a broken foot. He has a good chance of making the world team, even if Abbott and Rippon beat him. There's really only Mroz to worry about other than that.

9. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Grant Hochstein, Keegan Messing, Ross Miner, Richard Dornbush, Armin Mahbanoozadeh, Doug Razzano, Max Aaron, Joshua Farris, Jason Brown.....

10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

This wk on US, Johnny said he wasnt retiring and told the officials which GP events he wants next season.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Ryan is often his own worst enemy. He lost a spot on the Olympic team, because he doubled the Axel and lutz in his SP at Nationals. So there's no guarantee he'll be on the podium next year even if both Evan and Weir don't show up.

12. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

He skated at worlds before, without the broken foot, and did just about the same.

13. jlai

jlai Title-less

Kudos to him for skating through injury. :respec:
    That said, he suffers from the same problem Flatt does: not a GOE skater. So it's hard for him to rack up enough GOE and PCS to place well. If he wants to continue, I'm sure that needs working on.

14. silverstars

silverstars New Member

And Evan. He's said that he's not done competing yet too.

15. Marroncream

Marroncream New Member

His techniques have improved a lot since 2007.
    A Japanese commentator said during the 4 continents coverage Ryan would be one of the top skaters in the world if his skates glide more. The same person criticized him during 2007 Nats, saying he raked in the points only by landing jumps.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  16. personwhoishere

personwhoishere Well-Known Member

I sure hope not. For me, he's by far the most interesting and entertaining mens skater at the moment. I love his creativity. :)

17. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone out of that group will really challenge for a World spot as early as next year. 2012, perhaps, but I don't see it happening next year. Miner and Mahbanoozadeh, if they're healthy, should be the most successful out of those guys, and Messing can't be counted out either, but I'm not sure if any of them are on the same level as a healthy Ryan Bradley.

18. pairsskater

pairsskater New Member

Which, of course, explains why Johnny has never been asked to SOI. Ooops, sorry---wrong thread! :p

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  19. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

I share your hope. Also, I think it a shame that SOI will ignore someone as genuinely entertaining as Ryan.

20. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Weir and Lysacek both claim they are coming back next year. Personally I dont believe either one of them for a second, but there is still the possability atleast 1 of them does show up, in which case it virtually ends Bradley's hopes if he were there, even with 3 spots. He beat Rippon this years Nationals, but Rippon has definitely gone on an ascent since then and the USFSA knows he is probably their future. He wont be beating any of Abbott, Rippon, or if 1 shows Weir or Lysacek, at next years Nationals unless Weir skates a very COP unfriendly program with a couple mistakes, or if Abbott or Rippon goes on one of their occasional major bombfests. Even if neither Weir or Lysacek return which is probably a good chance anyway, someone like Mroz will probably beat him if he stays upright this time around. The USFSA will know now is the time to start building up the guys who could be there for 2014.

I like Bradley but now is the right time to go out. It is a shame he didnt quite make his dream of going to the Olympics.

21. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

If and when he goes, I'll miss him. A lot :(

If the ISU Congress upgrades points for quads again, (and updates the downgrade rule as well) he should consider staying another season.

Additionally, he should keep up with the training with the Detroit ice dancers to work on basic skating.

22. rudi

rudi Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I might even have been tempted to pay SOI's ridiculous prices if Ryan would have been in the show.

23. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

NOOO Ryan don't retire! You bring joy to skating!

24. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

I actually had a dream last night Ryan announced retirement and I started bawling.

Ironic part is, that would most definitely be my reaction in real life.

25. REO

REO New Member

I agree with the SOI thing. Ryan is one of the most entertaining skaters out there. That's their whole problem with filling seats. No showmen. As technically great as Lysacek may be he's boring to watch for the average fan. And those old dudes are getting - old. They could maybe get some of their audience back if they'd use skaters like Ryan and yes, Weir.

26. corey

corey New Member

If Ryan does retire I will miss seeing him skate. He is so entertaing. It is a shame stars on ice doesn't want him or Johny Weir.They are two of the most amazing skaters out there.

27. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

I don't think thats the case... I'm sure SOI wants him (Scott was crazy for him...). There must've been a scheduling conflict or something because Ryan is doing some other shows. Or maybe Ryan turned it down for now? Who knows.

28. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I also think that the US judges might find a way to get Ryan to the top next year, if only for one year, kind of reward him for all these years, sort of ala Alissa, especially if Evan and Johnny do not come back. Then Ryan could retire at the top. And the judges could get on to anointing Adam and the kids pre 2014.

29. Marroncream

Marroncream New Member

The reason I want Ryan Bradley to continue competing one more year is his improvement.
    If he had stayed as the past seasons' level, though I'd be sad about his retirement, I probably wouldn't mind much him not carrying on. I just would be happy to see him as a professional skater. But he advanced in his skills tremendously this season, and that makes me want to see what he will achieve next season.

At the 2007 worlds, I'm sorry to say this, but my judging was Ryan was a 10th-20th range skater. Even if he'd skated of his life, he'd have just earned 9th like Kristoffer Berntsson there. This year I thought his level was a 5th-10th range if he did two ok skates, like Contesti at L.A worlds. I'm so sorry he has a foot injury. Not only it must have hindered his performances at the worlds but it must've deprived of practice hours, which affected his skating like his footwork sequences were not as edgy as the ones at the nationals or the 4CC, and the axis of the jumps were not as sold as either. And next year, if he keeps improving I guess he'll be in the top 5 range.

I went to Skate America and US Nats this season and Bradley was in the both competitions. When I saw skaters stroking at a men's practice, I noticed why people say about his lack of basic skating skills. I thought his was the worst, even worse than Kevin Reynolds and Jialiang WU. Then at the Nats I was totally surprised to see his skating at a practice. It was just two months since SA, but his edge work was much different! (I found the answer why in the manleywoman's skatecast with Tom Dickson.;)) Though his skating has still much need to improve. If his glide, edge work, and speed continue improving like what happened to Ashley Wagner's skating skills, what exciting total package skater he's going to be!

Honestly I didn't think he was going to be the US champ this year, but his progress makes me think it's possible next year if he improves at the same rate. That's why I want him to stay one more year. :)
    People might doubt about him wining US title, but when I said Jeremy would be a US champ a few years ago people laughed at me either. ;)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  30. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Me too. The day when Ryan and Tomas retire will be a sad, sad day in my life :(