Interviewing Rohene Ward . . . any questions?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by manleywoman, Mar 18, 2013.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Hi all. I'm interviewing Rohene Ward for the Manleywoman SkateCast tomorrow. Anyone have any questions for him?

Thanks!
  2. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

If he could have done anything different in his eligible career, what would it have been?
  3. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I'm very interested in his choreography, so anything about that and is there anyone he would like to choreagraph for?
  4. Smiley0884

Smiley0884 New Member

Does he have any formal dance or ballet training? :)
  5. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

If you could beg him to convince Jason to keep Liebestraume for another season, that'd be great. ;) nah, just kidding.

What I really want to know was what his stretching regime was like to keep himself that flexible!
  6. figuresk8302

figuresk8302 New Member

Who are his favorite skaters to work with?
  7. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

How did he and Jason come to form their partnership, which is so special?
    What were his favorites among his own skates?
    Did he have a choreographic mentor? or in general, how did he get started as a choreographer?
    What does he think of the IJS? What is it like to work with, both as a skater and choreographer?
    Is there anything he would like to see changed about the IJS? How about the structure of competitions?
    Who are his own favorite skaters (current or retired) and why?
  8. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

Will he be working with Jason Brown again for his programs this upcoming season? Are there any other skaters that have expressed interest in working with him for choreography?
  9. Quintuple

Quintuple papillon d'amour

Since he could rotate in both directions, what are some of the more unusual combinations he could do?

I've always wondered if he could tag a lutz in the opposite rotating direction from his first jump, since landings are usually on the outside edge. A crazy one: 2lutz (in more comfortable direction) - 2 lutz (opposite rotation) - 2lutz (back in the original rotational direction)
  10. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Where would he like to take his career in the next 10 years? Where does he get his inspiration as a choreographer?

Also, please tell him how many people appreciate his choreography ( and love his skating). Have a great time!
  11. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

On a related note... what were some of the highlight(s)/favorite moment(s) from his competitive career as well as his lowest moment(s) and/or biggest regrets? (if he doesn't mind sharing them)

What are his favorite places in the world that he has visited during his eligible/pro career so far and why?
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  12. Spun Silver

How does he REALLY like performing on a cruise ship (esp. after the recent disasters)?
  13. seabm7

seabm7 Member

I'm curious on how European ice shows are working for skaters. What they require, for example. And how could he adjust to different business environment?
  14. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

Who has been his influences, musically, skating wise.
  15. Sylvia

Yes, I believe so.

I don't recall he has performed on a cruise ship yet? He talks about his Holiday on Ice tours in Europe in this article from last year (June 2012): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120618&content_id=33511892&vkey=ice_news

ETA:
    Good question. IIRC, he once said he could land all reverse (clockwise) triples except for the flip and Axel. I believe he has only attempted a reverse double Axel in sequence with a regular triple Salchow in competition. He performs a clockwise 2A-CCW 2A sequence in this 2002 exhibition in Vienna, AUT (he was 19 at the time): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAdIn-NFKhc
    manleywoman, I'd like to know (if he can remember!) if he had this exhibition number prepared ahead of time or was it a spontaneous one-time only performance?
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  16. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

Are there any pieces of music that he wanted to skate to that he never got a chance to use? Or, rephrased, if he came back for one year, a la Sandhu, what would his competitive programs be - would he skate to two pieces of music that he's never had a chance to use, or are there two old competitive programs that he would want to bring back (if so, which ones?).
  17. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

How wonderful that he works with Jason, a skater whose style and ability mirrors his own!
    I'm really looking forward to this interview.
  18. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I'm curious how he feels about the media hyping up and coming skaters such as Gracie Gold. Does he feel it provides them with more opportunities and support, or does he feel the high expectations cripple their self-confidence when they don't live up to their hype right away? Is it a distraction for a junior level skater to have an agent or is it a help?
  19. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

How long does he plan to continue with Holiday on Ice?

I'd love to hear more details about Holiday on Ice, since it doesn't exist in the US. Does Rohene think HOI would be a success in the US?

Does his schedule include any performances in the US or Canada any time soon?
  20. manleywoman

Thanks all for the questions! Some of them I didn't see until after the interview happened. It was an awesome interview! He was so open, and forthcoming, particularly about how confused he was as a underprivelaged black teen in a more white privilaged sport. I was really impressed with his composure.

As for one little tidbit, he did tell me (and it's part of the recorded interview so he/I don't mind sharing it) that he has filed paperwork to get back his eligibility and compete this year. :) He may not do it after all, but he has filed the paperwork and is considering it. ;)
  21. manleywoman

Yes, he can. :)
  22. Sylvia

Great to hear! Whether or not he ends up competing, I just hope I have a chance to watch him skate in person again.

I just found out he choreographed a new exhibition number for Jason Brown -- "Fly me to the Moon" -- that Jason performed in a show in Jackson, Wyoming this past weekend. Hope we'll get to see this sometime!
  23. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

Thanks! I look forward to listening!
  24. Spun Silver

Very interesting. I wonder what his goal is ... it seems he would be competing against his own... muse? It is always great to see him and I'm sure fans would give him a warm welcome.
  25. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

OMG that would be awesome! :D
  26. Sylvia

Looking forward to your interview, manleywoman! Especially since Rohene Ward announced on his Facebook today that he has signed up to compete in the Broadmoor Open club competition in Colorado Springs in late June! :D (this will be his first competition since 2008 U.S. Nationals)

ETA manleywoman's reply to me on Twitter:
    @MWskatecast: "Rohene's recording was perfect for 1st half, then got garbled. :( Rerecording next week when he's here for PSA. #techprobs"
    Last edited: May 11, 2013
  27. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

Aw, shucks that the interview already happened, but I always wondered how someone with his talent but would have done if he had come from a more well-to-do background and had more training time.

I have a feeling he'd be humble about it, but I wonder how far he feels he would have progressed if money wasn't an issue and if he could afford the same amount of training time and level of coaching as the top skaters
  28. manleywoman

^ Since he and are getting together again in two weeks to re-record the last half, I'll ask him. :)

In 64 interviews, its the first time I've had the recordings go haywire. The first half literally was perfect, and then the last half of his track just went bonkers . . . echos, distortion, etc. I interviewed Phil Hersh a few weeks later with the same equipment and all was fine, go figure!
  29. Sylvia

Was this part in the first or second half of your interview?

ETA: IMO, Ward was very fortunate to have the support of his long-time coach in Minneapolis, Page Lipe, and I would like to hear how he would describe their relationship over the course of his competitive career, looking back now.
    Last edited: May 11, 2013