Interviews and articles about Moskvina on her 70th birthday

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TAHbKA, Jun 25, 2011.

1. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

I reckon there will be plenty, will start with this one
    I teach skating and living by Polyanskaya (btw, follow the link, there are some photos)
    Moskvina used to be a star in pairs skating. She used to skate with Mishin, who, just as herself, became a star coach. They went though alot as sportsmen and coaches and understand exactly what their pupils feel.

For her pupils Tamara is a second mother. Not only she teaches them to skate, but to live as well - how to talk to the teachers in the uni, how to build relationships with friends, how to plan the budget and create an image. She did forbid her pupils to congradulate her though. She is not summing up anything either. She agreed to share her best memories with the newspaper.

The costume made from underware, dancing on a sand.
    My mother made my first skating costume from my father's underware. It was a white padded material. She coloured that in pink later. The skates were someone else's - very high, almost reaching my knees. Before the competition we coloured it with the tooth powder. We skated in `Iskra' and `Dinamo' rinks. In `Dinamo' the rink was made on the tennis courts. If the autumn was snowless and then the frost came the sand would be visible through the ice. It was breathtakingly beautiful to do the figures as if on the sand. My second coach (and a future husband) Igor Moskvin was a member of `Dinamo'. I started skating at the age of 10, which was considered early back then. The generation before me started at 16, and that before them at 22.

First salary
    Once a movie maker from `Lenfilm' approached my first coach Ivan Bogoiavlenski and asked for skaters for a thene where a main hero does something with the skaters in the background. We were gathered, said we have to do sit spins and various elements. It was fun. But I remembered that we were payed so much that I could buy myself suitable sports shoes.

There was no time to coach my daughters.
    When I started training under Moskvin I was 16. We got married when I was 23. So all the romance with the others was over by the age of 20. His proposal did not come as a surprise. We had a big wedding. Took out the furniture from the parent's flat, put tables instead, borrowed chairs from all the neighbours. We decorated the walls with medals. We cooked lots of tasty things. Then the daughters were born. They tried skating as kids, but we were coaching the national team and didn't have time to teach them the basics. The younger one is an economist, she graduated from Columbia uni, the older is a linguist graduated the St. Petersburg uni.

`Bielmann' named after Moskvina
    When I was still in the uni I saw a gymnasts competition. And there was that move when she grabs the free leg with both hands and moves it to her head. I tried the same on the ice. Even performed it at the Europeans at 1960. Many years later when I was already a coach Denize Bielmann learned my element. She was very flexible. Bielmann became a champion and became well known. The element was named after her. I don't mind, there is no intellectual ownership in the sport anyway and it's hard to figure who was first in what anyway.

Figure skating - an easy job.
    Between the competitions we met the working groups. We visited factories etc. We skated and told about ourselves. It was very important for our own growth. We saw the hardships of the others. For example we went to (am not sure what is it) factory. Compared to what they do gliding while holding hands with a boy in a nice costume in a warm stadium was shocking. We started looking differently on what we do. There was responsibility. We overlooked our appreciation to our own and the others labor.

Berezhnaya's heroizm.
    Lena went through a horrible thing. While performing a parallel spin the partner started gliding towards her loosing the centre. By accident he hit her with the blade. The fact Berezhnaya came back after her accident tells much about her spirit. First there were even no talks about her coming back to the sport. Anton Sikharulidze and I agreed we will help Elena to walk again so she can find herself something to do with her life. WE didn't even hope she will be back on the ice, never mind competing again. The doctor said she sould be taken back to where she was successful and things will go back to her. When Elena and Anton started skating I was afraid to even look at them. I was just thinking `Careful! Careful!' But then everything came back and worked out for them - they won the Gold in SLC 2002.

more to come...

Vash01, Domshabfan, BittyBug and 3 others like this.
  2. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Love this...thank you!

3. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

thank you soooo much, can't wait for more!

4. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Such fabulousness!

5. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Great thread! Thanks!

6. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

She is one Of the most amazing women ever!

7. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Right, continuing

Teaching secrets.

I keep in touch with most of my pupils, but have different relationship with them. Some are more open, the others are trying to hide their private lives, studies, relationships. But the coaches know what is going on and I usually guess. Say, someone drops out from the uni and am told about it as a huge secret. So I pretend as if I didn't know. After the season is over I ask `So, are you staying for the exams? Wouldn't it be wonderful - another year and you'll have your diploma. See Smith, he haven't graduated and has a lower salary. Silly boy!'. I can sometimes even call the parents to another city and advice them what to do with the child. Sometimes I think then `God, why did I ever get involved?' but then understand, that as a teacher I have to teach my pupils not only skating, but life skills as well.

Instead of a morning fitness - working in a garden.

I don't do morning excersizes. I like long walks but even then I try to be productive, for example speak on the phone. The routine was formed by the sport : early mornings and early nights, I can't sleep during the day. In my free time I like going to the theatres, listening to the music or just sit under a tree in my summer house, smell the flowers and think of life.

My holidays are my workdays.

I never do sums up. And don't want to celebrate my birthday. Guys, we have so much to celebrate! As a nation, as sportsmen, the friends birthdays. Someone had a successful skate, someone took a medal - we celebrate. I got so tired of all the celebrations, that a day with no celebration is a celebration. so please, do not celebrate my birthday. It's not a good enough reason to gather. Those who do want to congradulate me - don't spoil your summer vacation, don't bother with the presents, just be near me during my life. It would be the best present for me.

8. parasolka

parasolka Member

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Nan

Nan Just me

Thank you both, very much. :)

The woman is simpley amazing.

10. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

She is the best! Thanks for the videos and translations.

11. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

She has to be one of the most incredible women on earth. Like seriously. On EARTH!!! she transcends 70

12. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Love the videos. She is just an amazing woman. You would not believe she is 70.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thank you for the translations and the video links. Tamara is amazing! :encore:

14. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Andrey Simonenko talks to Moskvina: I have to make my skaters' dreams come true
    AS: Tamara Nikolaevna, early at the spring, just before Mishin's birthday you said: the pupils are what keeps you on the ice rink for more than 40 years now, makes you come to the same place day after day. For you they are not some John and Jack, but pupils.
    TM: The pupils are someone else's children. We have children of our own. And someone is teaching them. I worked as a lecturer for 15 years and developed that attitude - am an educator who advices, teaches and spends a huge part of their lives with them. And I would love that life to be happy, fun and satisfying. And this is how you relate to them - they are pupils who one day will become colegues. Who you want to commmunicate with on the same language. And, most importantly, you want them to go into the real life as a whole persons.

AS: Some claim the coach has to be a bit in love with the skaters. What do you think?
    TM: There might be something in that saying. When rasing a pupil it is alot like painting them. Or sculpturing them. As for me I'm... all the youngsters... well, guess I don't love them, but I respect them a lot. Besides, the pupils is the means to connect my motivation to teach to the viewers. If my job is done well they will present it well.

AS: Do your relationship with the students change within time?
    TM: Yes. When you become older you are more experienced, the priorities change. And you start being a bit annoyed with them. Let's take an example: someone is late to the training. And I think: so he's 18y.o. What could he possibly do yesterday? Went to some stupid concert.. and so on and so on... When did he wake up? An hour before the training. And here is the dilemma: on one hand I shouldn't be too forgiving, on the other not to pick on them too much. And it's not only about being late. You can't critisize them all the time: you didn't do that well, you didn't move your arm all the way...

AS: How do you solve the dilemma?
    TM: Easy. You can say: damn you for not doing this or that, or you can say: well done, the way you managed to get back into the timing. So on one hand I payed a compliment, but on the other he realizes he had to catch up, so from the very beginning he made a mistake. I.e. I come up with the ways to speak to them in a non offensive way, so it won't get in the style of `I'm the boss, you're an idiot' but to put them on the same level with me. They realize they are respected but at the same time tutored. Some get offended anyway, but then I talk to them and say: Ok, so I'll only pay you compliments on how well you executed things. What would be the point? Are you a newbie? You are. What is your sport rank? None. What kind of coach are you? None. Why did you come to me? To gain knowledge. I have to teach you everythign. So don't take my words as a punishment or accusation, just listen. Do as I say and we'll see how it'll work out.
    more to come....

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  15. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Thank you... this thread rocks! :cool:

Gerboldt's form in the lifts is improving a lot, btw!

16. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

What a wise, compassionate woman. I respect her even more after reading these interview translations - thanks to those who are providing them.

17. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay, rather hectic day.. continuin the previous article translation

AS: When did you realize that's the right way to treat your students?
    With time and experience. I realized if I put them down all the time they will end up being ofended. On the other hand I had to praise them without hurting the learning process. As a result I formed my method as teaching them without negative emotions. And remembering all the time that there are two in a pair. For example if he makes a mistake I can't remark on that in front of the girl - next time she will be the one doing the remark. I don't need that. I will take him to a side and will explain what his mistake was. Those are small things but they matter during the work.

AS: I once read you defined the essence of coaching as quite a standard collection of methods that allows to bring a sportsmen from point A to point B. Is there a place for improvization?
    TM: Yes, and one has to improvize all the time. First of all every person is different. Secondly I have to keep them interested in what they do all the time, which wouldn't work had I used the same words. The same as in the other aspects of life - you probably will not attend the same concert several times. The same with a pupil - he'll think `I heared that before'. If somethin doesn't work out I have to find a new way explaining what every time. Come up with some explanations on the ice, in space...

AS: Nevertheless, one can listen to the great musical pieces over and over. Are there universal methods in coaching?
    TM: Yes, there are principles. Discipline. Hard working. Positive emotions in the group so they would want to come to the practices. Constant search for the new goals.

AS: That seems the hardest. It was quite obvious during the soviet times what the goals were, but how do you motivate the sporsmen now?
    TM: If you hint on the trips abroad, money and some such - we didn't even think about that ourselves. Yes, we knew that we'll be rewarded if we skate well. But it was never the main motivation. We never said `hey, let's go to another country instead of Czehoslovakia, say, USA or Canada. No, we said we'd go to Czehoslovakia because it's a closer, the flight is shorter and the acclimatizaion is easier'. Of course compared to the others who didn't have a chance to go abroad we were privileged. But first we travelled all over the USA. We visited different cities and saw how the people lived there. And we never say now to the skaters `Let's compete in China, we can do shopping there'. If we have a choice for the Grand Prix we always choose Russia first. So we'd skate for our home audience, especially before the Olympics. Then we try to pick the closest countries so the jet lag wouldn't be too bad. Of course it's interesting to go to LA. But not awarding. It's bad for the health (she is talking about hte jet lags and the time changes etc)

AS: Even the prize money are not a motivation?
    TM: They don't even know what amounts there are. One can read it now in the ISU papers, but we don't even bother. When the time comes to collect the prize - we'll know. And you know, at least in Russia it's easy enough to earn much more than the best skaters make.

AS: So what is important: both for you and the skaters?
    TM: Loving what you do. The will to skate interesting programmes. Loving the proccess itself - planning, training. The main motivation is the fun of turning the skaters into the top skaters in the world. Different skaters - well disciplined and badasses, those who are always late and those who are always on time. Calm and nervous. To find a way to work with each of them - it's so interesting! That's the motivation! Not the result or a win at all!

AS: One of the hardest issues in figure skating is coaches switching. Many times it is accompanied with dirt and scandals...
    TM: My point of view had always been very clear: say, there is a teacher in the school who teaches 4th grade. When they graduate the 4th grade where do they go?

AS: To the 5th.
    TM: Right. To another teacher. And then some other teaches teach them in the higher classes and uni. Do they all take their pupils teacher's switch as betrayal? No, it's part of the development. The same in the sports: the skater must gain the knowledge. So there are steps to follow: first one coach works with him ,then another , then someone else. Teaches him various things - first easy and then not so. Then there are indeed situations when the skaters can not get along with the coach and leaves. There are so many similar situations in life: say, the parents don't like the way their child is treated in a school. They move him to another school. What's the big deal? So I told myself a long time ago - Tamara, do not treat your pupils as slaves who must stay with you till they die. They will be working with you as long as you keep them interested. For as long as their parents see their children are taken care of and the relationship is positive. If they want to leave - it's their right. It always helped me. When I accept new pupils I always tell them: guys, when you decide you don't like it here anymore come, bring a bottle of wine, chocolates and tell me `Tamara Nikolaevna, thank you very much and goodbye'. And I will wish you well.

AS: No hard feelings?
    TM: None. I never sign any contracts with anyone that we'll work for a certain period of time. There is no need. If they are not comfortable with me I will be uncomfortable with them at some point. They'd better go somewhere where they will have more fun. Someone else will come instead - it's my work, my destiny. There were cases when my pupils were invited by the other coaches. And I knew about it. But I never worried - if someone wants to leave - they'll leave. So I was never against them going to where they were invited and checking out and then decide. If they then decided to stay nothing changed. But there were cases when I felt myself that we are lacking in understanding and decided : I will not ruin lives and my nerves, they'd better go elsewhere. And I arranged them to be asked to train elsewhere, they moved. But there were no conflicts. I was dissapointed, to tell the truth. But still said to myself: Tamara, be real. They had no contact with you. Also I have to keep in mind am payed by the country for teaching figure skating. So in order for the process to be fuitful it has to be satisfying and fun. So I have to be objective and count when there is no fun.

AS: You are so amazingly pragmatic in a situatuin where the others would be tearing their hair off.
    TM: Well, I had my moments. My parents moved me from one coach to another. I was studying under Ivan Ivanovich Bogoiavlenskii and when he moved from one organization to another I didn't go with him because I wanted to stay in the school I liked and I knew there will be a new young coach who just retired from the competitive skater - Igor Borisovich Moskvin. And then why would I be upset if I know the skater moves to another coach who is also teaching in the city. If not in the city - in the country. Be it - our world! Most important is that the skaters want to progress. And they should have an opportunity to do so. And my goal is to do everything within my power so they don't want to leave. How? To make it interesting, to motivate them by making their wishes come true. Not my wishes. Their. If all that happens there will be a result and no one will want to leave.

Simonenko writes to be continued.

18. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

19. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

Tamara Nikolaevna Moskvina (Bratus) was born on 26/6/1941. Started skating at the age of 10. Graduated with a silver medal the school and studied piano in a musical school. Cum Lauder in Lesgaft physical institute. Masters in education.

Skated as a single skater for 12 years (1953-1965). 3 times USSR champion. Twice a Spartakiada champion (1962, 1966), participated the Europeans 4 times (best result - 14th place in Moscow). A winner of both ladies and pairs in USSR nationals 1965. Coach - Igor Borisovich Moskvin.

First partner - Alexandr Gavrilov. Skated with Alexey Mishin since 1967. With him took silver in Europeans 1968 and worlds 1969, bronze in Europeans 1969 and was 5th in Olympics 1968.

Pupils; Irina Vorobiova/Alexandr Vlasov, Irina Vorobiova/Igor Lisovski, Elena Valova/Oleg Vasiliev, Elena Bechke/Denis Petrov, Natalia Mishkutenok/Arthur Dmitriev, Oksana Kazakova/Arthur Dmitriev, Elena Berezhnaya/Anton Sikharulisze, Yuko Kawaguti/Aleksandr Smirnov, Karaina Gerboldt/Alexandr Enbert.

In the Worlds, Europeans and Olympics Moskvina's pupils took 23 gold medals.

... Only on a deserted island it might be possible to talk to Moskvina about private life. Once she is not rushed and distracted. In every other place and time Tamara is a ray of energy, her whole day is scheduled till a minute and yet she manages to squeeze some unexpected meetings, interviews, visits...

Once after knowing her for many years she surprised me. I came to St. Petersburg to interview . We were supposed to meet on `Yubileiny' rink. When I came I saw Tamara Moskvina coaching. I felt very uncomfortable while approaching to say hello - my professional interest was aimed on someone else. And all the coaches, especially great ones are a jealous crowd.

Moskvina had just started coaching not so known Borzenkova/Chuviliaev. We exchanged a couple of words and I was going when Tamarar held my hand and said quietly:
    - Thank you for coming over. I understand quite well you didn't come to me and neither me nor my pupils hold any interest for you right now. But just remember: if you are ever in trouble in St. Petersburg - you know my number. And I will always happy to have you over for a cup of coffee no matter whether you write about my skaters or you don't.

Such words meant a lot. Later, coming to St. Petersburg for other reasons and usually seeing Moskvina in `Yubileiny' many times when joining her in the car and realising with all the traffic jams the car is that deserted island where one can talk to Moskvina about anything.

During one of such riders Moskvina told me about her childhood:
    - I was born in Leningrad on the 4th day of the war - 26/6/1941. Almost immediately we were moved to Ural to Lysva, where my mother's relatives lived. There were 16 children in her family but only 3 survived. My father's side of the family is from near Kiev. He had a big family as well. In a village where they lived there is still a street named after my uncle, a USSR war hero Ivan Ivanovich Bratus'. Bratus is quite a common last name in Ukraine. They even had a minister of health in the 70th named Bratus.

My father had tree brothers. One went missing during the WWII. Not long before I was born father was accepted to the air military academy. Then he fought. He completed his studies after the war was over.

EV: Do you remember anything from the evacuation?
    TM: Only others stories. For instance how I stole my cousin's bread - her whole day portion. I found it by chance, took a bite and couldn't stop till I ate it all. There were consequences.

We lived in Lysva in a huge divided between families house where my mother was born. There were plenty of tatar families in the building and mother learnt from them to cook tatarian food.

Mother's sister Nina was married to a well payed party worker. She moved with him from Ural to Moscow. Then he was prosecuted and he died somewhere in the prison. Though later he was rehabilitated.

Right after the war was over father was sent to serve in Habarovsk, and, of course, mother and I went with him. My two sisters were born there.

Then we came back to Piter and father went back to the academy, graduated and started working in a military factory. At the same time he was studying towards his PhD. He died when he was 47. Suddenly. He was never ill before.

It was a huge blow for mother. She didn't come to her senses for a year. Then slowly she was badk, found a job - a secretary in a communications institute. So it just happened that I was the one to raise my sisters. Even though I was just 5 years older than Tatiana and 6 years older than Olga. Thanks to that we are very close. My sisters have always helped me.

I started skating in St. Petersburg when I was 10. The sport was very accessible back then. Even figure skating. Not only sport - even though my father was the only working person in the family we had a car `Pobeda'. Of course the fact his parents lived in Ukraine made our lives much easier. They grew their own food, had a caw, pork, bees. They grew everything they could, sold a lot of food, passed a lot to us and the other two sons. The families were huge - when we all gathered there were 8 children near the table. And 8 adults. One of father's brothers was a diplomat. He worked in Burma and when he went there he left his son with us in St. Petersburg. Back then there were no schools in Burma he could attend.

Father's relatives were not fond of my mother at first. They were always considered rather rich, while she was poor and Russian. But then they got used to her and became fond of her. I remember once when we were going back home from Ukraine they practically drowned us in present. Onions, garlic, vegetables...

Can't say we had a great life, but we didn't lack anything. While we didn't have a place of our own we rented a room. Lived there all 5 of us. When we got our own apartment the first thing father did was to buy a grand piano. Imagine - a 12m room, 2 beds, 2 tables, exit to a balcony and a grand piano in the middle!

Though later he realised it was silly. We sold the grand piano and bought a piano. So my sisters and I attended an evening music school.

EV: How did you start skating?
    TM: When my father was still a student he had sports classes twice a week and always took us with him. I was an excellent pupil at school, and once I was paired with a girl who didn't quite behave. It mainly meant she wrote notes to a boy she liked during the classes. So they made her sit with me hoping she'd learn from me.

I found out from her she studied figure skating under Ivan Ivanovich Bogoiavlenskii on `Iskra' rink. So I decided to join. I only had hockey skates back then. I haven't heard of blade covers back then, so I just put the skates on and walked to the rink. Fortunately it was just across the bridge.

That girl became my main rival later. She was beautiful, colourful while me... the greyness itself.

In 1957 I started training under Igor. I was just 16 y.o. when I joined the group. First I didn't even think he'll pay any attention to me. He was handsome, tall in a fashionable cloths. And me - tiny, with a black coat and horrid boots. Almost everyone dressed that way after the war.

Igor Moskvin recalled one of Moskvina/Mishin's programmes creation was ironic:
    IM: As for the style we didn't really have a choice. Lesha Mishin was short, so was Tamara. So there were no advantages to take with which they could win or at least draw attention. Till I thought of the music.
    It was by chance. In 1968 when we started preparing to the worlds in Colorado Springs Tamara, Lesha and I were in a summer camp somewhere in the south of Ukraine. We once went to a restaurant for lunch. Three jews were playing the violins. I asked them to play a couple of melodies for us. And we recorded that right there in the restaurant.

For the LP we took a popular back then song. They used to sing a filthy song using the same melody....
    In the SP we used a grotesque silly music. Of course someone `nice' immediately reported we had a lewd music that was not appropriate for the soviet skaters who are to compete abroad. I was called to give explanations.

The head of the winter sports back then was a great guy. Unfortunately I can't recall what his name was. After long talks with his colleagues and our critiques he let us keep the music.

EV: When you were coaching your wife with Alexey Mishin was it hard or easy to work with her?
    IM: Mishin was always on my side. Tamara always wanted to lead, so when she was swept away with the new ideas she needed to be reminded she only sees her part, but not the whole pair. Back then every element was tested so it will look as if facing the audience from every angle. It's not always obvious from the ice.

EV: Do you remember Tamara joining your group?
    IM: She came from Ivan Ivanovich Bogoiavlenski's group. She used to skate on a tiny rink where she had to service the ice herself. Tamara started as a single skater - became the USSR champion 5 times and participated the Europeans 4 times. In 1965 in Moscow she was 14th. But the problem was that back then the main ladies coach was Tatiana Granatkina-Tolmacheva, who worked in Moscow.The head of the federation was her husband Alexandr Tolmachev. So even though Tamara was not from Mosocw and 3-4 years older than Tolmacheva girls, she had no chance to remain in the team. So she made a right decision that there is no point continuing skating as a single. Come to think of it, artistically she lost to Tanya Nemtsova. Tanya's sight was not great, so she didnt' do too well in the figures. But Tamara wasn't ideal there either.

EV: What were her points?
    IM: The same as now. Spirit. Stubbornness.

Not long before the Olympics in Vancouver I asked Moskvina:
    EV: Isn't it absurd that the low state of figure skating in Russia when almost everyone who could make things better participates a show - the consultants, coaches, federation president...
    TM: There are good sides of those projects, she replied. If they make the parents and the kids sit in front of the TV and watch music/sport shows it's not bad. Figure skating is, of course, much more popular in the country. I can see it by the amount of parents who bring their kids to the rink. It's a fact.

EV: Do you watch the shows yourself?
    TM: Yes. I like watching what are the strong and weak points of each pair and how are they to hide the weaknesses. I like the choreographers' work, their ideas, the ability to stress the partner's strong points.The usage of costumes and make up. As a professional am very interested in all that. They give many ideas which can later be developed. Whether it's music or style. Sometimes I'm even envious seeing how people spend less than two weeks getting a dance ready and skate it as if they've been paired a long time ago. I'm a professional, work with my skaters two times a day and I can't get such artistry and stability from them. I want to understand why.
    Of course the complexity of the sport is incomparable. Nevertheless I constantly think how and what should be done to receive the final product faster.
    The highlight of one of the ice show was an exhibition where Moskvina was offered to skate with Mishin many years ago. Recalling that she was ironic:
    Since I always work on the skates during the trainings it wasn't hard for me to skate for a couple of minutes. We had to recall our number. Mishin and I held several trainings together, which was very interesting for our pupils.
    Though there were so many problems from the very beginning. It turned out my partner has pains in the neck and back and can't perform certain elements. My arm hurt, so I couldn't perform some other elements, for instance the dead spiral. So it just happened that we couldn't execute any elements we did back then. I offered to revive the ending at least- where i climb Mishin's back and shout `Hurray!' but we soon realised he can't sit low enough and I can't climb high enough....

20. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Thank you very, very much for your time TAHbKA! :encore:

I'm glad it's Moskvina's 70th birthday and we are getting all these interviews. She may be one of the older coaches, but in a way she is the youngest. She sounds so open to new things and seems to be learning every day. She's so full of energy, so interested in people, so polite yet outspoken.

There's nobody quite like her. She's in a class of her own. :)

21. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

I couldn't have said any better. :)

Happy Birthday, Tamara! :cheer:
    May you be able to do the push up/handstand (whatever it's called) for many years to come.

22. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

23. Nan

Nan Just me

24. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

Thanks, I enjoyed that! :)

She was doing a Biellmann spin before Denise Biellmann had started skating? It should be called the Bratus spin. Moskvina was robbed! :lynch:

25. skaterdelight

skaterdelight New Member

Thank you so much for this translation. As always, Moskvina is so insightful and delightful. The description of her and Mishin trying to recreate their program is hysterical!

26. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

OMG she is amazing.

She should appear in the Wonder Woman movie as Wonder Woman's grandmother.

27. Civic

Civic New Member

What an inspiring woman. I should have her energy. Btw, if she is now 70 then Alexei Mishin must be at least that old.

28. skatesindreams

What a great idea!

29. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

Yes.
    Actually, there was a on-ice celebration some months ago with all of his skaters and he skated with Moskovina.

30. skatesindreams