iPhone5

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by cruisin, Sep 22, 2012.

1. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I forgot to say that someone at work has the Galaxy 2 and she's SO proud of it but I thought she had some off-market phone when I first saw it as it was so big and clunky. The Galaxy 3 is much sexier but I'm not going to change over for it as I recently got an iPhone 4s.

2. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

One reason I ended up with the S2 was because it had over 800 reviews on the online Sprint Store and a 4.5 out of 5 star rating. I read a couple reviews, read the specs over and had one in my hot little hands 2 days later. I love mine; the 3G works fast enough that when my hard drive on my PC died a month ago I decided not to replace it, resurrected my older PC that can do everything else but go online, and cancelled my Road Runner, making my phone my only Internet connection.

3. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I saw that Galaxy S3 and I am liking it! I'm going to have to start researching reliability and longevity of Galaxy. I don't want my next phone to start going out around the 1.5 year mark like my previous LG EnV Touch and my current HTC Incredible. grrrr

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. KCC

KCC Active Member

The store replaced my iPad for me today. They could not get the old one to start either. Really hope I don't have this much trouble with the new one.

5. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Excellent! They are really good about replacing things. I had an Airport go, about 6 months ago. It was about 2 weeks out of warrantee. But, the genius replaced it anyway. Of course 6 weeks ago (or so) we got hit by lightning and it fried the Airport. So, I had to buy a new one anyway. This time the insurance company paid for it.

Your new one should be fine. Every once in a while, you just get a lemon. Fortunately Apple takes care of their customers, when that does happen.

6. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

I finally updated my Iphone4S the other day and it seems that all the icons for my apps have disappeared - I have to go to the APP store every time to search and open them.

Anyone know how I can restore them on a permanent basis?

Thanks.

ETA: problem is solved - for some reason there is a blank screen between my basic settnigs and all the apps that were downloaded.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  7. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Good to know I made the right decision in not updating my 4S. If the maps are that bad for London, goodness knows what they'd be like for over here. :yikes:

And yes cruisin we know that you have had no problems and that Apple is the saviour of all mankind. :p

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Bunny Hop

Bunny Hop Perpetually learning Dutch Waltz

I thought I'd test Google Maps in the browser, to see if it did all the same things. There are a couple of major differences from the app that affect its usability. Firstly, you can't see both the map and directions on the same screen, like you can with the app, and I also couldn't get it to find my location using the phone's GPS, like the app does (I think it's meant to do that, but I couldn't get it to work). So, it's really not the same.

As Google Maps is one of the few apps I actually use frequently, I'm sticking with my decision not to update to the new operating system on iPhone4. I never had any intention of imminently updating the phone itself, as the 4 still works perfectly well.

9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I have never had any problems with Apple either. One of the main reasons I will stick to Apple is the customer service. My last phone was also a Blackberry and I LOVED it. But one day it just stopped working and no matter what number I called or where I went no one, especially at Rogers, could help. Had to pay full price to replace it. To be fair it did have water damage in the past. As for the maps, I remember a long time ago there was a mapping service online which got the name of Toronto's Yonge Street wrong. That I believe has since changed so in time with greater user input Apple maps will also get better. I have never really trusted online maps anyway and always have the paper one on hand when traveling to unfamiliar territory. LOL

10. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Paper maps :eek:

MacMadame and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

:blocjudge

12. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

I upgraded my iPhone4 to ios6 and lo-ving it! And the maps app is soooo much better (for me) than the old one. I'm talking about user friendliness mainly, haven't used it enough to figure if there are many mistakes, but it's working very well with the french names of montreal, which is always tricky with maps and gps apps, and the gps feature is VERY good so far

Or maybe I have lower standards than everyone else :p

13. Angelskates

Surprisingly google maps also works really well for me. I never would have thought it, considering my location! It works well giving directions using walking, driving AND subway. The public transport being accurate really surprises me. Of course, I have on,y experimented. It'll probably not work when I really need it to :lol:

14. cruisin

Not the savior of all mankind. Not everyone has seen the light - yet! :lol: You should switch to Mac, it might make you more cheerful :p.

The Google Maps that came on the 4s did not have audio navigation. So, the new iPhone map app is better for navigation, if you're driving. I did not download the Google app. I got the GPS Drive Motion X app. It is free for the map system and $9.00 a year for audio navigation. It works very well, better than Google Maps on my old Droid. I don't need it now, though.

I love paper maps. Not for navigating, unless there is someone in the car to read it. But, if I am traveling, I like to look at paper maps to plot out where I am going. I had paper maps when I traveled through Italy, the last time. If we didn't we'd have been screwed, since the GPS went crazy in some areas.

15. Karina1974

LOL... come hike the High Peaks area of the Adirondacks in northern NY. You'll find out the advantages of knowing how to read and use paper maps, as well as a compass. The Trek program run by the BSA up there specifically requires proficiency in orienteering.

Unfortunately for the general public, map reading is another skill that is fast being rendered obsolete by digital technology.

16. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

I'll switch to Mac when you stop complaining about healthcare. :p

And pay for my Mac. :D

17. Angelskates

I have no problems reading a paper map or using a compass, but I still don't ever choose to. They're a pain in the ass to hold for one thing.

18. cruisin

Not likely I'll stop complaining about something that won't work. And is just a half assed attempt. But, I can send you my old Mac :D.

I was listening to an NJ radio talk show yesterday. They based one of their topics on: Can you do any of these 4 things:
    1. Drive a stick shift.
    2. Read a paper map.
    3. Change a tire.
    4. Parallel Park.

It was initiated by a news story about some 18 year old idiot in Newark, who carjacked a Porsche 911. Unfortunately, he couldn't drive the car because he can't drive a stick shift. He got caught and now faces up to 15 years in jail. One would think that if a person were going to steal a car, they would know how to drive it :rofl:.

Anyway, callers called in with the things they could and could not do. I was surprised at how many young people have never used a paper map! I can't drive a stick shift (never had one to drive). But, can do the rest.

19. MacMadame

I can do it all. Does that make me old? :p

20. cruisin

Nope, it makes you talented :)

21. Karina1974

I can do all but drive stick. Parallel parking is simple for me because my car's length ends at the rear window.

I'll add another one to that list: park a car by backing it into where you want to put it. Bonus points if it is a single-car driveway (where the garage is in the back of the house), or like I do at home: backing off of the street into a parking lot and and then another 15 feet into my spot. Even better... try ending that maneuver between 2 other cars. Using just your mirrors (I use my sides to make sure I'm centered between the lines). I know backing in to park is an alien concept to most people, because I have had to deal several times with people getting right on my bumper in spite of the fact that I have pulled up past the gate to my lot, stopped, and put my signal on, and there are no oother driveways on that block for me to pull into. You'd think they'd get what I'm going to do next.

22. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Yep. All of them. But then, I'm antideluvian.

23. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

Nope, I'm younger than you and I can do it all ;) Though I'm not American and Americans have issues with stick shifts (or at least that's what I've been led to believe).

24. Karina1974

Not all of them. My older brothers are 43 and 45, and both of them know how to drive stick. You won't find too many people in my parents' generation (now in their mid-50's-80's) who didn't have to learn stick because, chances are, that was the only type of car available to them at that time. Those of us in our 30's and younger, though, are a different story.

25. cruisin

My son is 26 and drives a stick. He thinks it makes him cool :D.

26. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

That would be fine, if they were named correctly. But they're not. If I gave someone without local knowledge the name of my suburb and told them to walk there with apple maps, they wouldn't find it. That's a pretty big issue! Especially since, as you said, google maps doesn't really work on apple now. Fail.

Yes, yes, yes and yes. Aren't they all fairly basic? :confused: I'm 27. I don't drive stick because it's cool, I learned it because it's practical since in the wider world, there are lots of them. Fairly sure most cars in Europe are manual, and I even drove one in the US a month ago. Autos are easier, but give you less control.

Paper maps are significantly better and easier than Apple maps to understand ;)

Changing a tire - yep. My father taught me that when my mother taught my brother how to sew a button.

And who can't parallel park? Isn't it in your driving test? :scream: if it's not!

Now iphone users, is there a way to easily switch between keyboards without going back to settings? I won a childish sms battle this evening because I could make a joke about a Russian word using Cyrillic text and my friend couldn't. I'm still on my failing android, and he's on an iphone. I'm sure there must be a way that I'm overlooking?

ETA, never mind. It was fairly simple, I worked it out :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  27. cruisin

Parallel parking is still on the test. However, there is very little opportunity to do that anymore, in some areas. So, people are not very good at it. I never learned to drive a stick, we never had one. And at 59, I am not about to learn on my son's :lol:

28. HisWeirness

HisWeirness Happy Russian Hunger Games!

Parallel parking is not on the driving test in North Carolina.

29. cruisin

I think it still is in NJ, maybe not. I have no idea, anymore.

30. MacMadame

It wasn't on the test in Hawaii in 1983 and it's not on the test in CA right now.