Interview with Weir `Deep down I'm an old Russian Lady'

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TAHbKA, Jun 6, 2012.

1. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

After 7-8 months I calmed down enough to watch the skating. I think I should had finished 3rd in Vancouver.
    :rofl:

SM: You once said when you skate you are in the world of your dream and you want to take the viewer there with you. What does that world look like?
    JW: Like the inside of the cloud. It's all sparkling and smells with Chanel n. 5

:rofl:

Must save this quote.

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

It's awesome, isn't it? Even if I am not a fan of Chanel No. 5.

3. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

^ Yes, he really should write, I'm surprised his book was so boring. I guess he's better at speaking.

4. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. That guy is hot

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Delusional. :p

And this sums up Johnny Weir and is also why I dislike him.

He's a terrible narcissist and his 'weirdness' in contrived in order to provide him a lot of attention (pot > kettle, I know :D).

Having said that, it is true that Weir is the only celebrity amongst the current crop of US skaters. A Z-list celebrity he might be but a celebrity nevertheless and as a number of posters have remarked already in this thread, some people (who know nothing about skating) actually know who he is.

And love him or hate him, you do talk about him.

So yeah he might bring attention to skating and that's always a good thing.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  6. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Yes, though I think I saw it on The Learning Channel in 2006. It followed four US female skaters in the 2005/2006 season, one of whom was Alissa Czisny.

I would love to see Johnny's show!

7. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Very open and honest interview. :cool:
    But not too sure whether the 'old people who rule the sport' like being told they are old :D, and mothers who send their sons to figure skating like the idea that 'figure skating has gay reputation'. :p
    Good luck Johnny. Just do what you love to do! Be yourself as you say. There is only ONE AND ONLY ONE JOHNNY WEIR.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  8. Poggi

Poggi wannabe flower-girl

Also Bebe Liang and Danielle Kahle, but I can't seem to recall the fourth one.

9. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Sandy Rucker was the fourth girl

10. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

When Weir says he should have won bronze, the question is who should have won gold and silver? I wouldn't be surprised if he said Plushenko and Takahashi. ;)

11. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

That would have been a really good follow up question. And I think you are right. I would say Lysacek and Takahashi, but Johnny probably wouldn't. I think Johnny should have been 4th, or maybe 5th.

12. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I guess we'll never know what he really thought the results should have been, but my guess is he'd say 1) Plushenko (quad), 2) Lysacek, 3) Weir (because Takahashi fell).

13. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I can't see Weir putting a clean 8 triple Lysacek above himself with 8 clean triples. :p I was thinking he would put Takahashi second because of his artistry and the fact that the fall was on a quad. Weir is no fan of Patrick Chan so he's not in the equation. He might have had Lambiel for silver. Lambiel was shaky, but he didn't fall and he attempted two quads.

14. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

Thank you for the translation, TAHbKA! Interesting interview!

15. reut

reut Active Member

He wrote about Olympics:

So I think he would put on the podium neither Takhashi nor Lambiel.

After such statement I wondered if he ever even tried to understand how COP works.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  16. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

My guess is he would have preferred: 1) Plush; 2) Evan; 3) Himself.

I do think he should have beaten Lambiel and Chan, but not Takahashi.

17. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

I wonder if his marriage will last till Sochi.

18. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Gallant says: I believe I have what it takes to win!
    Goofus says: I'll win because the others all suck.

But that's so johnny. He's always taken negative attention as better than no attention at all, and he'll say anything outrageous if it will get him press. He's never been polite or nice, that's why he's famous.

19. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

I found it interesting that he was "shocked" that Evan congratulated him on his marriage. I always kind of got the feeling that Johnny had more of a problem with Evan than Evan had with Johnny.

20. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Interesting comment, what makes you wonder?

21. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Or maybe he's not accounting for maturity. Maybe young teenage Evan once said something antigay and Johnny branded him forever homophobic for life, because people never grow up or change their opinion. :lol:

22. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

I'm a gay male.
    I love outspoken athletes and hate canned, PC quotes.
    Many of my favorite skaters are Russian.

Taking this all into account, you'd think I'd be a big Weir fan, but I. Cannot. Stand. Him.

The namedropping, pretentiousness, wuzrobbing, and Z list celebrity whoring should all make me :cheer: for his tackiness. But it drives me crazy.

If someone can help explain this, I'd be thankful. But this interview made me nauseous.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  23. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

That outfit is ridiculous. An old Russian lady would never wear this horror to a ballet gala.

25. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Hmmm.. is that a dress under a jacket? It does look .'unusual'....strange combination-masculine and feminine. Being Johnny, he's probably only trying to make a statement! :D

26. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

You expect appropriate from Weir? He is intentionally provocative and inappropriate, it satisfied his hunger for attention.

27. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I'm sure you're right.

Personally, I'd love to see Johnny (as a competitor) stop being so concerned about "making a statement" and let his skating do the real talking.

28. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

Buncha haters up in this thread. Ah well, more for the rest of us. I will gladly take it ^__^

29. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Well in today's world it's not what you actually accomplish anymore but if you get notice. That's what it's all about now. People are just attention whores. Just watch TV sometimes. I mean what exactly do the Kardashians contribute to society except STD'S? :lol:

30. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I happen to be a Johnny fan and many times I do cringe at his wardrobe choices, but I had the pleasure of meeting him several times and he is one of the nicest people I have ever met. I admire that no matter how tired he is after a long plane ride or after a show, he will not hesitate to, not only sign autographs but talk to the fans and listen to what they have to say.