Interview with Weir `Deep down I'm an old Russian Lady'

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TAHbKA, Jun 6, 2012.

1. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Except that a lot of those you listed don't have diva personalities.

2. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

SM: I have an impression all your weirdness is calculated....

:rofl: I love Russian interviewers!

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Editing could take care of that :rofl:

Poggi and (deleted member) like this.
  4. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

How could you not remember Helio Castroneves? ;-)

Given the number of times that I have seen Evan's name mentioned the last few weeks regarding the DWTS All-Star season, I would say that it is safe to assume that many of the DWTS viewers (and journalist that write about the show) remember Evan. Will all the viewers remember Evan's name? No. However, given Evan's success on DWTS, I think that it is naive to assume that ONLY die hard skating fans know who he is.

5. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

The only skaters that non fans today in the US know of are Tonya Harding, Nancy Kerrigan, Brian Boitano, Michelle Kwan, and possibly Katerina Witt. Maybe Kristi.

Most of my gay friends who are not skating fans know who Johnny is. He has never been the topic of conversation with my straight friends so outside of the gay community (at least in my experience) he is not a household name.

I would agree no one in the US knows Evan and that he is not a household name. But they also have no idea who Sarah Hughes is, or Tara Lipinski is and they think Michelle Kwan has won 5 Olympic Gold medals LOL.

Overall I liked his interview however I think he thinks he is more popular than he really is.

6. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago he was quoted in PEOPLE magazine as saying that this was the quote he chose for his entry in his high school yearbook. If it's that much of his favourite, I'm surprised he isn't quite sure who it's by.

7. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

^ Maybe he doesn't actually read that volume of Pushkin he carries around everywhere.

8. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

You forgot Joannie Rochette. Difference between her & Johnny is that she is an inspiration for skating so soon after such a tragedy. Johnny seems to be more of a sideshow.

9. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

I guess Lysacek only has 64,000+ followers on Twitter because NO ONE knows who he is.:rolleyes:

10. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

64,000 is about 0.018 % of the population of North America.

11. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

That is not the point. Someone made an absurd statement that NO ONE knows who Lysacek is. Having 64,000+ Twitter followers says otherwise.

12. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

They didn't mean it literally, they just mean he's not a household name like Tonya Harding etc. It's just that skaters aren't known as widely anymore because there's either no scandal or no one is dominating for long periods of time.

13. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I'm from the US, and I have to say that hardly anyone knows anything about skating. A lot of people I know don't even know Tonya Harding. I'd say that Sasha Cohen is probably very well known, but none of the male skaters.

14. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I really don't think the average American knows who Joannie is (by name).

I asked 4 people in my office to name male figure skaters and got Browning, Boitano, and Hamilton (twice). When I asked for a current one 3 said Weir., the other no idea.All thought Kwan was a gold medalist. One thought she was still skating.
    None could name the Canadian ladies skater whose mother died rigbt before the Olympics. Three remembered the story.

Just like in a few months I'll know the names of tons of swimmers, but by December it will probably just be Phelps if I'm called upon to name one.

15. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Lochte. Ryan Lochte. :grope:

16. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Great comment! Very true!

17. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Does anyone really believe he carries it everywhere? I've never seen him skate with it in hand. lmao

WHY AM I GETTING POP-UPS ON FSU SHOWING ME SINGLES IN MY CITY WHO ARE LOOKING FOR A DATE? JESUS!!!!!:eek: Any way to stop that?

18. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Those who know Tanya and Michelle are a dying breed.

19. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

Maybe if he skates to Selections from Evgeni Onegin he will.

20. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

First of all, lol at anyone that tries to make anything Johnny says literal. It never works that way with Johnny :rofl: You're just going to end up butthurt trying to puzzle the statement about nobody knowing who Evan is :rofl: Besides, it's just not a Johnny interview if he doesn't take a swipe at Evan :slinkaway

Thank you for the translation. I don't care if he wins or loses when he comes back, I'm looking forward to it. I watch skating in part to be moved, and entertained, and... well, let's face it, they don't give international gold medals to anyone other than PChids anyway, so I may as well be entertained while watching the battle for silver and bronze :scream:

21. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

:rollin::rollin::rollin: Yes please!

...oh, were you not serious? :( I really want a series that follows a skater (or several) around for a season and shows what they REALLY do.

Maybe that's the point? :p

22. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Oh, I would LOVE for it to happen, but the likelihood is not very good I think. If only our aspiring divos could engage in a sex tape that goes viral to a majority of the population, then the idea of a successful US reality tv show could become more of a reality. Maybe we should all start a letter writing campaign to the mucho sexy Andy Cohen; I ain't too proud to beg! :rollin:

23. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I was thinking maybe Claire Ferguson and Morry Stillwell can roll a giant egg onto the ice for the men's short program in Sochi for Johnny to emerge from.

24. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

On a related note... has anyone heard when the second season of "Be Good Johnny Weir" is scheduled to make its debut on the Logo channel?

25. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

It will only work if he emerges from the egg bleeding from his groin area with a stunningly paranoid expression on his face. *wonders how many of the ISU judges would fall out of their chairs* :eek:

26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

No, but thank you. Are these re-runs or new shows? I could watch this forever.

27. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Wasn't there already a show like that, years ago, with a bunch of up-and-coming girls? Seems to me it was on Discovery.

28. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

...dressed in a costume made of meat and strategically placed rhinestones. :p

29. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

No idea. Whenever Logo is asked, they just go "We will let you know when we know!" I've been wondering if they want to launch alongside the new skating season at this point...

30. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Supposingly after RuPaul's show is finished for the season, Johnny's will return.