Invisible expensive leaks

Spun Silver

My husband also suggested you do the toilet tank dye test. His first thought was that you have a toilet issue.

He suggested that the next time you plan to leave the house empty for the day or evening, look at the water meter and write the reading down. When you return, check it again. It should not have changed (unless you have a sprinkler system that goes off or something; if possible, shut that off for the test.) If the reading changed by a couple of gallons, it's probably your toilet leaking. If it changed by 30-40 gallons, either someone is stealing your water or you have a massive leak.
Thank you! His water meter check idea is very helpful, especially the volume guides.

The one thing that bugs me about the idea that "the toilet did it" is that the problem completely stopped for several months. Does it really happen that a toilet's defective part fixes itself for a few months before breaking down again??

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Here's the thing. If you have a water leak somewhere in the water line in your yard that comes from the main water line, your yard will be soaked in the area where the water leak is. That happened to me in 2009. The water was in the area right next to my carport. My plumber found the leak and replaced the water line right in that area.

It's also been mentioned regarding toilets running, and I've experienced that in the past, too. It was the ballcock assembly along with the flapper thing that had to replaced. My water bill was around 40 dollars more than what it usually was.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Does it really happen that a toilet's defective part fixes itself for a few months before breaking down again??
Yup. One of our toilets has a misbehaving seal. It seals properly about 80% of the time, but when it doesn't, it continues to run. Our plumber thinks it could be something as out there as the temperature of the water.

Spun Silver

Who would have thought FSU at its best would show up in a thread about plumbing leaks? :rofl: Thanks, everyone. I'm in the process of finding a new plumber and will be a much more educated customer now.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Here's the thing. If you have a water leak somewhere in the water line in your yard that comes from the main water line, your yard will be soaked in the area where the water leak is. That happened to me in 2009. The water was in the area right next to my carport. My plumber found the leak and replaced the water line right in that area.
But unless your water meter is out near the street, it won't affect the meter reading. Sometimes you hear these, it will sound like water is running. If you close your main shut-off, and you still hear the sound, then it's probably in the water service outside. BTW, y'all do know where your main shut-off is, right?

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
But unless your water meter is out near the street, it won't affect the meter reading. Sometimes you hear these, it will sound like water is running. If you close your main shut-off, and you still hear the sound, then it's probably in the water service outside. BTW, y'all do know where your main shut-off is, right?
Yes, my water meter is in my front yard near the street and right before my ditch. This leak was to the left of my carport near my house and the water line lead right out to the water meter.

My shut off is where the water meter is. It's covered with a little metal door that you lift up. When the plumber came, he shut off the water and then proceeded to dig in the area where the water was in the yard. It did run up my bill for that month.

Reuven

Official FSU Alte Kacher
Yeah, I though that might be the case down South. Up here, water services are 5 to 6 feet underground and the meter is in the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information