iPhone5

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by cruisin, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I have 9 screens with most used on first, then the rest in folders I have named arranged in alphabetical order. I could have used free images as my background, but instead I chose a photo I took. I have an iPhone.

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I LOVE iCloud!!!! :cheer2:

3. Angelskates

I don't understand it...and I have two iMacs, and iPad 1, iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. Can you explain it to me as if I'm a little kid? :p:lol:

4. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

It's an online backup service. You get 5GB of storage free.

Might not be cost-effective for your iMacs and iPads, but at least for your iPhone, it's a good way to back up just your contacts, notes, photos, and settings.

5. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

All I did to transfer my stuff to my new device is to log on to iTunes then go to purchases and click on the clouds. Everything I clicked on was transferred. But I believe first you have to go to settings and turn on the iCloud service. I did the same thing to transfer my music. Hopes that helps.

6. Angelskates

But as my things are all on all my devices (and iTunes), do I still need it?

7. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I would say yes. It is a great tool to have.

8. Angelskates

Why?

9. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Did you get an iPhone?

How are all of your things on all of your devices? Do you have iCloud on them already and are they automatically sharing? If you bought any of them within the last year, they are pre-set for iCloud. What is nice about it is that you don't have to physically transfer anything between your devices. If you have iCloud on, on all of them, they automatically share the applications you check to share. For instance, you may want to share all photos, but not music - you check photos and do not check music. It really does make things easier.

10. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

No phone yet. My contract does not end until December so I will get one in time for Christmas. :D

11. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Oh, based on one of your posts, I thought maybe you found a way to get one (wish, wish).

12. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Okay, information re: OS6 download. The Passbook app that will not allow you to connect to the iTunes Store... I tried to download a different app and the same thing happened. So, I went into settings and found that Music, Apps, and Use Cellular Data had turned off with the download. If you go and turn them back on - it works!

13. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I was told I can buy out my contract and still keep my number. If true I might just be able to do just that.

14. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

15. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Thanks! I want one soooooo bad! :respec:

16. Angelskates

They're all synced to the same iTunes, so they all have the same things (I have the largest memory on all of them). My iPhone only has my 20 most recent albums, but I have photos backed up elsewhere (lots of places). I just don't see the point of iCloud.

17. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I find it's most useful for photos. I don't have to do anything to share between my iPhone, iPad, & iMac. Whatever I take with my phone automatically shares with the other devices. And when I upload from my camera to my Mac it shares with the other two. It's seamless.

18. Angelskates

Doesn't photostream do that anyway? (I hate photostream)

19. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I use iCloud to stream my photos.

20. KCC

KCC Active Member

My iPad 2 crashed twice in the last few weeks, and because I do not use iCloud, it resets to factory settings. Lost lots of photos from my iPad (that are also on my PC, which is backed up frequently, and on other memory devices (thumb drives, DVD's, etc.). Getting very frustrated with the iPad -- it will not even turn on now, and it is less than a year old.

21. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

You could take it back to your nearest Apple store and they will replace it for you.

22. Angelskates

Wow, I've never had mine crash, but if its screen just won't turn on, press the centre and on button together unless you get a flashing apple. That sets most apple products back to normal (not reset, back as it was before).

It should also still be under warranty.

23. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

That's the one thing that freaks me out about this phone - the HUGE touch screen in the front. Going from a much smaller flip-phone to the S II presented its share of hazards, like when I dropped it on the floor one time. There is now a tiny crack up in the very corner, thankfully away from the actual view-screen, and I went straight out to the Sprint Store the next day and bought a Ballistics case that at least protects the phone back, the corners and the screen (assuming it doesn't hit a corner or edge of something. When I go out riding and take the phone with me I wrap it up in a bandanna and put it in my saddle bag.

24. Fan123

Fan123 Active Member

I finally bought the Samsung Galaxy 3 over the Iphone 5, just got it a few days ago. I prefer the SG3 cuz of the big screen, love watching my videos, and especially skating and tennis videos on Youtube. I'm with TMobile, and I pay just $60 before tax for everything unlimited: texts, minutes, and data plan (2 GB)! As for the big size of my new phone, I'm totally fine with it cuz it fits perfectly in my hand. Apple is finally on the bandwagon, increasing its screen size on their new Iphone 5.

25. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

Absolutely take it to an Apple store and set up an appointment with a genius. Depending on what the problem is, they can reinstall the operating system, replace innards, or (if it's not fixable and still under warrantee) replace it. Don't wait! Do it as soon as you can.

26. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I also have an S3 and love it for its size. I don't see myself getting a tablet anytime soon, so this made sense. Plus, I'd bought a number of previous chargers for my blackberry bold, and can use them with my new phone! And with a removable battery, I can purchase an extra one.

I really struggled between this and the iPhone 5. They both seem like such great phones. I knew I'd be happy with whatever I got, and I am! And it was cheaper. :p

27. *Jen*

*Jen* Well-Known Member

Oh my, is the map ap bad :eek: I just looked at it. They've changed half the place names in London. All the boroughs are right, that I can see, but areas tend to be named after the local tube station rather than churches. They've changed the name of where I live, where I work and where I grew up. WHY?!!!

I've bought a 4s off a co-worker who upgraded to the 5. I love Android, but hate my useless HTC. I think I might sell the iphone on to another co-worker. It's not for me. It's pretty, but Android is better value for money and google aps are far superior.

Such a shame. If IOS 6 is anything to go by, Apple has peaked and is on the slide...

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Angelskates

I don't understand why people are up in arms about the maps, actually. You can still use google maps if you want to.

29. cruisin

cruisin Banned Member

I have found the new iPhone map to be fine. Maybe it has something to do with where you live? Or possibly your carrier?

30. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

They changed the data providers for map info so the new provider must name things differently.

I haven't found Google Maps on a Browser on my iPhone to be very usable. The Map app is much better in terms of UI.

Definitely not your carrier. But probably where you live. I know I used to work near Google and the details on the Maps app surrounding their headquarters were much better than some other areas I would travel through. :lol: