Interviewing Sjoukje Dijkstra! Questions for her?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by manleywoman, Jan 10, 2014.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Hi everyone. I *may* get the chance to interview Sjoukje Dijkstra while she is here for the US Nationals. I know a lot of people here have some fantastic background knowledge on her, and would love the chance to ask questions . . . and considering my crazy schedule here I could use the help compiling questions!

So please ask them here. Thank you!
    Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  2. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

How is her name pronounced? :shuffle:
  3. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I've heard "Soo-kee Dyke-stra"....So she's here in the USA for Natls? Amazing. Why? Friends in Boston? (Why not? I suppose.)
  4. lotte86

lotte86 New Member

5. alj5

alj5 Well-Known Member

1. How did you get involved in figure skating?
    2. Which figure pattern was your favorite and why?
    3. Which free skating program was your favorite and why?
    4. When did you move to London for training, did you speak English, and what kind of an adjustment was that (i.e. who went with you, etc)
    5. 1961 must have been a difficult year, as you were arguably the favorite for the world championships which were cancelled. How does an 18-year old process the death of an entire country's team, how were you told of the cancellation of the world championships, and what was it like in 1962?
    6. You've been commenting on figure skating for Dutch television for many years, what are some of the performances you've witnessed that are particularly memorable?
    7. If you couldn't be involved in figure skating, what other career would you like to try?
    gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

Who are her favorite skaters?

What are her predictions for Sochi?

How has the popularity of figure skating in Netherlands changed over the years? Why have we not seen top skaters emerge from that country since her era?
  7. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I too would be interested in knowing about why there have been so few top skaters from the Netherlands since then. Dianne de Leeuw is the only one I can think of, and she trained primarily in the US.

I'd like to know how her height affected her skating (e.g. was it more difficult to do any elements). Wikipedia says she is 5 foot 7 inches tall, and she certainly must have been one of the tallest competitive skaters in her era.
  8. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Do you have any special memories of Innsbruck and the 1964 Winter Games besides your own competition?
  9. avivadawn

avivadawn New Member

What was your favorite competition and why?
  10. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

From the footage available, I have admired her robust jumps. Did she try triples? What was her interpretation of the attitude of the skating community about multi rotation jumps and more athletic elements during her time?

How much ice time did she have to dedicate to figures? Does she think they should still be in competition?

Which competition format does she think is the most fitting for the sport (figures/freeskate, figures/sp/freeskate, sp/freeskate)? Which scoring system did she think was most fair, including the IJS?

Is there anything she misses from past eras? Is there anything she thinks is better now? In terms what is included in programs, competition, traditions in the sport, etc.

Her father was a speed skater, did she ever try that sport?
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
    gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Mathman

Mathman New Member

She was inducted into the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame, along with Michelle Kwan, last night.

Cool if you get the interview, Manleywoman!
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

This is a predictable question but I'd like to hear her opinions on IJS also. Does she think she would've fared well under the new system?

Which skaters after her did she admire/ follow ?

What were her best qualities as a free skater? Her best/favorite jump and spin that she did?

Her thoughts on The Kween :)
  13. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I would be curious to hear her views on transitioning from life as a competitive skater, especially as Olympic champion, to life as a civilian. Some skaters like Tenley Albright went straight on to other careers while others like Evan, Plush, and Fumie don't seem to be able to hang up their skates even though their bodies appear to be telling them to.
  14. sadya

sadya Active Member

Great! I can't wait to hear the interview.