iPhone5

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by cruisin, Sep 22, 2012.

1. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Haven't seen anything on this yet. Anyone get one?

I did download the OS6 to my iPhone4s, which is free! Easy as pie. Didn't lose my apps either. My husband did his on his phone, I did mine through my iMac. Only difference the phone download took 20 minutes. The computer download took 10 minutes. The phone is faster. Siri seems to understand me better. And, best of all, the map now has vocal navigation. Definitely worth the 10 - 20 minutes to update!

2. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I think my iPhone 4s took all of five minutes to update. No problems so far!

:)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Have to wait until my contract is up before I can get my hands on one of the new iPhones.

4. cruisin

That's great, when did you do it? My husband did his last night, I did mine this morning. I wonder if traffic had anything to do with download times?

5. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Yesterday afternoon. I was scared, a bit, because a friend of mine lost everything on his phone when he did it :yikes: but, again, it all went well for me.

So far. :p

6. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

My phone took 20 minutes. My husband's, more than 5 hours!!! Seriously.

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Well, my 4S was stolen along with everything else in my car so I am waiting on the 5. Nothing yet.

8. cruisin

Do you have the 4s? If you do, you can download the new operating system for free.

I was worried, myself. My son's girlfriend told me that she lost apps when she did an upgrade on her iPad. So, I called Apple and asked them. They said I would probably lose my apps. but that I could reinstall them from my iTunes account. That would have been a pain in the butt. Glad I didn't have to do that.

Wow Twizzler, that's a loooong time!

9. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Ahem..... Nope.... Blackberry :slinkaway

Really and (deleted member) like this.
  10. cruisin

:lol: at the :slinkaway: How much longer is your contract? You will love the iPhone.

11. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

About four months. It will be a hard loooong wait. :(

12. cruisin

But worth it. Heard there were some Blackberry problems in Europe, Middle East, and Africa. I don't think the US was effected though. I'm not sure what it was. Something about them not connecting to the wireless providers. Outages of some kind.

13. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

There are less complicated ways to upgrade your phone. :slinkaway

14. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

OMG! I am soooo jealous! :EVILLE:

16. UMBS Go Blue

Did you have Find my iPhone (a free iCloud service) installed? If so, you could potentially track the phone down, which may also lead to information on the rest of your belongings and on the thieves themselves. :fragile:

17. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

I've been hearing complaints about the new Maps on iPhone 5. They no longer use the Google maps, but an ap made by Apple. Complaints include poor directions and places that are not recognized by the ap. CNN did an investigation into this and in DC, the new map ap could not find the CNN office or a common hotel chain. Apple's comment to CNN was, yes there are some problems but as people use the ap and imput their suggestions the map ap will get better. :rolleyes:

18. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I might ask for the iPhone 5 for Christmas. :biggrinbo I want one so badly. :fragile:

19. UMBS Go Blue

Which is all really nitpicking since:
    1) first of all, it's an app, and it's not only on the iPhone 5, it's going to be in iOS 6 for all Apple devices now
    2) if you want to use Google Maps, you can do so by going to Google Maps within Safari and then bookmarking it as a shortcut on your home screen.

I did try the Apple Maps feature yesterday on a route I know very well, and it was graphically rich (pseudo-3D), beautiful, and intuitive, adjusting seamlessly to deliberate changes I made in my route. Basically renders all GPS devices redundant.

All the other features work beautifully and while no single feature is necessarily the best out there, the sum is greater than the parts. The phone as a whole is really simple and intuitive to use and is one of the best out there on the market right now. I went out with a huge bunch of folks last night, some of whom had the Samsung Galaxy S III (a much-hyped competitor) and were decidedly underwhelmed with the Samsung.

Overall, the iPhone 5 reflects a series of incremental improvements over the 4S. If you have a similar-quality phone or an iPhone 4S, then there's really no need to switch or upgrade right now. In my case, I had a 2008 iPhone 3G which was totally obsolete, and which I happened to lose in the back of an NYC taxi cab the other week, but fortunately just in time for the iPhone 5 announcement and pre-sale.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  20. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I am planning to get one in a few weeks, though I may change my mind Monday when I see it at work.(One of my co-workers got his on Friday.). I am going to be away for a few days in October, and I don't want it to be delivered while I'm away, so I may just wait. I have an iPhone4, and so I'm really looking forward to the new one! I also have to decide if I will stay with AT&T, so that may delay my decision. I probably will, but we'll see...

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I know, right.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

It's not compatible with current mini-SIM cards, does that mean everyone who gets one needs a news phone number?

23. Twizzler

Twizzler Well-Known Member

YouTube disappeared on my phone and Mr. Twizz's phone as well.

Also, what is Passbook? Looks good, but when I tap the icon, it says "unable to connect to the iTunes Store. Is anyone else having that problem?

ETA: Nevermind. It's working now. I guess I just had to complain about it, lol!

24. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Wow, I was just sharing a critique I heard about and I'm very sorry I spelled app wrong. I'll do better next time...promise.

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Just did the download on my 4S iPhone - it was fast and I'm liking it a lot so far :). Now waiting on my iPad.

26. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I found that emotional blackmail work quite well on parents. :lol:

I have had cell phones for a long time including the ones with no sim card and my number has remained the same. It is just a matter of programming the new card I believe.

27. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I don't think this is possible with either the Chinese or Australian SIM cards :( Or maybe it's the networks it's not possible. I've bought my iPhones outright from Australia so I can use them on the Chinese local network.

28. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

Youtube won't be on the iPhone/iPod anymore. Apparently the licence ran out and they didn't renew it. I read that Google is developing a new app for it though.

29. cruisin

Yes, I got the Passbook icon and the same thing happens when I click on it - "Unable to connect to the iTunes Store". Yet, I can connect via the iTunes Store icon. I wonder if Passbook is just not available yet.

30. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of maybe getting a 5. I've always been android but my incredible has been acting up for a few months now, a couple of weeks ago I had to do a complete factory reboot/ACTIVATION with Verizon. This sucker is only 1.5 years old! I'm eligible for an upgrade next month so I'm starting to research.... Is there a big difference between android and apple? Does apple have a good working word processing app?