Irina Slutskaya

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by arakwafan2006, Dec 10, 2012.

1. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

Am I the only one who is seeing this for the first time?

That footwork into triple flip combo, the running 3's into the loop without breaking and the whole presentation of it all. I think this was her best SP.

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpOKM8P_Msc

2. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

I like the 1998-1999 GPF version even better. It's my second favorite SP performance of Slutskaya's, right behind the 2002 Worlds "Serenade".

3. arakwafan2006

I am like a kid on Christmas when i find footage of something i have never seen before from a skater i thought i had seen it all from!

4. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Wow, now that was magnificent!

5. Excidra

Excidra New Member

Wow

Love this woman.

6. Kelvster

Kelvster Well-Known Member

thank you very much. It's a beautiful programme!

7. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Thanks arakwafan. Irina and Michelle were my favourites at that time, and yes they were both great competitors pushing each other to excel in order to win.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

She was wonderful. I never understood the 'truck driver' comments, unless they were just gratuitous nastiness.

Serenade at Worlds 2002 is my favourite as well. :)

9. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Irina always did that move- running 3 turns into a 3R, and her footwork was brilliant. She did the whole thing on one foot in some of her SPs. She was unfairly trashed on fsu. I loved so many aspects of her skating!

10. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I had never seen this program. Very smooth, and such a classy lady! Thank you for sharing the video!

11. GoGreen

GoGreen New Member

I remember this program, Irina always had some nice move into loops. I also remember her doing beautiful spiral and then directly into 2A. She is just such a joy to watch.

12. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Nice to see that some posters appreciate Irina's great qualities. Nobody is good at absolutely everything. Some people just want to trash certain skaters, no matter what they do or don't do.

13. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

She also used difficult turns and almost no cross overs for her spiral sequence. She wobbled a little on her RFO this time around, but she usually had very good edges on hers.

14. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

This seems to belong in Trash Can, but ... Ahhhh, thanks ... the memories. Although, I don't recall these specific Irina performances from 1998 - 1999, seeing them now makes it clear that Irina was beginning to develop more artistically during 1998 - 1999. It seems she also cut her hair very short around the same time as Michelle. :)

For me though, it was this program and this performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hINNgBAqIxQ

that began to open my eyes to Irina's wonderful artistic qualities which were more fully blossoming that season (1999 - 2000) than they ever were. I believe it was somewhere around that time too that she met her future husband, and likely was beginning to discover and express more of who she was on the ice. Love Dick's memorable "pinch her cheeks" anecdote. :)

Although Irina had many wonderful performances in later seasons, I don't think she fully built upon the lovely, lyrical qualities she displayed in the above performance from 1999 - 2000. I feel that she eventually went back to relying upon her athletic strengths, rather than building upon and tapping more into her soulful artistic potential.

Above all, and not unlike Michelle Kwan, Irina was a courageous fighter and a champion.

15. query5

query5 New Member

good competitors bring out the best in each other, irina and michelle, and a few others

16. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

I loved her Serenade SP at GWG the most. Also loved her Shostokovich (sp?) SP

P.S. I agree with Aftershocks- this belongs in the Trash can, but nice thread regardless.

17. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

Hmm, I'll be the bad one here. Her grating landings, her ugly posture, her ill positioned back and posture. I will give her props on all those 3turns going into her flip combo and loop. This is not art, this is not pleasant (to me). She should have been hammered for this program. I know "Autumn Leaves", know the film, know the soap operaish of it. This is not a winner. IMO. I love the song "Autumn Leaves". I would never endorse if this program was next to me. Let's get a little real here. It was a change for her from truck driving and steamrolling through Broadway musicals. Yes she was clearly trying to grow, but it doesn't mean it was GOOD. I think her Autumn Leaves was horrendous. (except for the continuous 3turns into her flip combo., interesting...)

18. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

:lynch: Alex Forrest . Wet blanket!!

19. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Yes, you are the bad one. :)

Irina had some great qualities that other skaters did not. I look at the positive. She skated the Broadway musical melody when she was 16, and she did not remain there. She was one of the great champions, IMO. I wish she had won an OGM, and she was in a position to, twice. She and Michelle was so different from each other, and yet I loved watching both of them.

20. David21

David21 Well-Known Member

And the US judge was still marking her down on the 2nd mark :lol:

No matter which style she was trying, some judges always found an excuse to let their biases shine through to be able to put their faves above Slutskaya based on the (more subjective) presentation mark.

21. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Yeah well, she would later benefit from subjective scoring as well...and the beat goes on.

22. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

As a former Kwaniac, I remember being rather critical of Irina. However, I no longer feel the need to say such things. I agree, they are both great skaters and champions. In fact, when addressing Tuktamysheva's struggles this past week I found myself hoping that she finds her way a la Irina, that is to multiple Euro, World, and Olympic medals after she matures :)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  23. arakwafan2006

Not to make this about Liza but I as well hope that she finds her way. She does seem to be mentally doing better with the idea that it's not as easy as it looks. Even though Mishin did nothing to change her technique, to her, everything must feel totally new as her body is VERY different than it was. You almost dont want a skater that talented to win too early because when you're young like that, you come to expect that all will go well ( it has up until that point) and when repeatedly it does not, it's a tough pill to swallow.

24. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

To be honest, not that impressed.

25. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

LOL, I don't think I'm that nasty, but IMO, she is not graceful at all. And a "truck driver" comment is, for me, an objective fact.
    Of course, this has nothing to do with her fantastic technical qualities.

26. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

For you, maybe. For others, it's an opinion. With which they might agree, or not.
    For one thing, what does it even mean in terms of skating?

If you've seen her driving a truck on a regular basis, or seen her commercial driving license, then I guess it is an objective fact. :)

27. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Hehe, that's right.
    What I wanted to say was just that it's not that important. She is not graceful, but she has other qualities and is a very good skater. So, I can enjoy her skating, and not being shocked by "truck driver" comments. :)

28. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

I loved the spiral sequence in this program. This particular execution of it was not the best (I remember better at other competitions), but the rocker turn from back spiral to forward spiral and the amount of ice covered with minimal pushing was still quite spectacular.

Flip seemed rather lippy to me, no?

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  29. Excidra

Excidra New Member

Was this necessary?

Clearly this thread was created for Slutskaya fans to gush about her skating skills and past programs.. But you waltz in only to tear her down. You're a class act.

30. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I was never a big fan of Irina's skating (I'm still not) but over the year's I've gained a big appreciation for what she did during her time. Her jumps were big, her speed was excellent, her spins (while not always the prettiest in terms of position) were difficult and fast, and she pushed herself technically. I preferred (and still prefer) a softer, more graceful and controlled skater but I've learned to appreciate Irina's energy and personality on the ice. The thing I loved the most about her was her longevity and her love for the sport. To go through the trials that she did and still return to skating just because you love to compete...that really made me a fan of hers.

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.