Introducing new Pro-Am: Medal Winners Open, Oct. 5th in Japan

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ice9, May 23, 2012.

1. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Not true. She did triple toes in shows last season. And yes, she has been training, and yes, she does belong with those ladies in this competition.

2. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I would love to see Meissner skate now. She had just started to find her own natural elegance when she left eligible skating.

3. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

So I'm a little late to this thread.. I had absolutely no idea that there was going to be a show/competition of this caliber.. I would do just about anything to see this if it was on my continent.. for those of you who can go I look forward to your reports.. I would pay in a heartbeat to see so many of these skaters and I don't care about the jumping aspect as the artistry alone and programs I'm sure will be worth it.. Sluts & Yags :swoon: and so many more.. is this going to be on TV???

4. casken

casken Well-Known Member

I saw a video of Meinner skate recently, and yes there were no triple jumps, but she looked in decent shape and her skating skills and style were greatly improved.

If she's serious about doing this, I could see her getting a toe and/or sal back.

5. Teenes

Teenes New Member

Yes, in Japan (I posted the TV Tokyo dates earlier in the thread), but they have no plans to broadcast outside of Japan or stream it, unfortunately.

6. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

I am :p I loved Kimmie and I can't believe I will see her skate in a competition again, even if it's a format like this. Super excited :rollin:

7. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

I just watched Pandora's Moments of Love on Ice again today and Kimmie did a triple toe.

8. Coral

Coral New Member

Sorry about the confusion - Sarah Meier's gonna participate.

According to the Japanese article above, you need a medal of Oly Games, Worlds, Grand-Prix Finals, Euros or Four Continents to qualify for MWO. So among American ladies, technically some amateurs like Mirai Nagasu, Ashley Wagner, Caroline Zhang and and Alissa Czisny - I suppose they all could have been possible to participate. Of course they've got their schedules and priorities though. Wagner's going to compete at Japan Open, not MWO, and it sounds natural too, 'cause JO is mainly a battle of eligibles (especially for ladies).

Japanese figure skating fans appreciate pro skaters' coming all the way to Japan from overseas. As mentioned above, the main factor is artistry here, so we hope all the participants enjoy their experience.

BTW this is off topic, but it's surprising Midori Ito still competes in the adult competition in Germany, last year and this year as well. She's got challenge spirit ...;)

9. krenseby

krenseby New Member

Don't me wrong.. I do like Kimmie.. I do wish they would have found a really voidy lady. But who?

10. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

Laeticia Hubert or Bonaly...voidy and ladies' skating don't come in hand very often:(

11. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

But Hubert doesn't have the medals to qualify, does she?

12. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

^doesn't she have any euro medal?

13. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

No, she doesn't.

14. NONKO

NONKO Active Member

15. NONKO

NONKO Active Member

16. 4rkidz

4rkidz GPF Barcelona here I come

Nice to see Kimmy training so hard for this.. she is one skater that I don't think had the opportunity to really become the kind of skater she wanted to be.. with success so young before her artistic side really developed. She is one skater I wish had come back to the amateur scene but I know she had injuries and stuff..lol..

And Yagudin will always be my favourite.. nobody excited me like he did ;)

17. NONKO

NONKO Active Member

18. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Why is everyone worried about Kimmie? I thought OP said jumps didn't count in this event. She's been doing shows.

19. NONKO

NONKO Active Member

Messages from skaters
    http://www.facebook.com/txfigure

Elene Gedevanishvili
    Irina Slutskaya (Ari Zakarian)
    Happy to welcome all skaters in Japan from all over the world:)

20. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I chuckled at the "Open" in the title since the skaters were invited to compete by the ISU.

I thought it was funny that the USFS Adult Skating Facebook page called Kurt Browning an "Adult Skater." Quick, someone send him an AN bingo card, lol.
    Hmmm...they could add a box for "backflips" or "scotty turns."

I like this event idea, especially with it being just the singles for now since those are my favorite disciplines. It opens a door for skaters to prolong their on-ice careers without the grueling training for qualifying competitions. I looked at the ISU announcement and it states the skater can use hand-held/carried props and theatrical lighting. It's being judged under a modified version of the IJS Singles Free Skating rules, "A well balanced program with emphasis on artistic merit will be performed by each competitor."

I'll watch it if I can (no word on US viewing yet) - sounds like a great show/competition!

21. operagirl

operagirl Active Member

Why no Stephan Lambiel? He's perfect for this.

22. midori

midori Well-Known Member

Jingu ICE Messangers Grace is now in the cast as a "guest."
    http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/mwo2012/info.html#cast

Japan Open usually gives us a "surprise" guest skater or two with no advance announcement. I wonder if Medal Winners Open also invite some more guests between the competitions.

23. lily

lily Active Member

Stéphane probably still has those ISU restrictions?

24. seabm7

seabm7 Active Member

If Stéphane still has the ISU restrctions, then those rules apply to Arakawa, too.

It's likely that Stéphane was too busy dealing with Opera on Ice.

25. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Kurt as an "adult" skater? I could never put a label on him other than ageless!

26. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Thank you for sharing this!

Is it likely those of us not in Japan may be able to catch TV coverage of this event? Perhaps the "TV Tokyo" coverage, when it's being aired in Japan (live) or on-demand afterwards?

I'm hoping there may be an option other than scouring YouTube for videos after the event concludes (or after the TV coverage airs)... though I'll settle for YouTube videos at the least.

27. Willowway

Willowway Well-Known Member

Thank you for the broadcast details. I can't wait to see the results. It's very nice that a producer is giving a new pro comp a shot - these have disappeared completely in recent years and with them gone we do miss interesting performances by our most experienced talent. While all of these skaters participate in shows (also decreasing in number), a comp however structured is a different animal and a different environment - it should be very good!

28. t.mann

t.mann New Member

no Lambiel, no Kwan, no Sasha.
    A little :blah: show.

29. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I'm super excited for male contestants but for female contestants, seriously let down except for Irina.

30. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

She looked well prepared and ready at Evening with Champions last weekend. I know she doubled her (presumably) planned 3toe, but please keep in mind she did this program after a synchro team skated their SP. I thought she handled the awful ice conditions very well and enjoyed watching her skate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWGeAj0UQeg#t=1m00s