iPhone for Verizon?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by myhoneyhoney, Mar 30, 2010.

1. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Huffington Post Article

Will it happen? IPhone being serviced by AT&T is the only reason I don't have one. I don't get good reception with AT&T even though I'm in the S.F Bay Area. Whenever I cross the main cross street near my home or I get on 580, my calls ALWAYS dropped! Then again that was over 5 years ago... I switched to Verizon and have had absolutely no problems with reception regardless of where I am... So what do you think? Is this another rumor that will prove to be false?

2. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I for one, hope it's true. I am eligible for an upgrade now, and have been for a year just because I haven't seen anything that I'm willing to renew my agreement for. But, if the I-Phone comes to Verizon, I'm willing to make that sacrifice.

3. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I first heard it about a year ago, and have been holding out hope ever since. I believe, though, that the contract with AT&T got extended? Not sure, though.

4. hydro

hydro Well-Known Member

I think this pretty much amounts to stock manipulation. iPhone is built around the GSM (AT&T and international standard) network, while Verizon is on a CDMA network. Apple would have to make a special iPhone for Verizon, which isn't out of the realm of possibility, but I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.

Once AT&T and Verizon go LTE (4G) with their next-generation networks in 2011, I think Apple will jump on board.

5. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

That's exactly what Apple is doing, according to the WSJ, which is the original source for the quotes in the HuffPo article mentioned by the original poster:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304370304575152242601774892.html

And a WSJ blog entry:
    http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/03/29/a-verizon-iphone-would-follow-months-of-speculation/

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  6. Ares

Ares Guest

Isn't the Android Verizon's equivelent to the iPhone?

7. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

No, Android is a Google-backed operating system for mobile phones, not a phone itself. Also, Verizon doesn't make phones. But yes, Android is the software behind certain smartphones (including the Nexus One) that are positioned as rivals to the iPhone and its operating system.

8. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

There was a story on the local news about AT&T's possibly not being iPhone's exclusive carrier. They didn't say anything more than what was here, though.

9. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

It was extended in the past I think but there's not been any confirmation of it continuing past this year (yet).

I'd love it if it was true but who knows...Verizon was already rumored for the iPad and that didn't turn out. The timing would seem right though with the increased competition from Android (ex. the new 4G phone called the Evo that Sprint announced with great specs that even the next gen iPhone is unlikely to match) and the upcoming Windows 7 mobile series (with Xbox compatibility and Netflix). Apple staying single carrier would hand a big advantage to their competitors.

It's hard to believe the G1 on T-Mobile was the only Android phone in the US this time last year. :eek: Talk about an exponential growth.

10. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

LTE isn't going to be fully deployed nationwide until years from now though. It'd be wait until then or release a phone that only works in major cities...but the longer they wait the less sense it's going to be to go ahead with CDMA. Might as well bite the bullet now. It's on the verge of getting phased out, but it won't be dead anytime within a current (released this year) iPhone's lifespan.

11. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I have a business account at Verizon, and a business rep.....he says highly unlikely for Verizon the pick up iPhone.

I have a DROID.........LOVE IT! It is intuitive and easy to use. I bought one for my husband (who can not use the TV remote.....upstairs, I even have to keep it hidden LOL) but he picked it up and in a day or so was texting, downloading apps and having a great time.

The only thing it won't do is handle iTunes (duh) which is a little bit of a drag.
    I love the actual QWERTY keyboard features.........as I ammy acrylic fingernails when I am not being my car or my hair.

As to coverage........we have 12 phones and broadband cards, and we just simply don't ever run into coverage problems.

Also, the Droid goes "DROID" when you get a message......cracks me up every time. Also, it syncs with my google accounts..........which I already know how to use. I lost one, and when I got the replacement...all my apps were there, all my contacts...pics ....everything.......they just showed up on the new phone...from outer space or something

12. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

AxelAnnie, you're making the Droid sound like it's going to be my next phone when it's time to upgrade this August, lol. (Which means Verizon will have me locked in for another 2 years...)

I'd love to see the iPhone for Verizon since I liked the phone so much each time I played around with a friend's but the Droid, I'm gonna have to play around with that!

13. Clay

Clay Active Member

I really enjoy my DROID. It's easy to use, great for multi-tasking as well. It may not have as many apps as the iphone, but most of those apps aren't really that necessary for me anyway. That DROID sound cracks me up too, even though I usually keep my phone on silent.

For those who are waiting for the i-phone, give the DROID a try.
    I've met a few people who like it better.

NO complaints about Verizon's coverage either.

14. jenlyon60

jenlyon60 Member

I will say this for Verizon...

I had great Verizon 3G coverage/speed (using their air card for HS internet access) when out in SW Tennessee (in the middle of nowhere...) this past weekend.

Had previously tried ATT aircard, and the coverage was when I sat in the right spot in the house, at the right time of day when the weather was perfect. Otherwise, nothing.

Other than HughesNet or similar satellite coverage, this is the only way to get high speed internet where I was at.