iPhone5

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by cruisin, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I didn't say that I rented it. :shuffle:

I didn't say it was legal :shuffle:.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Hmm, not sure why but this thread is about parallel parking now. I used to be a pro at this and got into the tightest of spots, a useful skill in San Francisco. Parallel parking on a steep San Francisco hill, now that's taking it to another level, even the locals hate that.

3. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I didn't say you did :confused:

4. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

No, you didn't. I was just making the point that an unlicensed driver under 25 can't rent a car here, either. :shuffle:

The shuffle was for Peter G.

5. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

Folks who live in one of the more crowded cities have to parallel park all the time. My fiance has only been in CA (was born here and has never set foot in any other state) and he's a pro at parallel parking. :lol: Changing lanes is still a bit of a challenge, but that's because he still has his mirrors oriented too far in and has to look around my Civic's huge columns to check the blind spots. :p I'm much better at changing lanes, but still need practice eyeballing for parallel parking. I hate paying for metered parking anyway, so I usually aim for the validated garages.

I also have been in a car where the driver, an older Asian lady, did (I swear) a 16-point turn just to get INTO a MARKED parking space. :rofl: I was like, "Just park the car already, I don't care if it's crooked IN THE SPACE. Don't you see the car behind us cursing us out?" :rofl: So in some regards, the stereotypes involving Asian drivers can be true. :shuffle:

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

I think a new FSU term has been coined! :)
    Ain’t thread drift grand? :lol:

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

ooooops.... :slinkaway

8. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Back to iPhones:

Had my new iPhone 5 literally snatched out of my hand while I was dining at a busy restaurant last night. Fortunately, witnesses were able to chase the thief down and recover the phone almost instantly.

If that hadn't worked, police cruisers have laptops in them, and because I just set up the "Find My iPhone" app, I would have been able to log on to iCloud, track the phone's precise location, and display a warning message/sound a loud ring tone. I directed the police officer to do just this after we recovered the phone, as extra proof that the phone was actually mine (beyond the fact that there's a huge picture of me for its wallpaper).

So, a word to the wise - download this app now if you have iPhone 3GS and later, and set it up. It only takes a few minutes to do so. I'm sure there are also similar apps for non-Apple devices.

CanuckSk8r and (deleted member) like this.
  9. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I'm surprised people find CA drivers to be scary. I find them to be pretty mellow. For example, if you put on your turn signal, they will mostly let you into the lane. That almost never happened to me driving on the East Coast, especially places like the Schuylkill Expressway Expressway ... which wasn't called the SureKill Expressway for nothing.

Anyway, I am liking the new iOS6 but I am not happy with the Music app. Creating playlists on that thing is a major PITA!

10. mkats

mkats New Member

Yikes, I'm glad you got it back UMBS!

I set up Find my iPhone two days ago, but it always thinks it's in Cupertino :confused: I'm thinking that must be the default, but how do I get it changed? It's definitely set to "on" on the phone itself.

Also, thanks to FSU, I got iCloud (I keep typing iCould..?) and the photostream set up. The only thing it's super useful for me is for pictures, since I use my iPhone as my main camera - particularly as I'm typing up a blogpost and decide on illustrations as I go - and I would have to plug in the phone and download them manually, or email them to myself, but that function is absolutely perfect for me. Took me awhile to figure out that it a) only works on wireless, and b) only works when you have 20% or more battery though, since I like to wear mine down to less than 5-6% before charging it :p

11. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

mkats, did the same series of steps as last night:
    1) just logged onto iCloud again and it still thinks my phone is on the street corner where I met the police cruiser
    2) clicked on "Devices" on the upper left and selected my phone
    3) went back to the iCloud homepage and then clicked "Find My iPhone" again, which now displays the new location (currently next to me at my home).
    4) I assume refreshing the page would have accomplished the same thing.

12. mkats

mkats New Member

Oh hey, now it works!! Awesome, thanks :)

13. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I got the new iPhone 5 by necessity :shuffle: My iPhone 4 had an accident last night.

I synced when I got home and my apps, photos and music are not on the iPhone :( No problem with contacts, and my iPad is still fine, but I need my music on my iPhone, darn it! Tried a restore from backup to no avail, so am now restoring to factory settings. :mad: They cut my SIM card to make it fit, so no new number. Love the new earphones.

14. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

LOL @ Angleskates. Hope you get your music back soon. Never had any such problem. :D

15. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Fixed! :cheer2: (and for the photos, I just had to open iPhoto - one of my 8 year old clients told me! :shuffle:)

And my VPN works, too! Woo!

Buzz and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Hehehehe :rofl:

17. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

Ordered my iPhone5 on Nov. 1, it is supposed to arrive tomorrow! Yay!:D

18. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Let us know if it arrives on time! :cheer:

19. sk8pics

Yes, it arrived on my front porch at around 3. I have it, but haven't opened it yet as I need to back up my iPhone4 first and get everything ready to upgrade. A little later tonight. :)

20. sk8pics

Love the new iPhone. I still have the clear film on the front, but will go buy a screen protector later today or tomorrow. I already got a case for it. Everything synced but the odd thing is that the purchased playlist does not show up on the iPhone, even though in the settings through iTunes that is one of the playlists I sync. But the music is all there. Must be something about the whole definition of purchased. I will have to make a new playlist to bring over all my more recent downloads together... too annoying otherwise. And I love Siri.

21. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

i have an ipad - but the blackerry is the only phone that i can work off of- (trust me i tried- casue i do get tired of all the blackberry bugs!!) but i hate the three taps needed to find some keys on the iphone!!! if i was changing i wold go smamsung galaxy- that phone looks fabulous! but i would have to look at the key functions!! ;)

22. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I love it. I wasn't planning on getting one but I really liked the camera (the camera is very important to me).

23. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  24. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Yes, bravo to Samsung for giving us the forward-facing camera, for decent profile pictures. One thing I think looks very stupid is the self-portrait photos where you can that the person is holding the phone up to a mirror. That looks so ridiculous.

25. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

iPhone has a forward facing camera.

26. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

So does HTC. In fact, I think most do now, don't they? I know most mid to high range phones have had them for about 18 months...