iPhone is finally Verizon!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by cruisin, Jan 12, 2011.

1. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Announced today iPhone will be available for Verizon as of February 10. :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

I wonder if this means there will be a compatible iPad for Verizon, with the next generation. One that does not require MiFi.

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Our contract expires in the summer. If Verizon is better than AT&T (and that's not too hard) and especially if there is a new iPhone at the time when we are done with our contract AND if I like HTC Evo less, I will consider the iPhone.

3. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

I hear that the first generation at least will only be on 3G network, not 4G and you will not be able to surf and talk at the same time. So check if these things matter to you.

4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yes, I am aware and am lying in wait. :sekret:

5. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, both sisters have Verizon and really like the service. One is in the Chicago area, the other in the DC area. So sometimes service can make up for the difference in the phone.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

I'm really excited about this too. My contract with AT&T is up the end of may, so I'll know after 3 months of Verizon's service if it's worth switching my current iPhone to them. And with rumors of iPhone 5 I can really have some choices to make!

7. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I read that they announced an iPad that runs on Verizon's network, too, so no mifi needed. Looks like many of the rumours we've been hearing are coming true! I had suspected the iPhone for Verizon not just because of the rumors but because of the way AT&T was letting people out of their contracts early to upgrade to the iPhone4. I figured they were trying to lock people in for another 2 years, knowing that the Verizon phone was coming. Where I live, Verizon's cell service is better but I hate them, so I'm okay with continuing to be on AT&T.

8. hirshey girl

hirshey girl Well-Known Member

I'm already with Verizon, so I'm excited! :D:D I've been waiting for sooooo long for this. Question: what will the iPhone 5 have that would be worth waiting for?

9. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

I'm probably going to wait for the iphone 5, in part so Verizon can work out any kinks if there are any

does anyone know what the monthly fee is for hooking this up to the interwebz?

10. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I'm waiting, too. I use data much more than voice, so ATT's service works for me. If and when there's a iPhone version that works on VZ's 4th gen network and supports simultaneous data and voice, I may think about cutting over.

As for the fee, the current VZ data fee is $30 for unlimited use and includes VCast and mobile TV. Some articles I read expect VZ to have a separate data structure and pricing for iPhone. Rates should be announced next week. The site macrumors.com should have this info as soon as it's available.

11. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I love Verizon, but hate my LG phone; it's so limited in what it can do. I'm excited about it. A good friend of mine works for them and told me weeks ago that this would happen. But I'm going to wait to see what happens.

12. Chele615

Chele615 Let's go Anacode!!!

I'm definitely excited about this...but I just got a new phone in November. But I will definitely be looking forward to switching to the iphone when my new contract is up. By then, I'm hoping that all kinks will be worked out.

13. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I have AT&T and HATE the service. Off to look into this. (And I have never surfed and talked at the same time so that's not a deal breaker :) AT&T just has lots of America with "no signal" traveled the same places with Verizon and was fine... so... BYE !

14. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I am also really excited about the WiFi thing. My current phone can't do that, or can it?

16. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

my Verizon contract ends this April but I can use my annual upgrade now. As much as I've been wanting an iPhone with Verizon I'm going to wait. I'd like a 4G phone and the Droids out there are looking pretty sweet. I'm going to have to do some research on the Motorola Droid Bionic.

17. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I am very excited about this....finally after years of waiting and rumors! :) Mr. Stormy and I have a family plan with no data currently. He has the account in his name so I don't know if you can add just one phone with a data plan to a current family plan. Anyone know?

18. Chele615

Chele615 Let's go Anacode!!!

You can. I am on a family plan with my parents and they both have the most basic phones that they can find. I have a "fancier" phone and have a data plan attached to my phone.

Stormy and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Woohoo - I signed up for the early offer for current customers.
    My contract ended 11/2009 and I saved my upgrade for this. Same with my husband. I was just getting ready to break down and get a new phone too -glad I waited.

The only thing I think I don't like is the no talk/surf at the same time, but frankly, I could talk on my bberry if I wanted to surf the iPhone at the same time.

My questions are:
    16GB or 32GB - I have a simple phone with no apps so I have no idea what I will use. I keep phones a pretty long time - 3-4 years. My husband likes to change his more frequently. But if the 4G comes along in 2 years, we would probably change. So maybe 16GB is enuf?
    I am not sure I totally understand the tethering/hotspot issues and I don't know what it costs-- but does this mean I could get a Verizon IPad and not have to buy the MiFi device for the IPad because the IPhone will be the hotspot?

The comparison articles are popping up:

http://mashable.com/2011/01/11/iphone-comparison-infographic/#
    http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/11/5814167-iphone-4-comparison-verizon-vs-att

20. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Most of the apps are small, so it depends on how much music and video you need to carry around with you. I have about 30 apps, 4,000 songs, a bunch of photos and a couple of movies on mine and I'm a little over 70% full on a 32GB phone.

The tethering will be part of the data plan and yes, it means that you can get internet access through the phone for up to 5 devices, including the standard wifi only iPad from Apple. If you plan to tether, it doesn't matter which vendor you get it from - Verizon or Apple.

21. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Rob - if you'll never put movies on and don't have a large music collection you can probably get by with 16GB. Some games and GPS apps can also take up a good amount of space, otherwise most apps are pretty small. 32GB was worth it for me to have more music.

I'm pretty excited to have Verizon as an option when my 3GS AT&T contract runs out this summer. :) It's exactly why I was reluctant to sell my iPhone to upgrade to the iPhone4 - the new features weren't worth being stuck for 2 more years. No LTE in the near future is a bummer though, I doubt the iPhone will get it till 2012 so I may want to try out the new Droids first and see how good the speed increase is.

22. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I just found articles that say yes, maybe as soon as April.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9204778/Verizon_to_get_Apple_s_3G_iPad_too?taxonomyId=16

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/01/12/verizon.ipad.mashable/

and this one speculates February: http://www.buzzbiznews.com/035012/ipad-2-release-date-could-be-similar-to-verizon-iphones/

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  23. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Same here. I skipped the iPhone 4 as I really don't do much video viewing and I HATE video calls. Waiting for the iPhone 5 on Verizon LTE so I grab TV off our FIOS DVR. Verizon really has good integration of their TV and phone offerings.

24. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

can you watch ice network on it?

25. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

NOPE. My biggest pet peeve!!! No Flash. :( Steve Jobs hates it.

Windows Phone 7 could actually end up being the best for streaming video if a future update brings both Flash and Silverlight (for Universal Sports)...will see. It'd be awesome if IN could make an iPhone app, but they're probably barely making enough from subscriptions as is without paying for app development.

26. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

There is an alternative browser that supports Flash video. It's called Skyfire and costs $2.99. The app converts Flash to iPhone compatible formats. I haven't tried it with Ice Network. Does someone already have it installed who could check?

27. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Yep, I got Skyfire. No dice, you just get a blue screen when you click on a video link.

28. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I'm thrilled --- and I am hoping that a whole lot of AT&T iPhone customers waltz over to Verizon, thereby improving D's AT&T service without us needing to buy a new phone. It's a hope.

29. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Do you know if there is a fee for tethering?

I've had Verizon for 10 years. I have had some billing issues with them which were :wall:, but they were all resolved. However, the service is the best. My best friend has AT&T and our calls get dropped constantly. She turns her head and loses a call.

30. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

I'm very excited about this, too! Can't wait to get my first iPhone!

Spinner, you'll have to get a new iPhone if you want to switch to Verizon...