Is Anyone Going to Watch Fashion Star on NBC?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by FiveRinger, Mar 13, 2012.

1. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

Just curious to see if anyone is going to watch? I am going to give it a shot for the premiere and try not to be judgmental. It will be impossible not to compare to Project Runway, but it might be worth it??:slinkaway Starts at 9:30pm EST tonight

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

nope - seems about 5 years too late

3. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I'm going to check it out. It seems like it's a combination of PR and Shark Tank. Interesting twist. It might be fun to see what and who, Saks, Macy's, and H&M buyers go after. Such dynamically different markets. Wonder when this was filmed. Since the garments that get selected go on sale immediately after the show, they have to have been in production for a while. Anyone know if it's on-line purchase only or if the garments will be in stores at the same time?

4. soxxy

soxxy Guest

The show received a short, but surprisingly good review from the NY Times:

http://tv.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/ar...r-designer-competition-series-on-nbc.html?hpw

I :rofl::

5. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'll watch tonight; and then, determine if I'll watch again.

6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I would sooner stick sharp objects in my eyes than watch something with Jessica Simpson *and* Nicole Richie.

sk9tingfan and (deleted member) like this.
  7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I'd rather commit suicide than listen to Jessica Simpson talk. Although, listening to her talk is better than listening to her sing...

8. Glide2

Glide2 New Member

I watched and was underwhelmed. The good: the designers have pattern makers and seamstresses to make the clothes. So that fixes a major annoyance from PR. Also the store buyers from Macy's, Saks, and H&M bring this into the real world of business. They only bid on 6 designer's items. Less than half of the group. Also good, if u just fine Jessica annoying, well, she isn't the focus of the show by a long shot.

The bad: no impressive clothes so far. Elle doesn't bring much as a host. Having the panel of mentors on one side giving comments and the panel of buyers bidding makes a crowded stage.

The strange : the rip offs from Project Runway include hiring contestants who LOOK like former runway contestant. Remember the drunk English woman from Houston the FIRST season. Her lookalike did well tonight but is a mom not a trained professional. And the season with Sasha Cohen had the guy menswear designer who always wore bowties. The had his lookalike. Didn't do well making women's wide leg unflattering pants.And they have a woman making caftans and swimwear. Kind of a less talented Ulli!

9. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Liked the pacing of the show. There wasn't that much filler and only two contestant profiles went over the top. I'll try again next week. Varvatos is a hoot.

10. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I was also a bit underwhelmed. The format is a bit disjointed. Why did the second to last group have four? And why did they just gloss over them? Didn't like the men's blazer, ill-fitting, too short-waisted. I actually liked e motorcycle jackets. But the guy was a jerk. The little toady guy is going to get annoying - fast!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  11. skatesindreams

I'll keep watching.

It's all about what the store's buyers select.
    Except for Saks, they need to appeal to "mass market" taste.
    Even "trends" have to be wearable for the general audience.

Oscar won't last long.
    His "vibe" is too "carnival"; not in a good way.

12. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Well, someone is obviously listening to her as her clothing and other lines' gross sales are expected to approach $1 billion. Maybe she is more cohert when pitching products to buyers or she wears one of those devices that modify your voice so that it's indistinguishable....:p

13. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I was really surprised at Saks buying that zipper skirt. It's selling for around $350! It looked more H&M to me. Too cutesy for Saks, it looked cheap. I actually thought that the dresses with the hip poufs looked more upscale. They needed some toning down, but they were interesting. Especially the two piece red one.

14. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Ah man- I meant to watch this. The commercials looked good.

But Jessica Simpson and Nicole Richie? I didn't realize they were involved- I don't mind Simpson, but not sure I can take much of Richie.

15. skatesindreams

There hasn't been much on-screen activity from either of them, thus far.

16. Michalle

Michalle New Member

I have a sneaking suspicion that Jessica Simpson doesn't actually do anything for that clothing line... it's not like she's pitching ideas and designing, she's just putting her name on it.

17. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Isn't Jessica Simpson majorly pregnant, like ready to pop, so this was filmed early last fall, perhaps even in summer.

18. skatesindreams

She is about to deliver.
    This was filmed some time ago.

The clothes selected would not be available in the stores, otherwise.

19. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

Sad that you guys are giving it lackluster reviews :( as a Fashion student I was excited for this show....

I have yet to see it though, the dress they had at H&M looked really cute and was a good price.

20. Capella

Capella Guest

I enjoyed it more than I expected. Nicole R was kind of human! Actually, she's was giving me a bit of a Tanith vibe for some reason. And Jessica did seem in her element. I like how she said what was on her mind--and that it was relevant to what was going on.

The "throwaway" of the penultimate runway group made me think TPTB were told they were going to have a 2-hour premier and when it was cut to 90 minutes, they had to just start chopping parts out.

I will definitely give this another week! (But then my standards can be pretty low at times. I actually watched "Remodeled" for all 4 weeks or whatever it was on.)

21. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I actually thought Nicloe sounded pretty good. Simpson just annoys me, but she was okay.

22. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

I watched and will give it another week to tilt the "DVR delete or continue" decision.

Nicole was good, Simpson was okay (but in an "everywoman/Ellen Degeneres" manner vice voice of expertise), and the acerbic Saks buyer was cool.

Haven't seen enough of the designers to make an assessment ... though it's :lol: to see Tilda Swinson there

... and I :yikes: at the thought of multiple weeks of the insufferable Oscar, who reminds me FAR too much of Mr. Beuregard on American Dad. (Probably won't have to worry about that though, as his designs seem dated and derivative.)

The format is good, but there are too many contestants. I always want to see more double eliminations at the start of these shows ... there's just too much of a time commitment many times for me to keep watching. (I'm looking at you, Celebrity Apprentice!)