Irina Slutskaya

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by arakwafan2006, Dec 10, 2012.

1. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

she was always marked down on the second mark because she had absolutely no finesse... She wasn't even a skater who had awesome jumps like Midori Ito where you were so awed by them that you could overlook the flaws in other areas... I feel she got as far as she did because of Russian politics....

2. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Thank you for this thread! I love her, maybe she wasn't too pretty, but she was a great skater and champion.

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

May be she wasn't pretty in the usual figure skating sense, but I thought she was beautiful.

4. Vash01

Really? You don't give her any credit for landing amazing 3-3 combinations that most skaters shunned those days? No credit for her speed, power, athleticism, her connection with the audience, her pure joy of skating, her amazing footwork, and doing the Biellman on both sides when very few skaters were doing a Biellman at all? She did not have the kind of body that creates lines, but that does not mean she did not have finesse and other great qualities.

5. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I found her an amazing skater both technically and presentation wise. She didnt have the balletic qualities of a Kwan or Cohen, but she had her own style which was fast, dynamic, expressive, dramatic, energetic, and a great command and presence on the ice which I noticed more when seeing her live, and which led to respectable or strong 2nd marks. I think she might be the best overall technical skater ever when considering not only jumps, but jumps, jump combinations, spins, footwork, stroking and speed, even spirals (hers were actually much better than most, biased Button and Fleming made them sound bad only since Cohen and Kwan's stunning spirals were much better). Her spirals were way above hip level normally, and I look back at say the 92 Olympics and Irina's spirals are way better than Midori Ito who while I love her truly had average ones, and atleast as good as Yamaguchi who was considered one of the best at the time. Her only weakness was her problems with nerves in World or Olympic events. She was capable of winning about 6 Worlds and 2 Olympics potentially- 2000, 2001, 2006, maybe 1997, 2002 and 2006 Olympics, had she skated to her potential, but only managed 2.

6. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I just wonder if you've ever even put on a pair of skates before. If you have, then you should know that it takes a lot of grueling, exhausting hours (hard work) of practice each day whether one likes it or not.

As far as this goes ... "Her grating landings, her ugly posture, her ill positioned back and posture." When's the last time you had your eyes checked? You know, there's cheaper rates and affordable insurance now. It shouldn't cost a lot for you to visit an Optomitrist. That might actually help. :)

7. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I don't think most skaters shunned them. I think most skaters couldn't do them. Even Slutskaya couldn't do them as consistently as I'm sure she would have liked.

8. Vash01

That's what I meant. Wrong choice of words on my part.

9. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Yes!!! I love her smile!!!! So sweet!!

10. David21

David21 Well-Known Member

Cohen's and Kwan's spirals were clearly better only as far as quality of position was concerned. Slutskaya's speed, edges and transitions in her spirals were better than Cohen and at least on par with Kwan IMO.

11. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

It's amazing that after more than 6 years since her last competitive performance, she shows up at the pro-am in Japan earlier this season and nails a program with identical technical content to what she was doing in 98-99 :respec:

12. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

IIRC comments from the time I think I'm in the minority as far as Irina's 2002 Olympic LP - I enjoyed it. She was a tremendous athlete but worked hard on improving her artistry. I loved her beautiful deep edges, her powerful stroking. Perhaps the only negative aspects were on her posture (she seemed to hunch a little) and also the tendency to 'telegraph' her jumps as Scott Hamilton often pointed out. But what jumps they were! She is missed.

13. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

I actually enjoy Slutskaya's spirals, she does them on deep edges and with great speed like Kwan, but in addition to Kwan's extension and position, I always swooned over how stable Kwan was able to keep her upper body and her edges throughout her spiral sequences. Irina couldn't quite match that stability a lot of the time

14. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Slute is a wonderful athlete and competitor. I always thought she would be able to achieve more if she had focused on perfecting an easier 3/3 (like a 3toe3toe or 3sal3toe).

You mean during the change of edge? Absolutely.

And also, she mostly skated through the music during free skates. In short programs and exhibition skates, she was able to feel and express the music a lot more. My favorite was her 2001 short program to Culture.

I lost a lot of respect for her after seeing her COP spins and spirals.

15. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

One thing I liked about both Slute and Kwan in 2002 is that they worked on skills that the other was strong in. If you watch their Olympic SPs, for example, you see how much better Irina's spirals (in terms of position and maybe even stability) were in 2002 while Kwan's spins in SLC were held longer and faster.

16. David21

David21 Well-Known Member

After CoP was introduced and Slutskaya had to do those CoE-spirals, her edges often were "hit-or-miss", yeah (but one has to consider she did them in a more difficult position than most skaters). On her other spirals and pre-CoP, her edges were mostly stable and deep.

17. lulu

lulu New Member

I never consider that before, but that's a great point. :)

I love Irina's incredible speed over the ice, her athleticism, skating skills, presentation skills and 3-3 jumps. She really was amazing. :cheer: