iphone 4

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Mayra, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Mayra

Mayra New Member

I pre-ordered my iPhone 4 on the 15th and to my surprise, Fed Ex delivered it today. :eek: Considering Apple and AT&T put pre-orders on hold due to high demand, I wasn't expecting it until after the 24th. :respec:

The retina display is insanely nice and the multitasking and folders option on iOS4 are great. It's thinner than the 3G but feels heavier and whereas the 3G has curvature, this one is flat in the back. The front/back facing HD camera is :kickass:.

All in all I'm loving it! :D Anyone else thinking of getting one or already have one? Thoughts?
  2. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Well-Known Member

WANT.

I am jealous. :drama:
  3. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

You have an ipad AND an ipod touch. You're cut off :p
  4. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I upgraded the OS on my Touch. It's neat, but dragging things to folders is a bit of a pain when an icon decides it doesn't want to move. I need to get a good non-iPod earbuds/mic combo though so I can use Skype with my iPod. I hate the iPod buds -- they hurt my ears.

As for the phone, I can't afford to get a new anything for another year.
  5. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Sennheiser has good, cheap buds. Bonus is they come is a nice wind up case. I have several sets.
  6. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Mayra - you're lucky you even got through the servers to preorder! Lots didn't apparently.

I have iOS4 on my 3GS now...definitely geeked out with the folders. I can't believe I only have 3 pages of icons now! How did I do without it? :lol: The one thing that sucks is I used to be jailbroken with an app called Backgrounder that basically let me multitask prior to Apple allowing it. Now I have to wait for all the streaming music apps to update and not too many have yet.

I'm upgrade eligible for the iPhone4 but I'm on the fence as to whether to renew with AT&T (especially with Verizon being very possible next year) so I'm waiting till the crazy madness at the Apple stores clears to check it out. I could sell my current phone and barely have to put any money towards the new one...but my 3GS works really well and I never had any display complaints in the past. We'll see...just as well there's no white model available yet so I can't be tempted. :lol:
  7. Angelskates

Angelskates Active Member

I have the 3GS, how to I get iOS4?

ETA: just figured it out :cheer2:
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  8. Mayra

Mayra New Member

Apple products are a little like shoes. You can never have too many! In fact, you NEED them in different sizes, type, color etc :lol:

I'm such an organizational freak that I've spent more time organizing my apps than I care to admit. :eek: :lol:

I went to the Apple store today to see if they had any "bumper" cases or screen protectors and ended up walking right by the store it was so busy. I generally hate the hassle of screen protectors, but with both sides of the phone being essentially glass, I think I'm going to have to cave in and get the screen protectors. Maybe next week when some of the fuss dies down? :yikes:
  9. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

You won't be able to get the screen protectors at the Apple Store. Apple has decided not to carry them as they had too many hassles with customers not being able to install them without lint or air bubbles. Check Amazon for Power Support Anti-Glare Film for iPhone4. Power Support films are easy to install and don't retain as much oil as competitors.
  10. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Rhianna

Rhianna ...Her?

Michael Bluth does deserve a fancy phone.
  12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Never mind. :eek:
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  13. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Anyone having problems with their iPhone 4? Was thinking of getting one but heard the calls drop and you can't hold it a certain way. Maybe the 3 is better? I don't have AT&T so I don't know if all the talk is true about the calls dropping.
  14. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I ordered mine on Saturday. Yes, if you cover the antenna with your hand you may lose your signal. Apple provides a free case and there are a number to choose from. There's an app for that!:lol: I was in the Apple store near me and talked to one of the sales kids about it.

I know a few people who have one and love it. Apparently there is a world of difference between the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 4, which is the transition I'll be making. I don't know if there's as much difference between the 3GS and the 4, though.

I went to 3 different places on Saturday, and none had any in stock. So demand is still exceeding supply. Mine may be here by the end of the week, and I understand when you turn it on, it tells you how to proceed. :lol: You call from your old phone to activate the new one and my friend said it hung up in the middle, right when it said the new phone was activated... because the old one was then no longer active. So it was very fast and easy to activate.
  15. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I found it really amusing that you had to download an app to get the free bumper. Struck me as an unusual way to sign up for one. :lol:

My bf got an iPhone 4. The first time he called me on it, I couldn't hear him at all. "Hello?" "PSSSST-[silence]-hello? Um, I can't hear anything, but if you hear me..." When I saw him later, the first thing I asked was if he had just called me on his new iPhone. :rofl: Antenna-gate lives!

It's REALLY purty though. The screen is gorgeous and before he received his case, I was fondling it all the time because the front and back felt the same and they were so smooth! :lol:

iOS4 also only works well on the new iPhone. I have a 2G iPod Touch and noticed that it's lagging and the battery life is cut down drastically. Plus it still offers an "airplane mode" with the ability to turn on your wifi, which doesn't make sense on an iPod Touch. :lol: I do like the ability to organize things by folder though...:eek:

Bf is also writing a game and it only runs smoothly on the iPhone 4 - even his older 3GS doesn't have enough processing speed. Now he has to rewrite his code for the older versions. :lol:
  16. El Rey

El Rey Well-Known Member

I got mine about 3 weeks ago, and while it is nice, the reception really does suck. My bumper should get here this week. If that doesn't fix my reception problems (I'm on the "E" network here at home many times when that never happened before) I'm going to probably end up selling it on Craigslist. It is faster, and the screen is clearer, but not worth the dropped calls for me personally. I'll go back to my 3G.
  17. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I tried the calculator for the 200 mb for 15 a month and it looks like by just doing some emails and going on 30 websites a day I'm already at 2g which is the 25 a month. Is the 200mb really that limited?
  18. Anita18

30 websites a day is kind of a lot. :shuffle:

My bf reports 200MB is pretty limited but the plans are flexible so you could go with a larger plan and see how much you actually use, and then go smaller if you have to.

Don't forget if you enable push notifications, that'll jack up the transfer rate by a ton since the phone will be checking for new email constantly. That's how some iPhone users get dumped with thousands of dollars in charges when they're traveling outside the US. :eek:
  19. El Rey

El Rey Well-Known Member

I'm on my iPhone ALL the time. And I'm not talking wireless usage. I have a 20-30 minute commute each way and I listen to Pandora. I'm constantly checking facebook and websites. I'm an iPhone junkie. I use an average of 300mb-450 a month. My sister is pretty addicted to it as well and only uses around 250mb -300 month. I believe AT&T when they say most people don't use the 2g.
  20. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

I got mine a couple of weeks ago and LOVE it. I haven't had any reception issues at all but maybe mine's new enough that they fixed the issues? I'm super impressed with the battery life. It lasts way longer than my ipod touch ever did. I drove ten hours and used the ipod pretty much the entire way and did some texting/internet-browsing for directions while stopped. I was still at half battery after all of that. I can't comment on data usage yet because I haven't got my first bill but most people I know haven't used that much.
  21. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

Yeah, I guess 30 is a lot. I don't really look at 30 dif websites, I guess more like 30 dif pages or so. I refresh pages a lot especially news. I'm addicted I guess :wideeyes:
  22. Jackie Sparrow

Jackie Sparrow New Member

I hope a general iPhone question: I've charged my iPhone until I went to bed last night, when I woke up this morning (ca. 8h later), the battery was down to 92%. I have turned off all notifications, except for Whatsapp (I didn't receive any messages however), didn't receive any calls, no sms, my email accounts are inactive. What else could be eating up my battery. 8% is a bit much when on standby, isn't it?
  23. sk8pics

Is it perhaps searching for a network and not finding it? I noticed mine does that at work and runs the battery down really fast.
  24. Jackie Sparrow

Nope, we got wireless at home and it's always connected to...

Next, please! :D
  25. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

So it's not an iPhone :p, but my netbook would have the same thing happen. Turns out there was some USB application that needed to be turned off.
  26. Anita18

My bf always puts his phone in airplane mode when he's not using it. I assumed it was because being connected all the time, even to wireless, used up battery power.

And 92%? I didn't realize Apple's battery indicator was that sensitive! I only use it as a general indicator. When I'm running low, my iPod Touch will go back and forth from being red and green and say I'm down to 20% battery power multiple times. :lol:
  27. sk8pics

Yeah, the battery indicator on my iPhone4 seems to be pretty sensitive and accurate. Anyway, I don't know, there must be something that's running and running down the battery. And if there are any network glitches it could cause your phone to search for the network. So, I don't know if that's it. I guess probably not, but I'm out of ideas right now.
  28. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Verizon to get iPhone next year
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703735804575536191649347572.html

Separately, Verizon will roll out 4G next year (unknown if this is to be incorporated into the Verizon iPhone) and Apple will also roll out a redesigned iPhone 5 next year.

If all of these get folded into one (Verizon + 4G + iPhone 5) then I'd most certainly switch from my now-antiquated 2008-era iPhone 3G.
  29. Jackie Sparrow

Airplane mode might be a good idea over night. The only thing that I haven't turned off is the "find location" thing but I've limited it to camera, google maps and the public transport app. I realise that this might eat battery but as long as you're not in the app itself, then the phone won't look for your location.

iPhone 5? What's gonna change. I can get a new one in a year, so I guess I'll have to skip iPhone 5 :D
  30. sk8pics

Wow, pretty cool. And of course I just bought my iPhone4. Oh well, I'll be ready for an update in a couple years and hopefully they'll have time to work out any kinks. I may very well switch back to Verizon, much as I hate them, because Verizon cell reception is much better at my workplace than AT&T.
  31. dbny

dbny New Member

You might want to turn off location for the camera. There was a story in the NYT about crooks using the location info on pix posted on the web to tell when people were away from home. I'm paranoid-oid, so I turned mine off.

I have Battery Doctor, an app for managing your battery function, and I've found that it always says my battery has a few percent more left than the phone does. I've never had a problem with my iPhone 4 battery running down or with using more than my 200mg data, but I'm almost always on wifi. Even when camping and having to use edge for 16 days, I only used about 120mg. I turned push and data roaming off and watched it like a hawk.
  32. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

Did you ever figure it out Jackie? Mine seems to be doing the same thing. The odd thing is that it used to be fine and just in the last week the battery has been draining rapidly :(