Interview with Romain Haguenauer

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by cholla, Mar 9, 2012.

1. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

skatesindreams, Jenya, alilou and 3 others like this.
  2. 4rkidz

4rkidz plotting, planning and travelling

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading that on my train journey this morning.. Very interesting his discussion regarding the Duschaneys :)

3. Nan

Nan Just me

Thank you, I really enjoyed reading that. :)

4. morqet

morqet Well-Known Member

Thanks cholla, that was a great read.

5. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Thank you! I loved that interview. Not the least because it showcased "On the one hand, on the other hand... " aittitude that I can relate to so well. On the one hand, Ice Dance is fabulous technically these days, really never better. On the other hand, a certain degree of abandonement and creativity is lost. Is there a right attitude? Not really.
    Always a pleasure to read a detailed account of insider's feelings. And good luck to Zahorsky/Miart! :)

6. cholla

cholla Fearless Musher

It's my feeling too. I still enjoy a lot of things in ice dance, the incredible technical difficulty being one of them. But I can't help missing the artistry and all the emotion that was conveyed by programmes before. On one hand, ice dance now looks more "sporty" in the eye of the casual fan so it can appeal to some people who were shunning the discipline before. On the other, what was before a huge part of the game, the "show" as in off ice dance/theater/ballet, has become less important. I'm still a big fan of ice dance and I don't think the new system is killing it (although I miss the divas cause it was fun in a :eek: kind of way :lol:). I just see the whole thing as being a (long lasting) phase where technicallity is more rewarded than the rest. It's a shame for artists at heart who ooze creativity and originality. It's a blessing for hard working technicians. I read everywhere that in ice dance, there is "dance" and that it's the most important thing blah blah, but there is ice too so it's not only about dancing and it has never been. It will always be difficult to find an ideal mixture of both, and what's ideal for some (skaters, coaches, choreographers and fans) isn't for others. Any sport which rankings and results depend on human judgement will always be subjected to preferences and biases. Figure skating in general and ice dance in particular are a good example of "no perfect solution/system can be found/founded".

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

8. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Interesting paragraph about the lack of DIVAS in dance :lol:

9. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Great interviews, thanks a lot for sharing.

He's a really clever guy. I always liked his work and I appreciate him even more now. :)

Didn't know he was openly gay. Is his boyfriend the Alexandre Navarro who choreographed for Stephane Lambiel? He's incredibly handsome! :swoon:

I wish the book they did together was available in English.

This makes me so angry...

If the judges started rewarded the complexity in program construction, we'd see a lot more of it.

But since they don't, why bother?

And this is how we end up with Morozov choreography. :wall:

Crone/Poirer not getting any recognition for their incredible Beatles FD was just :mad:.

That's exactly how I feel as well.

Takahashi's musicality is just one in a million.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  10. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

No, the choreographer who worked with Lambiel (as well as with several ice dancers and with Joubert and Abbott in 2010-11) is Antonio Najarro.

Very good interview, definitely - I'm not sure he always quite answered the questions, but the answers where interesting regardless. The one in Annecy Infosports is a great read, too.

I think this is often true not just in ice dance, though one can argue that ice dance is hurt by it the most.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Ahh of course! Thanks. :duh:

12. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Wonderful interview!
    Full of interesting perspectives about the world of dance.